PDA

View Full Version : Walker Questions

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-05-2012, 11:49 PM
What kind of problems can you expect from walker mower with the 23 hp kohler engine and ghs. As far as hydro pump, gaskets, blowers, the whole 9 yards.

Jason Rose
02-06-2012, 12:12 AM
New or used? How many hours?

If it's new, you won't have any problems at all. If it's used with around 1000 to 1200 hours you can expect to throw some money at it. New blower, some bushings, good idea to replace the belts, and so forth...

KS_Grasscutter
02-06-2012, 12:20 AM
If you replace the blower, go ahead and replace the starter at the same time, because the starter WILL go out shortly after, and you will have to remove the blower to get to it to replace it. Don't ask me how I know. That being said, now that I've had the blower in and out a few times I could do one in 30 minutes lol. Blower is like $400ish, starter is like $250ish I think.

Jason Rose
02-06-2012, 12:25 AM
I can attest to that, as I replaced my blower the first time at about 1000 hours, and I didn't even get to cut with it again (winter) before the damn starter went out! I could have replaced both in one shot, but nooooo, I ended up pulling the engine to replace the starter. Good time to give it a good cleaning anyway.

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-06-2012, 02:01 AM
yea I kinda figured. Im looking at a different one now. its got the 20 hp engine and only 331 hours and the high lift from factory. not that i would really need to use it cause in my area we just put the clippings on the street and the garbage men collect it. although it would save me money on bags tho, put a couple barrels in the bed of your truck and dump into there and then dump the clippings into a dumpster which i have access to. i just think with it only have 331 hours, it would give me more time to use it before im replacing stuff. do you think the 20hp is enough hp to run a 48in ghs deck

jetta
02-06-2012, 09:22 AM
20 hp is ok, i have 2 26hp and 3 20 hp power will be ok. replaced 2 blowers but never a starter, for what thats worth, my only concern is the cheap block on the kohlers, had 3 cylinders go bad all at approx 300 hr

Jason Rose
02-06-2012, 09:36 AM
I've NEVER had a kohler engine fail on me...

I agree that 20 hp is enough for the 48". This must be at least a 5 or 6 year old walker. I can't believe they allow you to leave the grass clippings in bags on the customers driveway! That's really tacky, in my opinion. Start hauling them off and set yourself apart from the competition!
Posted via Mobile Device

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-06-2012, 10:24 PM
I've NEVER had a kohler engine fail on me...

I agree that 20 hp is enough for the 48". This must be at least a 5 or 6 year old walker. I can't believe they allow you to leave the grass clippings in bags on the customers driveway! That's really tacky, in my opinion. Start hauling them off and set yourself apart from the competition!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep. Bag the clippings and set the bag out on the curb. Right now I mulch everything but I have heard nothing but good about the walker and with having some yards that are every two weeks :/ with the walker you wont have to cut the yard twice. What are some bad things about the walkers? How expensive are the parts?

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-06-2012, 10:30 PM
And the other thing about the walker is, if you cant bag a yard just cause its to tall, just open the rear hatch and let the clippings fly and then come back and bag when its little more scattered and wont allow it to clog it as easily. Do yll think 7000 is a good deal or offer him less

TheChiefsLawnCare
02-06-2012, 10:42 PM
whats the going price for a new 48in walker with ghs 20 hp kohler

BCR840
02-09-2012, 02:45 PM
I bought a MCGHS 42"/18hp with 311 hrs. last year. I gave $5700. I have been using it a lot last year and this year. Picks up leaves and debris like nothing else. Saved me a lot of time. I still dont use it on rough yards though. I have a Grandstand for that. After I got it I replaced (2) gaskets on the deck gear box, changed the oil and filter, adjusted the tracking, replaced the caster wheels with run flats. So far I love it. The parts are just about the same as any other mower I have owned. One thing I learned is when the "buzzer" goes off telling you the hopper is full, dont try and keep cutting. It will clog the shoot, blower etc. It will cause you time cleaning it out. and dont expect to go fast, its a grooming mower.

cutbetterthanyou
02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
One thing I learned is when the "buzzer" goes off telling you the hopper is full, dont try and keep cutting. It will clog the shoot, blower etc. It will cause you time cleaning it out. and dont expect to go fast, its a grooming mower.

Very true. The only other thing i can tell u is, i dont know how u r on maintenace, but a walker has alot of grease fittings.