PDA

View Full Version : DPF Delete Pictures

PlantscapeSolutions
02-05-2012, 10:56 PM
When you look up under the truck all you will see is a 5" TBE exhaust and MBRB muffler. No DPF or NOX converter anymore.

KrayzKajun
02-05-2012, 10:57 PM
I really need to delete my truck.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Here's what it looks like with your EGR cross tube removed and plugged. The actual EGR equipment is what you see on the left side of the motor. The EGR was plugged with an H&S kit. You can also buy a kit that will delete the entire EGR and you engine will look more like a 5.9.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-05-2012, 11:21 PM
No knowing your EGT's can be a $10,000 mistake. I use the Edge CT to keep track of EGT's, rail pressure, and boost. You can also get a trans temp sensor installed as well.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-05-2012, 11:29 PM
If you want to add 6% to your mpg's you can add an Airdog or FASS. These devices remove all the air that you do not realize is entrained in your fuel. Those tiny air particles get inside your CP3 and injectors and cause more wear. This add on part will replace your factory lift pump. It also has it's own fuel filter and water separator so you will no longer use the factory filters. The filtration is much better then what the factory filters could do.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I use the Smarty software to reprogram the ECM so it stops trying to use the DPF. I had to upgrade the Smarty to a Smarty ME for free. The ME stands for middle east and is the no DPF version of the software.

I have the Smarty set in the 65 hp setting which is considered tranny friendly for the 68RFE. Even in this setting you need ARP head studs or you risk blowing a head gasket that will cost you $800 to replace.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-05-2012, 11:51 PM
This is the most expensive hardware you will probably ever hold in your hand. This stud kit which looks like all thread is about $1200. These are ARP 625 heads studs.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Here's what my truck looks like. I'd like to get a Suncost Comp trans but with three kids and a lake that's 2/3rds empty that supplies our market with water it's not a good time to buy big ticket items. The Suncost Comp trans & converter will let you crank up your Smarty and go wild with mods. The trans will handle at least 1000 HP but it will set you back about $9000.

I also have a AFE Pro Dry airfilter and air box. It's nice to not have to mess with oiling your filter anymore.

jdutcher003
02-06-2012, 01:03 AM
So how many mpgs do you get with all the work you did? Whatdid you get before?

jrmikka
02-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Wow like all your pointers on your truck, i have a 2004 with a smarty jr. What would you recommend be the most important thing to do for my 2004. I also have some 5.9's do you know anything for the 5.9's that could beef them up?Here's what my truck looks like. I'd like to get a Suncost Comp trans but with three kids and a lake that's 2/3rds empty that supplies our market with water it's not a good time to buy big ticket items. The Suncost Comp trans & converter will let you crank up your Smarty and go wild with mods. The trans will handle at least 1000 HP but it will set you back about $9000.

I also have a AFE Pro Dry airfilter and air box. It's nice to not have to mess with oiling your filter anymore.

John_DeereGreen
02-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Wow like all your pointers on your truck, i have a 2004 with a smarty jr. What would you recommend be the most important thing to do for my 2004. I also have some 5.9's do you know anything for the 5.9's that could beef them up?

Transmission transmission transmission.

Make sure you have gauges too...I know the Smarty Jr says it's safe to run with no gauges but I've had one on my 04 and I wouldn't even consider running it without gauges again...it's got a Smarty Sr with TnT on it now and that runs cooler than the Jr did.

jrmikka
02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
i have a guy here in town that does my tranny work, all HD parts no skimping. what do the gauges do and which ones would i need...thanks

PlantscapeSolutions
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
So how many mpgs do you get with all the work you did? Whatdid you get before?

The mileage before was poor and a heavy foot didn't help. I never really ran a full tank of fuel to see exactly how bad it was. The Lie-O-Meter would show 13's on average.

I've taken one long 400 mile trip at 65 mph and I hand calculated 17.65 mpg's. The Lie-O-Meter now shows 15-16 on a regular basis now. You will pick at least 2 mpg's.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-06-2012, 09:56 PM
well said plantscapes, deleting my 6.4 powerstroke was the best thing ive ever done. i put a 4" afe stainless delete pipe, s&b closed dry filter intake, and use H&S mini maxx tuner. i also have kem custom tunes but those are way to powerful and i can trash my rear diff b/c of the axle wrap that that produces. i am saving up for a set of pmf traction bars and then going to take it to the track to test out mikes 345hp tune.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow like all your pointers on your truck, i have a 2004 with a smarty jr. What would you recommend be the most important thing to do for my 2004. I also have some 5.9's do you know anything for the 5.9's that could beef them up?

I also have a 2006 Ram 5.9 2500. It has no emissions crap and it's a work truck so I just did an AFE drop in filter and that's it.

If my 06' were my daily driver I would do a Smarty, 4" Turbo back exhaust, Edge CT gauges, and Airdog. Head studs are not needed for mild mods on the CR 5.9. It's a lot cheaper to beef up the auto 47 & 48 trans. If you have the G56 manual just a South Bend Con ofe clutch will let you handle several hundred extra horsepower.

The strongest trans ever put in a Dodge was the NV5600 manual. It wasn't a smooth as the G56 but it will hold a lot more power. My 02' Ram 2500 with a 5.9 H.O. (NV5600 only) and too many mods to list made about 500 HP at the rear wheels and about 1100 ft lbs of torque. For anyone near San Antonio Fuel Injection Specialties has a great Mustang Dyno that's much better then the one in Buda.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-06-2012, 10:17 PM
i have a guy here in town that does my tranny work, all HD parts no skimping. what do the gauges do and which ones would i need...thanks

With Diesels your exhaust gas temperature is the most important engine info that you need to keep an eye on with a modified truck. Even with a stock truck it's good to know your EGT's. You want to try to keep the EGT's below about 1250 F most of the time.

When guys with crazy modified trucks kill an engine it usually because their EGT's spiked up to 1500 F or more and they burned a hole in a piston.

If you use a Smarty the Edge CT or if you want a touch screen the CTS gauges work great and don't cost too much. I think my CT was around $320 and the dash pod was about $30.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-06-2012, 10:26 PM
well said plantscapes, deleting my 6.4 powerstroke was the best thing ive ever done. i put a 4" afe stainless delete pipe, s&b closed dry filter intake, and use H&S mini maxx tuner. i also have kem custom tunes but those are way to powerful and i can trash my rear diff b/c of the axle wrap that that produces. i am saving up for a set of pmf traction bars and then going to take it to the track to test out mikes 345hp tune.

I toyed with my 130 HP tune a little but every now and then the torque converter would give me some feedback it wasn't happy. I just stick with my 65 HP tune to play it safe for now.

You probably need need some ARP head studs as well if your going to play with the ponies. A blown HG on a Ford is big bucks since the cab has to be removed. On a Dodge it's $800 but on the Ford it's got to be $2000 or more.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Studs r not necessary on the 6.4 until much later in the modding process, they are much beefier than the 6.0 motors. My brothers 06 6.0l has the works done. Studded, egr delete, brand new heads, new turbo, new ficm, and a bunch of other stuff to handle innovatives xtreme race tune, and my 6.4 with three mods takes him easily. Several 6.4s with my mods r putting down 580-600hp and 1190-1200tq at the wheels. Not tryign to turn this into ford v dodge, just trying to show the benefits of deleting
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
02-07-2012, 02:36 PM
There was a good Diesel Power 6.0 & 6.4 article that showed all the power levels and required mods to support the power. Many place say once you hit 600 HP your playing with fire on the 6.4 HG gasket issue. Just the though of wasting $2000+ on a blown HG would make me buy some studs so I could sleep easy.

greendoctor
02-07-2012, 02:55 PM
The mileage before was poor and a heavy foot didn't help. I never really ran a full tank of fuel to see exactly how bad it was. The Lie-O-Meter would show 13's on average.

I've taken one long 400 mile trip at 65 mph and I hand calculated 17.65 mpg's. The Lie-O-Meter now shows 15-16 on a regular basis now. You will pick at least 2 mpg's.

I would imagine that a malfunctioning egr valve was largely to blame for the poor mileage. I have a 2007.5 3500 Heavy Duty with the 6.7 engine. Until the dealer replaced the egr valve, I suffered clogged DPF's, soot damaging the turbo, soot everywhere in the intake and actual fuel mileage of 15 or less. Cant go faster than 60 MPH here, anything over is charged as racing and reckless driving. Police is really uptight here. With the egr valve fixed, no more soot issues and my mileage is up to 18 regularly. Now this is in stop and go traffic, as well as pulling a skid sprayer plus all of the fertilizers/chemicals up the sides of mountains. Hawaii is not flat.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-07-2012, 08:08 PM
I would imagine that a malfunctioning egr valve was largely to blame for the poor mileage. I have a 2007.5 3500 Heavy Duty with the 6.7 engine. Until the dealer replaced the egr valve, I suffered clogged DPF's, soot damaging the turbo, soot everywhere in the intake and actual fuel mileage of 15 or less. Cant go faster than 60 MPH here, anything over is charged as racing and reckless driving. Police is really uptight here. With the egr valve fixed, no more soot issues and my mileage is up to 18 regularly. Now this is in stop and go traffic, as well as pulling a skid sprayer plus all of the fertilizers/chemicals up the sides of mountains. Hawaii is not flat.

You have a one in a million truck if your getting 18 mpg's with a DPF. The DPF wastes about 2+ mpg. My truck at 65 mph on a flat 400 mile trip was 17.65 mpg. If I had dropped to 55 I'm sure I could have picked up another mpg.

PlantscapeSolutions
02-07-2012, 11:28 PM
Even though I do not own an H&S tuner I do have the H&S transmission software. The software raises the shift points and rids the truck of it's low rpm lugging that makes the truck sound like it has a drone issues with the exhaust.

greendoctor
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
You have a one in a million truck if your getting 18 mpg's with a DPF. The DPF wastes about 2+ mpg. My truck at 65 mph on a flat 400 mile trip was 17.65 mpg. If I had dropped to 55 I'm sure I could have picked up another mpg.

Due to the heavy traffic here, it is really hard to go over 55. I am planning to remove the DPF and EGR valve once the emissions warranty runs out. When those components acted up previously, the warranty covered the repair costs. Otherwise, I would have been out over $3,000 each time. My truck is the smallest 3500 Dodge makes. Single axle, Quad Cab and short bed. That might have something to do with the 18 MPG. Basically needed something to carry sprayers and chemicals anywhere.

LuckyFlyinROUSH
02-08-2012, 11:37 PM
Speaking of DPF deletes, I have a DPF/cat delete for a Ford 6.4 if anyone is interested. I am in the KC, MO area. PM Me.