PDA

View Full Version : new engine horse power

Wecutgrass
02-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Can someone explain to me the new horsepower on the new engines. Why did they lower the horse power but it has the same amount of CCs? is there something I'm missing?

orangemower
02-05-2012, 07:49 AM
class action law suit for false advertizing.

Richard Martin
02-05-2012, 08:58 AM
They got busted for using the same size engine and having different horsepower ratings. There was also controversy over maximum horsepower and working horsepower. Now they only rate them on working horsepower.

djagusch
02-05-2012, 09:51 AM
There is some truth to the above posts. The outcome of those two reasons caused the mfg's to work with SAE to make a standized hp rating test. Since this is the industries standardized test now the consumer should be able to compare apples to apples to hp ratings.

One thing though to check is when a mfg states a hp rating they will have small print saying according to SAE standard XXX. This is a way to make sure they are testing the same way. I'm guessing some mfg's may be slow to switch their rating system over. Kawi just did in the fall I believe, honda just started to go to a model number over 3 yrs ago, briggs switched to a torque rating 2yrs ago. I haven't noticed kohler switched yet but could have.

Also just because there is a standardized test does not mean that is the law to use it. But after the last lawsuit they would be dumb to state a hp rating without it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Razorblades
02-05-2012, 10:06 AM
Can someone explain to me the new horsepower on the new engines. Why did they lower the horse power but it has the same amount of CCs? is there something I'm missing?

If you're talking about the new HP ratings of Kawasaki engines, you should visit their website, as it will explain some of your questions.

Basically, Kawasaki is now testing and rating their engines to different certifications.

Razorblades
02-05-2012, 10:32 AM
The engine manufacturers also still have the same engine-cc's/cu.in with different hp ratings, just like they always did. Just look at the eng. manufactuers engine specs.

They are still rated at 3600 rpm for maximum hp also.

Richard Martin
02-05-2012, 11:56 AM
The engine manufacturers also still have the same engine-cc's/cu.in with different hp ratings, just like they always did. Just look at the eng. manufactuers engine specs.

They are still rated at 3600 rpm for maximum hp also.

The only company that I've noticed still doing it is Kohler. They do so at their own peril. It was a civil lawsuit so no laws were passed to force them to do otherwise.

Razorblades
02-05-2012, 04:09 PM
The only company that I've noticed still doing it is Kohler. They do so at their own peril. It was a civil lawsuit so no laws were passed to force them to do otherwise.

We may not be talking about the same thing because you can go to kawasaki's website and see serveral series of engines that are the same size (cc) but have different hp versions of that series engine. Briggs Vanguard big block series and Kohlers new big block series also have 3-4 engines trhat are the same cc size but have different hp versions.

Richard Martin
02-09-2012, 04:19 AM
We may not be talking about the same thing because you can go to kawasaki's website and see serveral series of engines that are the same size (cc) but have different hp versions of that series engine. Briggs Vanguard big block series and Kohlers new big block series also have 3-4 engines trhat are the same cc size but have different hp versions.

Yeah, Kawsaki is a litte confusing. Check this out: http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.com/