PDA

View Full Version : gravely pro turn 400

LawnPro19
02-04-2012, 09:00 PM
anybody know of the engine options for a gravely pro turn 452? the new engine number system has got me confused

Quality Cuts PLS
02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
According to the 2012 Product Catalog - Kawasaki 24.5 HP FX751V or Kohler 29 HP EFI.

Razorblades
02-04-2012, 09:27 PM
anybody know of the engine options for a gravely pro turn 452? the new engine number system has got me confused

I'm guessing that the number 452 means that it is the 400 series mower with a 52" deck and doesn't denote anything relating to what engine is in it.

Does their website not have the different engine options on the 400 series?

LawnPro19
02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
thanks quality.. i mulch and i am afraid the 24 wont have enough HP and am scared of the 29 EFI anybody have any experience with the 29 EFI?? and no razor website has no details about the new 400 series yet

Razorblades
02-05-2012, 12:59 AM
thanks quality.. i mulch and i am afraid the 24 wont have enough HP and am scared of the 29 EFI anybody have any experience with the 29 EFI?? and no razor website has no details about the new 400 series yet

the 24 hp engine is what was formerly rated at 27 hp with the old rating std that Kawasaki and Kohler engines both used. Kawasaki recently started using the j1995 rating which is more of a net hp rating than the old rating std that they used before. The new ratings seem to have caused about a 2-2.5 hp drop per engine, compared to the old ratings. The actual usable power is still the same since the power made is still the same as before, it is just rated different. If you go to www.Kawpower.com, you will see a statement from them about the change in the way they rate the engines hp.

An example of my point is: I bought a Gravely Pro Ride 260 lat year. It has the 60" deck and the Kawasaki FX751V engine rated at 27 hp. That was based on their old rating standard. This year the same engine in that mower is rated at 24.5 hp. with the new standard. The actual power of the engine didn't change....just the way it is rated.

The 27 hp engine in my mower (which is now rated at 24.5) is definitely powerful enough for a 52" mulching deck IMO. I would say that this same 2-3 hp drop in listed hp would apply to about all of Kawasaki's older engine series since they all were rated with the other standard in years prior to 2012.

I don't know that much about the 29 EFI Kohler but I will say that Kohler has been building EFI engines in 26, 28 and 31 HP versions for serveral years now and have been pretty reliable for the most part. I will also add that as far as I know, Kohler is still using the same rating standard that Kawasaki used in prior years.

Johnagain
02-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Razor I don't understand why you are telling us that the ratings are now less Hp than what they were in the past. My FD731 LC 26 hp is still listed on there site as 26 hp and the graph beside the engine still shows that max output it 26hp.
So what's the difference other that the rating system?

Kawasaki bad they have 2 different areas of the website with 2 different ratings that I just went back and checked. The 2nd time I checked the site I found out the new ratings are less than before. It just depends on where you look on their site.
After looking for a third time the catalog of engines listed on the site is still for 2011.

Johnagain
02-05-2012, 07:08 PM
Kawasaki bad they have 2 different areas of the website with 2 different ratings that I just went back and checked. The 2nd time I checked the site I found out the new ratings are less than before. It just depends on where you look on their site. The new rating for my engine is 23.5hp.

After looking for a third time the catalog of engines listed on the site is still for 2011.

I think in the long run this will hurt Kawasaki against others just because they will be offering a lower so called hp engine versus. so called other manufacturer higher hp engines when actually they will be all the same.

dgfitz
02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
A couple years ago the Feds jumped into the engine rating game
because of several lawsuites and rulings brought by consumers,
both residential and commercial. Engine builders have had to adjust
thier ratings based on the Fed rulings, and most are now adjusting
thier ratings accordingly.

Gravely Commercial
02-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Here you go...a bit of a sneak peak before we put it up on the main menu:

http://www.gravely.com/zero-turn-mowers/commercial-pro-turn-400/Pages/default.aspx

And this site explains the new rating system for Kawasaki:

http://kawasaki-criticalpower.com/