PDA

View Full Version : Wright Standers + Aerator

CIAA
02-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Has anyone used the JRCO hooker soft plug aerator model 751 on a wright stander? What has been your experience? Cost of the units vs. efficiency?

New lawn guy in VA

JRCO
02-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi CIAA,

We've used the Hooker aerator on a Stander before. It works well. I would recommend mounting it on a 48" or larger Stander. Larger drive wheels = better traction for maneuvering.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Thanks,

Bill

pugs
02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi CIAA,

We've used the Hooker aerator on a Stander before. It works well. I would recommend mounting it on a 48" or larger Stander. Larger drive wheels = better traction for maneuvering.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Thanks,

Bill

Do you have any pictures of this setup? I have a customer that might be interested in this for his Standers. They are mostly fixed deck models 52" or 61".

Jimslawncareservice
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
I'm sure there is one on jrcos web site
Posted via Mobile Device

grass-scapes
02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Ive got 2 standers and it seems they wouldn't put enough down pressure on the tines. I could be wrong....It just seems that way to me knowing how easy it is to bring the front up.

pugs
02-07-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm sure there is one on jrcos web site
Posted via Mobile Device

Yah, they are a bit hidden. I finally found them.

As for weight it looks like these units have their own weights. Not sure if I am right or not but it appears that they kinda float. Like each set of 2 tine wheels has a weight between them and floats on a shaft so if they encounter something in the ground they will just ride up out of the ground over it.

orangemower
02-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Yah, they are a bit hidden. I finally found them.

As for weight it looks like these units have their own weights. Not sure if I am right or not but it appears that they kinda float. Like each set of 2 tine wheels has a weight between them and floats on a shaft so if they encounter something in the ground they will just ride up out of the ground over it.

That's correct. The weight of the mower is not used.

CIAA
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks to all of you guys. I really like this site so far. I have made my mind up to fix my 1997 ryan aerator (plugger)and keep for a back up or tight spaces. However, I may be ordering the JRCO 751 very soon as it looks like it would save me a ton of energy and time. That $1,999.00 price tags plus $109.00 bar makes me push harder to grow. Time for 10 new accounts!!!!!

JRCO
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Thanks for all the responses.

Yes, there is a studio shot of the 751 on a 52" Wright Stander in the "image gallery" on the front mount aerator page (http://jrcoinc.com/product.asp?id=9) of our website. I ran the 751 around with the Stander when we had it here.

Correct on the down pressure info. Those cast iron heads weigh 12 lbs but it's more about the geometry of the tines and the forward driving force of the mower. As the first tine hooks into the ground, the next tine is being pulled or driven down into the ground. That's why it's good to aerate at a pretty good pace to keep that momentum going.

So yes, you'd want a mower with enough weight and traction to turn and maneuver with the aerator out front.

Thanks,
Bill

pugs
02-09-2012, 11:26 AM
We have some pretty tough soil here. Alot of clay. Does it still do well with that. I have had some complaints on the Ryan LawnAir 5's sometimes(the wider one) not pulling good plugs while the narrow ones always work well. Never hear any problems on the 28's but they would probably aerate concrete if you tried.

JRCO
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes, the Hooker aerator still works pretty well in hard clay soil. The original aerator was developed in Georgia.

Sure, if it's really really dry you may not get full depth but it does surprisingly well since it is has the "hooking" tines and isn't soley dependent on down pressure. The Hooker, in general, does better in somewhat dry conditions. No need to have a watered, saturated lawn before you aerate.

I won't make the claim that you can aerate concrete. :D

Jimslawncareservice
02-10-2012, 11:45 AM
How well do the tines wear?
Posted via Mobile Device

JRCO
02-13-2012, 12:29 PM
How well do the tines wear?
Posted via Mobile Device

Good question.

It really depends on your soil and how much you aerate. e.g. sandy soil will wear the tines down more quickly. But tines typically can last multiple seasons. Usually if you're going to break a tine, it would happen from hooking around a tree root just right. However, in most instances the individual head will pop up and roll over it.

Let me know if you have more questions. Maybe call or email me as I'm not intending to threadjack here.

Thanks,
Bill