PDA

View Full Version : Scag V-Ride!

bdlawncare
02-04-2012, 10:23 PM
Okay so i have been shopping around for a stand on mower and really liked the wrights, but couldn't find one in my price range.. They were either beat to **** or too expensive. So i stumbled upon a scag V ride which looks like a nice mower 52" 26HP 350 hours the guy said i can take it for 5 G's.... Does this sound like a good deal? What do you guys think about the price, high low, to good to be true.... Opinions appreciated thanks!

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Sounds like a good deal. We have 2 of them. Does he have the catcher for it? Has he replaced the hydro lines yet? They had a problem with them from the factory.
Posted via Mobile Device

weeze
02-05-2012, 12:13 AM
make sure to check the frame. they came out with extra gussets but on the earlier ones the frames were cracking. there's a thread on here about it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=369367&highlight=scag+v-ride

bdlawncare
02-05-2012, 02:01 AM
Ill ask the guy to send me a picture... But from the CL pic i might be picking up a gusset where the crack was shown on the mower in the link above. I will also ask about the hydro lines... From reading that thread though it doesnt seem like anyone is very happy with the machine, making me think twice. Do you guys like the quality of cut and the dependability of the machine?

Jimslawncareservice
02-05-2012, 07:58 AM
It's a scag. It will cut great and be dependable. I personally don't like the way it turns. When I demoed it and the cheetah I tore way more turf with the vride. I never tore any with the cheetah. I even did tight turns with it too. My turf tiger never tore either, unless it was wet as Hell with the clam on full of wet grass. I just think scag needs to back to the drawing board and figure out how to get it to turn easily. My Wrights I could spin the crap out of them all over and be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-05-2012, 10:12 AM
It's a scag. It will cut great and be dependable. I personally don't like the way it turns. When I demoed it and the cheetah I tore way more turf with the vride. I never tore any with the cheetah. I even did tight turns with it too. My turf tiger never tore either, unless it was wet as Hell with the clam on full of wet grass. I just think scag needs to back to the drawing board and figure out how to get it to turn easily. My Wrights I could spin the crap out of them all over and be an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jim, How much real time did Jeff let you have on a vride? It takes about a day to get the controls down, they are touchy compared to most but its that responsiveness most owners love after you master it.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Ill ask the guy to send me a picture... But from the CL pic i might be picking up a gusset where the crack was shown on the mower in the link above. I will also ask about the hydro lines... From reading that thread though it doesnt seem like anyone is very happy with the machine, making me think twice. Do you guys like the quality of cut and the dependability of the machine?

There has been only 2 issues with the vride. The o ring which is a easy fix and didn't occur on many. The 52" vrides had some frame cracking which scag has repaired or replaced depending on what happened. I think toro had some issues with the grandstand when it came out, so many they redesigned alot, and offered upgrades at no charge for the first buyers.

One way to get through the bs put on lawnsite is to see who owns them and what is their take. If they are honest they will point out the flaws and good on the mower. I own one and have done both. If I was to buy one again I would in a heartbeat.

If I was to buy the mower in question I would have the current owner have the gussets installed at his current dealer under warranty (if it hadn't yet). The owner shouldn't object as its no money out of his pocket and only delay the sale about a week. Besides that drive it and if everything runs out right buy it. You won't regret it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jimslawncareservice
02-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Well I was suppose to have it and the cheetah to do all my out of town accounts. These are fussy people. I used the v ride on one stop and the cheetah on half of one. I was really disapointed on how little time I got. I would have gotten the cheetah but couldn't get a dealer to trade, and couldn't finance. But I guess I've been one to either love a mower or hate with in a few minutes of using it.
Posted via Mobile Device

417lawncare
02-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Im picking one up tomorrow, they are currently on sale. Im only getting the 36 inch as most of my accounts have 40 inch gates. Its gonna cost me 5600new with warranty.

djagusch
02-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Im picking one up tomorrow, they are currently on sale. Im only getting the 36 inch as most of my accounts have 40 inch gates. Its gonna cost me 5600new with warranty.

Congrats for tomorrow. May I ask why did you choose the vride over a W/B in the 36" deck size? My thought has been 36" decks and smaller are better in the W/B format due to weight and size of yard used with that deck. If its your only mower I would understand the decision to a point.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Sorry if I miss lead you from my earlier post. We absolutely like our v rides. I was only giving you a heads up on potential areas of concern. Put it this way, if I was in your area I would take that deal from under you. Great power, great cut, great handling, floating deck, once you get the hang of it your good to go.
Posted via Mobile Device

SpillMan
02-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Scag has a promotion now on the 52" V-Ride for $6700 plus 0% financing for 48 months. Still gonna demo it to compare to the Wright Stander X.

417lawncare
02-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I demoed a v ride 52 inch deck today and will be picking it up monday! Awesome machine! Very responsive, great speed, and more comfortable than the Grandstand!

SpillMan
02-05-2012, 09:09 PM
I demoed a v ride 52 inch deck today and will be picking it up monday! Awesome machine! Very responsive, great speed, and more comfortable than the Grandstand!

How was it on hills. I was concerned with it being as stable as the Wright.
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-05-2012, 09:38 PM
I've owned wright and v ride. I can't tell a difference on hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

SpillMan
02-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

SpillMan
02-05-2012, 09:45 PM
I've owned wright and v ride. I can't tell a difference on hills.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I can get a V for 1500 cheaper than the Wright so thinking we will be going that way
Posted via Mobile Device

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I would if I were you. Plus the scag has a better cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

SpillMan
02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
I would if I were you. Plus the scag has a better cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the info.
Posted via Mobile Device

sandsforce665
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I have been getting quotes fo r a new 52" 26 Kawi and they are all coming in from $6395-6695. The mower sells new for $7995 and Scag has a 20% off promotion right now so they really should be coming in at :clapping:$6395. All of these quote were from the TN/KY area.

If I could find a low-hour used one for 5Gs I would buy it yesterday!!! I just can't find used ones anywhere.

417lawncare
02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
Im picking up my v ride today but am working on a bid before I do. Can anyone tell me how much gas a vride uses per hour?

djagusch
02-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Im picking up my v ride today but am working on a bid before I do. Can anyone tell me how much gas a vride uses per hour?

Pretty sure I have notes somewhere in the .9 to 1.1 gph but that is on a 48" vride. For bidding I use 1.5 gph to be safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
02-06-2012, 11:06 AM
What engine is on it? Guessing, I'd say around a gallon per hour or right around there.

417lawncare
02-06-2012, 11:22 AM
its the 24 kawi engine

bdlawncare
02-17-2012, 05:23 PM
update: hopefully buying it tommorow for 4250$!