PDA

View Full Version : Weekly mowing might start early this year

williams lcm
02-05-2012, 07:55 AM
With these warmer temps and no cool down in sight the grass has been growing. Spring fever is here. Just go to the garden center at home depot and see all the crazy people. I have been busy with mulching and trimming back dead stuff. With the way the temps are going I might have to start weekly mowing sooner than usual. Anyone picking up alot of work?

zturncutter
02-05-2012, 08:10 AM
We have been very busy all winter, The Azaleas are blooming and the Maples are leafed out and loaded with seed.

rreyn1812
02-05-2012, 08:18 AM
We've had such a mild winter that the dafodills are blooming, and I saw one forsythia that had blooms on it this past week. If it continues, I will probably start mowing about a month earlier than normal. Getting calls from customers over a month earlier than normal to start working on pruning, cleanups, etc. :)

Ric
02-05-2012, 08:27 AM

I believe the year was 1994 and we has a super warm winter until the last week of Feb & first week of March. Every thing was flushed out or in bloom when we had 3 freezes in a two week period. It took two year for most plants to fully recovery from those freezes.

Florida Gardener
02-05-2012, 08:46 AM
With these warmer temps and no cool down in sight the grass has been growing. Spring fever is here. Just go to the garden center at home depot and see all the crazy people. I have been busy with mulching and trimming back dead stuff. With the way the temps are going I might have to start weekly mowing sooner than usual. Anyone picking up alot of work?

My agreements say weekly cutting starts may 1. They also say the customer gets 38 cuts for the year. Anything needed above that will be happily provided, but will be an extra charge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-05-2012, 08:48 AM

I believe the year was 1994 and we has a super warm winter until the last week of Feb & first week of March. Every thing was flushed out or in bloom when we had 3 freezes in a two week period. It took two year for most plants to fully recovery from those freezes.

Glad somebody knew of this. I didn't know am exact year but figured that something like this happened before. I just hope we get some cooler temps for the sake of feeling a winter...

Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-05-2012, 08:49 AM
As Ric sort of said:

It ain't over until the corpulently challenged women sings. :p

Patriot Services
02-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Right now it's leaves, leaves and more leaves. Two more weeks and the friggin pollen snow will start.:usflag:

jsslawncare
02-05-2012, 12:33 PM
I think first of March for me.

Florida Gardener
02-05-2012, 01:25 PM
Right now it's leaves, leaves and more leaves. Two more weeks and the friggin pollen snow will start.:usflag:

Yea, pollen is the worst. I sneeze all the time when around it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
Pollen is already pretty bad here. Everything is yellow, everyday. Looks like a cloud when you blow off driveways. Oak leaf drop looked like it was going to start three weeks ago, but it's been slow coming. Most places I take care of still have not taken a big dump yet.

Going back to weekly might come earlier than it has in recent years. The last couple of years it has been after May 1. But as long as the rains don't come, I really don't expect for it to happen for at least 45 days. Even then it will only be half of them or so. If it starts raining though, all bets are off.

I'll say this though, it's really uncomfortable for this time of year. I enjoy cool, dry weather to make up for the brutal summers. This year we have had relatively little of either. The humidity has really sucked for the last week. Heat index in early February anyone? This is going to be the year where people start hating the semi-dwarf varieties of St Augustine. The fungal issues from last year never got cleared out. If been plugging areas of Seville with Floratam.

Patriot Services
02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Look at the bright side, we don't have to reacclimate.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-05-2012, 05:48 PM
:eek: choo- achhhhhhh CHOOO!

jvanvliet
02-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Pollen is already pretty bad here. Everything is yellow, everyday. Looks like a cloud when you blow off driveways. Oak leaf drop looked like it was going to start three weeks ago, but it's been slow coming. Most places I take care of still have not taken a big dump yet.

Going back to weekly might come earlier than it has in recent years. The last couple of years it has been after May 1. But as long as the rains don't come, I really don't expect for it to happen for at least 45 days. Even then it will only be half of them or so. If it starts raining though, all bets are off.

I'll say this though, it's really uncomfortable for this time of year. I enjoy cool, dry weather to make up for the brutal summers. This year we have had relatively little of either. The humidity has really sucked for the last week. Heat index in early February anyone? This is going to be the year where people start hating the semi-dwarf varieties of St Augustine. The fungal issues from last year never got cleared out. If been plugging areas of Seville with Floratam.

Keith, we have lawns with spots that need to be filled in, I was going to sugar sand them, how are the plugs? Never used them.

Keith
02-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Hit and miss. Floratam is easier to get to run than others. The earlier they are put in, the better. If they are established by March you stand a pretty good chance of getting some pretty good runners during the year. They are ideal for existing lawns. Trying to establish in a bare area can be more trouble than it's worth. That said, I put Sapphire plugs in a small bare area in my back yard last May and they haven't done too bad. I hit them with the hose when I think about it. If I had planted them two months earlier and taken care of them, I think they would have filled in completely by now.

jvanvliet
02-06-2012, 02:18 PM
I think I'll stick with sugar sand on the smaller patches and turf on the bare spots, thanks.

Florida Gardener
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Rain all day today and supposed to get more tomm. Unless we get a long cold front, things are going to start up real soon....

jvanvliet
02-08-2012, 06:25 AM
It's all fun and games until... :cry:

No need to perpetuate the vitriol... it's all good'

Raining for three days now. Weeds are out of control, grass as tall as it is in the summer. We have moved our premium accounts to about 12 days. Looks like were in for a long season without much of a break.

Good news is people are loosening up with money, we've landed four major installation in the last two weeks and three new premium accounts (one called us from Vero Beach because her tenant saw our work and complained about the other guy). Apparently we are the only ones in these communities that keep the lawn and ornamentals looking good. Hard work, bright shirts with your logo on them and big truck and trailer signs work very well.

Cutting again today, 2 Condo Associations, about 12 acres and 7 acres respectively. Hope we don't get bogged down too much, the ground is already spongy.

stickleylawncare
02-08-2012, 08:25 AM
No need to perpetuate the vitriol... it's all good'

I agree and if I misspoke I apologize to everyone. As a whole this site is full of incredibly helpful people, great discussions, funny stories, and great advice which is why I enjoy coming here.

Happy mowing.

zturncutter
02-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Whew, glad to hear it, I was beginning to think I was not near handsome enough or smart enough or athletic enough to continue on in this business after 30 years :laugh: This is going to be a good year guys people are really starting to let loose of the money :clapping:

jvanvliet
02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
I look at it this way, everybody loves Santa, right?

fl-landscapes
02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
I look at it this way, everybody loves Santa, right?

Not the grinch or the burger mister mister burger

justanotherlawnguy
02-13-2012, 02:45 AM
I think first of March for me.

First of march for weekly mowing? Are you kidding me? No way, no how any yard is ready for weekly mowing in march!!

Some of the hacks might be mowing every week then, but there isn't any reason to jump the gun that early. Mow it every week during a dry April and may and see what happens!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-13-2012, 07:04 AM
Not the grinch or the burger mister mister burger

& Ric; 3 out of 4 billion is alright.:)

jvanvliet
02-13-2012, 07:05 AM
First of march for weekly mowing? Are you kidding me? No way, no how any yard is ready for weekly mowing in march!!

Some of the hacks might be mowing every week then, but there isn't any reason to jump the gun that early. Mow it every week during a dry April and may and see what happens!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Wouldn't jump to weekly that fast; maybe a 10 day cycle.

Upper 40's last night, mid 60's today and back into the 70's tomorrow.

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Won't be treading on any frosty grass this morning. Going to be a shop day, early quits and go check out the fair.
Posted via Mobile Device

justanotherlawnguy
02-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Won't be treading on any frosty grass this morning. Going to be a shop day, early quits and go check out the fair.
Posted via Mobile Device

if you make it to the fair today, there is a tent selling donuts over by the main expo hall. its called something "Dutchman", least thats what they said to follow on facebook. you will see them making the donuts in there, get some!!!

They were the best glazed donuts ever, plus they were huge...

jizmo
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
The warmer weather stinks

Patriot Services
03-01-2012, 11:33 AM
80's, humid, leaves, pollen and weeds. Yay early summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
03-01-2012, 12:19 PM
Low temps in the 40's Sunday and Monday next week :)

billslawn89
03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
heat index in my area yesterday was 91 degrees. I was out this morning cutting some stuff down for a client and was soaked in 30 minutes.So much for winter.

Patriot Services
03-01-2012, 03:11 PM
At least I haven't had any customers yipping about paying for reduced winter service.:usflag:

Ric
03-01-2012, 05:20 PM
This is going to be a good year guys people are really starting to let loose of the money :clapping:

Z turn

Election years are normally good, but don't hold your breath. Look for a really big down turn after the November Elections. I fear the Liberals will take the election because the Right sure doesn't have it together at this point.

zturncutter
03-01-2012, 05:56 PM
[QUOTE=Ric;4332850]Z turn

Election years are normally good, but don't hold your breath. Look for a really big down turn after the November Elections. I fear the Liberals will take the election because the Right sure doesn't have it together at this point.

Ric, I don't think my customers give a damn about the election, they are spending money and refering me to new clients who are spending money. I have worked the last 3 weekends in a row and have hired help again.:clapping:

Ric
03-01-2012, 06:08 PM
[QUOTE=Ric;4332850]Z turn

Ric, I don't think my customers give a damn about the election, they are spending money and refering me to new clients who are spending money. I have worked the last 3 weekends in a row and have hired help again.:clapping:

Z turn

Good for you, I am experiences a surge in business also.

I hate to be pessimistic, but. Make Hay while the sun shines because we are heading for a fall in the Fall IMHO.

GreenT
03-01-2012, 09:00 PM

And they tell me to go back to Politics.....

Florida Gardener
03-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Already doing weekly cuts for some nice yards(extra charge). Everything's already taking off good down here.
Posted via Mobile Device