PDA

View Full Version : Lawn overrun with weeds

zechstoker
02-05-2012, 04:07 PM
I have a "lawn" that I need to fix that's virtually nothing but weeds, and I'm looking for the most efficient and cost effective way to correct it. Most everything growing in this location is all broadleaf weeds (dandelions, little mallow, spurge, puncture vine, etc.) as well as other offenders such as nutsedge, annual bluegrass, and (more than likely) bermuda. I've considered the idea of just blanket-spraying the entire area with Turflon Ester, Sedgehammer and Fusilade II, and then reseeding the lawn, but I'm not sure how effective that would be in the end. One suggestion I was given was to just rototill the whole thing, and lay down new sod, but sod for this size of an area is going to cost quite a bit. Any recommendations or advice? Thanks

Lefet
02-05-2012, 04:11 PM
How fast a "fix" are you wanting? I would probably do a Lockup Extra2 and reseed.

zechstoker
02-05-2012, 04:40 PM
Not looking for anything like a "quick fix". Time isn't a factor with this job.

Lefet
02-05-2012, 04:41 PM
I would probably just do the lockup combined with a regular fert plan of some sorts, then reseed in the fall. Is it irrigated?

zechstoker
02-05-2012, 04:48 PM
The only way water is available to the area is by hose & sprinkler attachment. Eventually, a sprinkler system will be installed, but not for at least 3 months from now.

gusbuster
02-29-2012, 01:36 PM
If you can't afford it then i would even consider having a lawn to be honest with you.

In our area, specially June-September where temps can and do exceed over 100, irrigation is a must if you want nice grass.

What you are proposing is just silly because no matter what you do, if you don't have the time to water properly, then you don't a good lawn.

A properly laid out irrigation, proper cutting techniques, feeding exct.... you will have a nice lawn.

Figure as long as you are doing the work yourself, a 1000 sq ft lawn you can sod and install a quality sprinkler system between 500 to 600.

As long as you have your q.a. c. card for pest control, J.D.L. Horizon, and Ewing will sell you pro grade irrigation parts at wholesale. You don't need to buy from Lowes and H.D. and pay for the crap orbit stuff.

Not trying to be mean, just seems real silly to try to fix a old lawn when it should be replaced anyways. Best value is to do a glyphsate treatment, scrape old stuff off, install irrigation and new sod lawn. Then do the proper upkeep afterwards. But keep in mind this though, if your neighbor has crap, hope you're not downwind from them because it will end up in your lawn.

John

Tizzy
02-29-2012, 07:29 PM
did you check the basics? Does lawn get sun/water. hows soil compaction. what is the soil PH.
if the PH is off you can do whatever you want you will not grow grass. just some siple thing to check before a ton of money is spent

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
02-29-2012, 08:40 PM
Spray weeds. Wait two weeks. Aerate. Add 1/2'' aged manure/compost. drag yard. overseed. keep watered.