PDA

View Full Version : Need seed suggestion.

Porkins
02-04-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi! Sorry if this is one of "those threads"

I need to seed an acre of lawn, 100% sunny area. The property is located in Jackson,Georgia (USA) 40 miles south of ATL, 25 miles north of Macon. It needs to be drought resistant. Any suggestions?

Also need a supplier, if you are willing to share.

Thank you!

agrostis
02-04-2012, 09:02 PM
In Jackson GA. with 100% sun and no irrigation. You need a warm season grass, bermuda for a common area. Zoysia for a little finer turf. These grass's do go dormant in the winter, but would be the best choice for your area.

avguy
02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
I seeded my 2 acres with Sunstar Bermuda purchased at JD/Lesco. Have a soil test done. Keep it fed and you'll have a beautiful lush green lawn when your neighbor's is brown from drought conditions.

Porkins
02-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Thank you guys!

I seeded my 2 acres with Sunstar Bermuda purchased at JD/Lesco. Have a soil test done. Keep it fed and you'll have a beautiful lush green lawn when your neighbor's is brown from drought conditions.

I'll have to look into SunStar, this can be purchased at John Deere Landscape location? Also by chance do you the remember price per pound? Thanks.

avguy
02-05-2012, 08:05 PM
I'm sorry I don't remember the Sunstar price....maybe $85/25 lb bucket? It is considered to be a medium grade seed and has worked well for me. I'm not sure if all the JD/Lesco's carry it or not but I would assume your local Lesco would carry a seed that is desirable in your area. Again.......take the time to have a soil test done. It is inexpensive and will tell you exactly what you are dealing with. I spent 2 years amending my soil before I renovated at the advise of my local extension office. Here is my renovation...