PDA

View Full Version : About to Purchase my First Truck

Matt Hermann
02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
About to buy my first truck...get my license late March, but came across this truck and think i'm going to buy it. It does have a decent amount of miles, that's the only con. I'm planning on having a mechanic check it out soon, but other than that I don't see too much wrong.

Here is the link- Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks-

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2723059696.html

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Are you going to be working it?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pietro
02-04-2012, 07:30 PM
search craigslist EASTERN SEABOARD. Much more results. An F 150 might be good enough for ya, but V8 fuel economy is all the same. You might as well get an F250. Better to have more truck than you need, because if your business gets a little bigger thru the years the f150 will get outgrown fast.

Matt Hermann
02-04-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah lightly working. As in trailer with mowers and such. And I commute to school each day so I'm looking for an f150 then upgrading eventually of necesicary.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-04-2012, 08:27 PM
I run a Dakota 4.7 V8 and it works just fine for me now. Don't always listen to the 'big hulking truck' theories, get what works for you.

mowerbrad
02-04-2012, 09:24 PM
Wasn't it you who was looking at this same truck a month or so ago? If I remember correctly, the guy hauled stone or something like that once in a while? If that is the case, you may have to wonder why that truck is still for sale.

Now, with a 135,000 miles there could be a few parts that need to be replaced. But that is going to be with any truck. Honestly, I don't think 135,000 is that many miles. I plan on getting near 200,000 out of my truck before I sell it and get another new one. At your age, you probably won't be driving all that many places. Sure, you will be driving around town, but I doubt you'll be taking too many trips. So you won't be putting that many miles on the truck each year. I do about 15,000-18,000 miles a year.

Keep up on the maintenance and treat the truck right, it will serve you well. You really don't need to get a bigger truck. I know far too many people just say, "get at least a 3/4 ton, anything else is worthless". Sure, 3/4 ton and other HD trucks have their place, but 1/2 ton trucks are very capable and will do quite well, especially with airbags already on the rear suspension.

If you have a mechanic go over the truck, make sure it is one that you trust.

32vld
02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Air Bags in rear means this truck was used to carry more weight then it was designed to carry and carry it often.

No one will put in air bags to over load a truck once every year.

And as pointed out if this was that truck posted before pass on it.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I don't disagree that half ton trucks work. However if you want to haul heavier loads in bed or larger trailers loaded with gear you may want to lol at a larger truck. Good luck with you r choice just my two cents look toward future needs not just right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

metro36
02-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Have an experienced mechanic look over the truck. See if you can get the maintenance records or at least ask what has been done. It will probably need its second set of shocks (front and back) if they haven't already been replaced. Ask if the plugs have been changed. If not, they will need to be done and it can be expensive. They are hard to remove and break really easily. If they break it is very difficult to remove them and that is when it will get expensive. Make sure the power windows work (no hesitation when raising) cause the lifts have a tendency to go and cost about $350 to replace. Then the regular maintenance things like brakes, tires, air filter, and fluids should be checked. I could go on and on.

I had an 04 F150 Supercab FX4 with the 5.4 as my first truck. I bought it with 40k on it and sold it with 65k on it. I had it for about a year and a half and it turned into a headache. I had a buddy of mine who is a mechanic inspect it before I bought it and he found a few minor maintenace things but nothing major. Then I started have problems. Started off with little things and got to the point where I had to rebuild entire systems of the truck. Now I am not saying that you will have all of the problems I had, I am just say be careful if you buy it. If you have any doubts that all of the maintenance wasn't done or if it wasn't done on time, don't buy it.

siclmn
02-04-2012, 10:34 PM
My first truck was a 1/2 ton, hated it. When you would load it up with bark or rock it would wallow all over the place, always buy a 3/4 ton for a work truck.

ric1
02-05-2012, 07:55 AM
About to buy my first truck...get my license late March, but came across this truck and think i'm going to buy it. It does have a decent amount of miles, that's the only con. I'm planning on having a mechanic check it out soon, but other than that I don't see too much wrong.

Here is the link- Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks-

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/2723059696.html

If you do a search on KKB you will find that truck will list at $8175 in excellent shape not $11500. It doesn't have over-sized tires, a regular F150 has 265/60/18 the fwd comes standard with 285's I believe and personally I've never seen a FWD with 135000 miles that would book for $11000. I'd stay as far away from that as I could, just my opinion.

williams lcm
02-05-2012, 08:02 AM
135k is nothing on a triton. My dad has 220k on his 2000 ford van with a triton motor. My 2001 f350 7.3 diesel has 260k. I thought that was high but it still runs like a champ.

jackal
02-05-2012, 08:38 AM
135k is nothing on a triton. My dad has 220k on his 2000 ford van with a triton motor. My 2001 f350 7.3 diesel has 260k. I thought that was high but it still runs like a champ.

135k is a factor in any truck. Some will run 50k more without a problem and others can be a nightmare. I've had both.

Half tons are generally cheaper to repair and get better mileage. I regularly pull 4000 without problems.

If you are in doubt about this truck, look around, there are lots of trucks for sale.

williams lcm
02-05-2012, 09:29 AM
Yes u are right. Some truck will have no problems. My parents 2005 tahoe needed a new transmission at 40k and the oil pump went bad. Well needless to say the motor had to be replaced due to bad oil pump. While I sold my 2002 tahoe with 177k and no problems. Some things last forever while other crap the bed early/

32vld
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
My first truck was a 1/2 ton, hated it. When you would load it up with bark or rock it would wallow all over the place, always buy a 3/4 ton for a work truck.

Not everyone loads up tons of rock, mulch, etc.

Not everyone can afford a 3/4 ton.

A 3/4 is good for those that need one.

Not everyone needs one.

Tizzy
02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
why dont you get the vin # and go to your local ford dealer and ask them for an oasis report for that truck.

GravelyGuy
02-05-2012, 11:51 AM
I would be reluctant to buy a 1/2 ton with airbags. In addition to a test drive be sure to check the frame area around the bags and rear suspension closely.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-05-2012, 04:28 PM

How do you know he is going to bury it hauling rock, etc? Maybe he is just going to pull a single axle trailer with a couple mowers on it?
Let's see what the OP says b/f we recommend big butt truck.

Matt Hermann
02-05-2012, 05:07 PM
My use would be pulling a 6x12 trailer with a few mowers. Nothing heavy duty. My budget is between 7-9,000$ so this is a great price for me. I do have to commute to school each day and want something fuel effect aswell.
Posted via Mobile Device

chips17
02-05-2012, 10:26 PM
thats the best you could come up with?

Matt Hermann
02-06-2012, 07:54 AM
thats the best you could come up with?

What is that supposed to mean?
Posted via Mobile Device

LCPullman
02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Looks like a nice truck. . . 1/2 tons do work just fine for lawn maintenance work. Be sure to have it checked out like you mentioned.