PDA

View Full Version : looking at wheeled dingos...

onlythebest
02-05-2012, 06:53 PM
think im going to go ahead and buy a wheeled Toro Dingo 220 new from my dealer. price is just under 13k before taxes. looking for any feedback not sure of where to place this thread... cant afford the tracked models they start at like 20k for the tx427 and my trailer can only hold 2070 pounds..

KS_Grasscutter
02-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Hmmm I always figured those were more then that, I would love to have one just to use around home lol. Maybe if I have a good year... But I'd almost be tempted to spend another couple thousand and get a small kubota tractor with loader.
Posted via Mobile Device

onlythebest
02-05-2012, 07:07 PM
To be honest I thought they would be more money too.. I went to my dealer to look at some used units and asked out of curiosity the new prices and think for the extra couple thousand I will go the route of a new machine.. Also toro offers great financing options (my mom will provide the credit) I think I'm going to put down 6000 and then go 0 percent for 24 months with equal payments
Posted via Mobile Device

RTR Landscaping
02-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Dingo's are great machines and they can make you a lot of money. The wheeled models use the same attachments as the track ones. The track models are a little more user friendly but you can recoup your money a lot quicker.

onlythebest
02-05-2012, 08:49 PM
i am financing it with about 6 grand down. the wheeled model will be about 390 a month with taxes, where as the tracked model will be about 720 after taxes.. or about a 8000 dollar difference. I'm not sure i can justify that for the nicer controls and a little extra power and grip. i have seen them both and going to demo both shortly. but I'm pretty stuck on the wheeled unit because of the price. i just want to make sure that i will not be getting stuck all the time with the tires vs the tracks. i know that the tracked model will tear up the turf a lot less than the wheeled units but i am going to be using the machine mainly for sod replacement so its not a big deal.

Bunton Guy
02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
I bought a 35hp bobcat CT235 tractor 2011 4X4 model with a front end loader out the door for $15K

I've only done about 5-6 projects since I got it (may 2011) and I haven't had an issue with the size.

onlythebest
02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
that tractor looks to be over 3000 pounds without loader. also the area i service has mostly small lots and that's is where i get most of my profit from because i can knock out a sod job in 6 hours and net about 500 dollars on a 700 sq-ft job. that's why I'm very interested in one of these units, will fit in most places and will save around 30-40 percent on time at these small jobs

ReddensLawnCare
02-05-2012, 09:50 PM
Have you just considered rental?
Posted via Mobile Device

onlythebest
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
buying a rental or renting every time i need one? rental machines get pretty messed up around here and renting every time i need one would cost over 6 grand a season plus time to get the machine and the rush to get it back on time. not worth it imho

ReddensLawnCare
02-05-2012, 10:28 PM
I see. I didnt know how many properties you did sod on per year, that was my only reasoning. IF it was one or 2 a month, then I think rental would be better, but if you have more than that, which it sounds like you do, then owning is a better option. Do you pull it around on your 5x10 listed in your sig?

onlythebest
02-05-2012, 10:31 PM
yeah we do quite a few but not as many as the numbers i gave you now thats the goal for this year. i haven't bought the machine yet but yes that will be the trailer we will be using. its a red truck trailer and all toro machines :D

ReddensLawnCare
02-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Unless that is a beefy 5x10 it comes standard with 2700lb axles and normally only one. Have you ever put a dingo on there before, especially with th other equipment you need? The machine alone ways close to 3k with just the bucket
Posted via Mobile Device

onlythebest
02-05-2012, 11:45 PM
The axle is a 3000 pound axel and the machine with bucket weighs about 1700 pounds not 3000 I won't need many other tools with me just basic hand tools and sod cutter..
Posted via Mobile Device

ReddensLawnCare
02-05-2012, 11:57 PM
Sorry your right. I was thinking of the unit and a harley rake. I have had to rent that a few times and was told full weight of bucket Harley rake and dingo was right at 3k
Posted via Mobile Device

onlythebest
02-06-2012, 07:56 AM
Oh, right on.. Yeah I think for this yeah all I will have is the bucket
Posted via Mobile Device

memphis.landscape
02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Are you a solo operator? Six hours for 700sqft of sod is pretty slow. If you have guys working for you. Honestly I would think you would be better off adding another guy to help with cleanup on your sod jobs. I do anywhere from 60-80 pallets of sod a year and have never needed a dingo. We just set the sod cutter to cut at .5in and the only thing you are raking up is grass. Me and two guys have prepped and laid 18 pallets easily in a day. Just my .02.
Posted via Mobile Device

onlythebest
02-06-2012, 05:05 PM
thanks for your input Memphis.landscape, but currently i am still in high school until the end of June so i need any advantage i can get. and part time employees don't work well for me so i think the dingo can get me down to around 3.5 with me working with the dingo and my guy picking up materials. i wish i had a big truck and dump trailer so i could get everything in one shot but my truck is pretty small it has the v6 in it and my trailer is only rated for 2070 pounds

RodneyK
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
I picked up a 2007 323 version last year. It beats the hell out of doing everything with a shovel and wheel barrow. I have added many attachments. I am a big fan of the production you can get out of these machines. They are weak compared to a larger Bob Cat of course but I think they make it up since they can get into much smaller spots.

I think it is VERY VERY important to get a four wheel drive version. With just two wheel drive I would have gotten stuck a few times last year. Also I think you are crazy to buy a new one. I bought this one with 800 hours on it, everything in good shape plus a trencher for $4500 off e-bay. I traded the trencher for a couple attachments and a full service. It was an incredible deal, I got very lucky.

I think buying a new one is a huge waste of money. There are way too many good used ones out there for $6000 to $7000. If you buy right you could use it for a couple years and sell it for what you have in it. They are built well and will hold up. Buying it is the right decision but I don't think buying new is.

onlythebest
02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
thanks for sharing your opinion on buying new.. at first i was only looking at used thinking new would be way out of my price range, but out of curiosity i asked my dealer for his price sheet and was surprised to see that for about 4 grand more i can get a new machine (i know your thinking how is it only 4 grand in price difference surly i can find a cheaper used unit but i don't want more than a couple hundred hours on the machine and machines around here run upwards of 9 grand with just a bucket) alos i can get 24 months financing at 0 percent and how does the 4 paw system on the 323 work compared to the 220? is the 220 only 2 wheel drive???

OneLineAtATime
02-06-2012, 07:04 PM
I have a 420 tracks, it's was the smartest thing i ever bought. It's 36 inches wide and fits in every gate. I bought mine for 11.5k demo with 175 hrs, will be paid off this year. My good friend has a 323 wheeled unit, i have borrowed it many times. The controls suck bad, it's impossible to run the bucket while running the wheels. In wet grass you can't get traction at all. I hate it, tracks are the only way to go. They don't rut the grass as bad either. I have a huge track skid loader as well, love the tracks. www.bpssuperstore.com, always has demo's for sale. I'm a ten year customers and get great deals.

onlythebest
02-06-2012, 07:07 PM
crap! i really don't have the finances to get the tracked unit even if i had the money i would still be reluctant to spend so much more money vs a wheeled unit. unless i find a low hours used unit that is tracked i think the wheeled unit is my only option.. maybe in a few years once I'm 18 and can have my shop up and running i will buy a tracked unit and keep/sell the wheeled unit.

P.Services
02-06-2012, 07:33 PM
do yourself a favor and go run a ditch witch zahn. Its about 14-15 thousand bucks so your in the same price range and it is a thousand times better then the dingo. It articulates in the middle like a wheel loader so you have great traction and its easy on turf. I really cant say enough good things about the machine.

I know a sk650 diesel track unit can be had for 19k so that may be something to think about also. You wont be disappointed with the zahn though.

onlythebest
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
not sure of the specs but that looks like it will weigh over 2000 pounds. the dingo i think fits my needs the best right now. i wont be using it a hell of a lot and it is only about 1550 pounds plus the bucket. AND on top of that toro offers great financing... just really need to know if the 220 is 2 wheel drive as someone mentioned earlier?

sven1277
02-06-2012, 07:43 PM
You are getting a lot of advice from guys who have been doing this for some time. Everyone has a different opinion. Obviously, you want good dealer support, so even if the Zahn is a great machine, it may not be for you. You have also mentioned 0% financing through Toro, so other brands may not be able to compete based on that alone. I have run the 420 a lot and really like the controls vs. the wheeled. If you aren't used to it then you will acclimate to the stick setup just as well. Tracks are very nice compared to wheels. This is true for all machines. I think you have your mind made up. If its only a few thousand more and includes 0% financing, it is probably a better deal. Plus you get a warranty. Check out ebay for something cheap too. I agree with using machinery instead of goons, more reliable. Thats how I grew my business when I was small. Good luck.

RodneyK
02-06-2012, 07:59 PM
I think the 220 is two wheel drive. But double check with your dealer and or the web site. I have not driven the 220 so maybe it is fine. I just know I was glad to have the four wheel version a couple times last year.

The other guys bring up good points about tracked being better in most applications. I hate not being able to move and operate the bucket at the same time also as someone mentioned. The controls make it almost impossible to do. You are getting some good advice, ideas and points here. One good point is that you will learn how to work with whatever piece you have. For instance I have become very good at not damaging turf with a wheeled version but it takes me more time. Btw check out the ground speed. They seem slow.

It is a tough call and for that amount of money maybe another company has a better option. Explore all options it doesn't cost anything to shop and compare. If I were to explore options for that amount of money I don't think I would end up with a wheeled dingo. Probably some sort of tracked machine with a ride on platform.

Good luck.

onlythebest
02-06-2012, 08:48 PM
yeah i know the guys on here are great looks like I'm being an ignorant little kid thinking i know everything but i still think I'm going to get the wheeled dingo because of the financing options and the great dealer support. also all my stuff is red :P I'm sorry to all that feel like they wasted there time trying to help me and it looks like I'm just not wanting to hear it, but i just cant afford anything else right now. i know the tracked units have much nicer controls but I'm sure i can get pretty good and be able to use the bucket and drive at the same time??

OneLineAtATime
02-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Go and demo all models, any dealer trying to make a sell will let you demo.. then go play in the mud.. well worth an extra $90 a month.
So your 16 years old, buying a dingo.. Wtf?? Were did I go wrong..
Posted via Mobile Device

P.Services
02-06-2012, 11:15 PM
just go demo demo demo demo !!!! dont make up your mind yet. Zahns are red also.

onlythebest
02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
yeah I'm 16 and buying a dingo its not that you did anything wrong its just that I'm doing very well :) and yeah I'm going to ask the dealer to demo the tracked and wheeled units and see if i think the tracks are worth the extra money.

ReddensLawnCare
02-07-2012, 07:32 AM
That's a lot of debt at yur age. I know it seems like a necessity but go write out the pros and cons before you sign
Posted via Mobile Device

OneLineAtATime
02-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Yea.... his going to demo... he is listening to us....:laugh:

I started when i was 13, working with a one truck operation. At 16 got my drivers licence, truck trailer and was off. Lost it all and started over at 20, now 31 wondering why am i still doing this.

Well report back, remember to ask about buying a demo

ReddensLawnCare
02-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Yea.... his going to demo... he is listening to us....:laugh:

I started when i was 13, working with a one truck operation. At 16 got my drivers licence, truck trailer and was off. Lost it all and started over at 20, now 31 wondering why am i still doing this.

Well report back, remember to ask about buying a demo
Probably bc the smell of cutting grass is far better then smelling your bosses a**. Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

Swampy
02-07-2012, 08:18 AM
Not to hijack but how are Dingo sized machines at snow removal. Do they make a blade/blower for them? Thinking for sidewalk use.

OneLineAtATime
02-07-2012, 11:37 AM
Not to hijack but how are Dingo sized machines at snow removal. Do they make a blade/blower for them? Thinking for sidewalk use.

Yes sir, push box and blades on eBay.. track units do better
Posted via Mobile Device

OneLineAtATime
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Yes sir, push box and blades on eBay.. track units do better
Posted via Mobile Device

Snow blower attachment as well, they are sweet
Posted via Mobile Device