PDA

View Full Version : jamming out on the job

TLC96
02-06-2012, 02:59 AM
does anyone else besides me jam out on the job i put my headphones on put NIRVANA on and just jam the hell out makes the job go by faster

RickL1700
02-06-2012, 03:20 AM
does anyone else besides me jam out on the job i put my headphones on put NIRVANA on and just jam the hell out makes the job go by faster

I do that too. I have a smart phone, put it on random with my ear buds in and mow away. Sometimes when I'm trimming I pull the bud's out of my ear so I do it mostly while on the mower. Sucks the life right out of my phone tho so I have to charge it alot in between jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device

TLC96
02-06-2012, 03:42 AM
my girlfriend got me an mp3 player she told me ima go deaf cause i have it so loud but idc i jam out everywhere i go and all the time it just puts me in a better mood

RickL1700
02-06-2012, 03:55 AM
U work for someone or do ur own work?
Posted via Mobile Device

TLC96
02-06-2012, 04:02 AM
I started my own business bout 2 years ago after the body shop i worked for closed and i couldnt find a job

OneLineAtATime
02-06-2012, 08:43 AM
I jam when i mow, which isn't often. Lots when bed edging, i had to get a cheap MP3.. Need my phone batt. for the net, and text

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-06-2012, 09:00 AM
I've been known to do a one legged dance on the sulky as I'm mowing along....or play the "trimmer guitar" if a real rocker comes through the headphones.....=D Gotta be happy while your working!

orangemower
02-06-2012, 09:12 AM
When I jam out, I do it for real. :)

yardguy28
02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
u used to have a set of work tunes ear protection that i listened to the radio on and then when i got my ipod shuffle i plugged that in. but i've gone through 3 work tunes. for some reason something internal happens and it doesn't work after awhile so i gave up. last season was a quiet one.

but i never turn the volume up so far i can't hear anything else. i gotta be able to hear the engine and things like that.

i do think it makes the days go by faster and smoother.

mikeypizano
02-06-2012, 11:37 AM
If I didn't have my music, I would have to many random ideas!

scottslawncareav
02-06-2012, 11:39 AM
yeah i do but get tired of my play list and the radio doesnt work that well. Does anyone listen to books or know what a good site is to download them?

Mikegyver
02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
If I didn't have my music, I would have to many random ideas!
Me too! OR i'd think about everyone and everything I saw...that could be bad :nono:
I am a jammer also. Crank it up and get it done! I encourage my worker(s) to get an MP3 player or a smart phone also. Everyone seems to work faster when there's more going on than the drone of a mower or the WEEEEEZZZ of a trimmer.
Mike

Wecutgrass
02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
when your jamming out, do you worry that you cant here the mower?

lazer 46
02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
I have an 8gig Ipod that I listen too every day. i have over 100 GB of music on my conmputer and every night I delete the music I played that day on the ipod and reload and recharge for the next day. I used cheap earbuds the first year and had to turn the volume up too loud to hear the music. The second year I bought a couple sets of really good earbuds that block out external noise and they make a world of difference.

Dr.NewEarth
02-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Our compensation board won't allow us to wear music headphones. We have to protect our hearing at all times. Mowing and trimming is damn loud as it is. I don't understand why you would want to damage your hearing by wearing ear buds?

TriCountyLawn
02-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Good ear buds ($2-400) will effectively cancel out noise enough to listen to music at a safe level. Cheaper buds that may or may not fit properly will cause you to turn up loud enough that you defeat the point of trying to save your hearing. I use the same set of buds that I use on stage (custom mold w/ triple drivers) to listen to my ipod and its great.

rlmlandscape
02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Our compensation board won't allow us to wear music headphones. We have to protect our hearing at all times. Mowing and trimming is damn loud as it is. I don't understand why you would want to damage your hearing by wearing ear buds?

They make headphones now that actually dampen out the mower noise to almost nothing and allows you to listen to your music at a normal volume. I dont think these guys have music blasting but more or less rock out while working.

For me its noise cancelling ear buds and my smart phone or ipod (when I'm not constantly breaking one)

HRidgeLandscapes
02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
me and all my guys listen to music while we work i dont think we would make it thru the day sometimes without it

Jason
02-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Oh Ya Ipone on Pandora with the stihl headphones to block the noise ready to go. I tried the book thing but it about put me to sleep couldn't't stop yawning.

Mikegyver
02-06-2012, 03:00 PM
I don't blast my ears out at all. I use the rubber kind...you can trim with them only BUT I usually wear muffs over them while mowing.
Mike

crazymike
02-06-2012, 03:06 PM
In certain circumstances I discourage this. Although the noise stops you from hearing your surroundings, headphones enhance this and can also be distracting to employees.

Roger
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
I tried to use by iTouch with Stihl ear-muffs a couple of years ago. I was hopeful I could make better use of my time by listening to podcasts.

It only took a couple of days to see this as a failed strategy. First, the external sounds made it impossible to hear the podcasts well enough. Secondly, I was spending waaaaaay too much time fiddling with wires, buds, and play selection on the iTouch. When I get to a job site, I want to get to work, work hard, load up and get on to the next job. I quickly realized I was hurting my times at each site fiddling with this thing. It was taken out, and left at home.

I confirm my understanding when I drive by other sites and see a couple of workers fiddling with their wires, buds, etc. Of course, these are employees, not owners, and time isn't nearly as important to them.

For me, bottom line: waste of time. (P.S. Add cell phones to this mix as well)

ralph02813
02-06-2012, 03:34 PM
I get lost in my own head - that is strange enough for me!!

weeze
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
i listen to music when i'm in the truck driving from job to job.

mikeypizano
02-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Just a tip, put the headphone wires under your shirt. It will keep them from snagging on things. I learned that the hard way. I use in ear Sony headphones and when they rip out of your ear it HURTS!

Mikegyver
02-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Just a tip, put the headphone wires under your shirt. It will keep them from snagging on things. I learned that the hard way. I use in ear Sony headphones and when they rip out of your ear it HURTS!
I think earbuds getting ripped out of your ears is one of the top 10 most painful things!
On the time issue...I feel like any fiddling time is absorbed by the time saved because of the music. I seriously believe that we move faster when listening to music.
Mike

mikeypizano
02-06-2012, 05:51 PM
MCC Lawn Care, mine are the silicon tipped ones too! YOUCH!

205mx
02-06-2012, 08:53 PM
I listen to Dave ramsey and rush :-)

scottslawncareav
02-07-2012, 01:27 AM

yeah i learned to put them under my shirt then i roll the extra wire around the mp3 player and put it in the small pocket in my pants

mikeypizano
02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
What works really well is something with a clip. My iPod is one of the old video models (5th gen) and my case has a clip so I just clip it on my jeans.

lazer 46
02-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I put my Ipod nano on a lanyard and hang it around my neck and behind my shirt. Completely out of the way and easy to pull out to make adjustments to my music if needed. All of the earbud cord goes the same place. This works really well. Very little cord visible to snag on anything.

Roger
02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
On the time issue...I feel like any fiddling time is absorbed by the time saved because of the music. I seriously believe that we move faster when listening to music.
Mike

I was the one who made the comment about the extra time fiddling with buds, player, wires under the shirt, etc.

I will have to respectfully disagree with your assessment, but may be alone. The reason I base my opinion is experience with podcasts and off-season walking.

During the off-season (like now!), I walk 7-8 miles each day. My goal is 1:50 of non-stop brisk walking. If I take my iTouch, loaded with podcasts, my time can run as long as 2:00. When no iTouch, my full route walk times will vary only a minute or two. But, when I've got a wire in my ear, the times are always longer.

OK, you can start the jabs, ... "Can't walk and chew gum at the same time, huh?" I think the difference is directing focus -- either with the task at hand, or split between task, and the audio feed.

mikeypizano
02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Roger, I find that I move faster with the right music. It all depends on the BPM for me. Faster the music, faster I want to move!

BrunoT
02-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Music is good when you need the energy boost. But it gets old after a while.

I find for me talk radio, news, and even stuff like Howard Stern makes the time pass faster than music does. You'll also gain valuable knowledge if you use the time to listen to financial or other informational podcasts and recorded books instead of zoning out.

I'm an investor and get all my detailed market and economic information while mowing lawns. I'd fall asleep if I had to listen to that stuff at my desk, but while working it isn't too bad.

I'm sure many here could use some basic business and accounting information, or even horticultural courses. You can practically get the equivalent of a college degree these days from stuff you can download for cheap or free if you look around enough. Seems a shame to waste the time. Examples:

Accounting http://www.amazon.com/Accounting-for-Dummies-Third-Edition/dp/B000YHH1PQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328695805&sr=1-3

How to run a business: http://www.amazon.com/Nolos-Crash-Course-Business-Basics/dp/B0024L18IQ/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328695852&sr=1-9

Employee relations : ) http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-for-Landscaping/dp/B000YA9CIC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328695940&sr=1-1

Economics (essential for really understanding the world) http://www.amazon.com/Economics-in-One-Lesson/dp/B00005459Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328696010&sr=1-1

Understanding how to handle the money you eventually make http://www.amazon.com/Personal-Finance-for-Dummies/dp/B0000546FC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328696226&sr=1-1

And finally...maybe something for our writing challenged members who come here asking how to write this or that:
http://www.amazon.com/Effective-Business-Writing-Success-messages/dp/B004TP9CMY/ref=sr_1_24?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328696090&sr=1-24

scottslawncareav
02-13-2012, 12:07 PM
do you use an i phone to get that? my mp3 dosnt even have a.m. and your right you get tired of the music on there real quick. I just am afraid to buy an ipod or iphone when i worked in the pipe line industry they called me pig pen so i think if i got one i would end up destroying it in a month or so. I dont know what it is but even mowing i end up with a cup of dirt in my pockets can never seem to stay clean.

agent walker
02-13-2012, 04:39 PM
i almost alway listen to music or audiobooks. have an 8gb cowon d2 mp3 player with sennheiserr noise isolating earbuds. if you have to have something in your ears, it may as well entertain you and keep you from getting bored!

Thanksman
02-13-2012, 04:53 PM
:headphones: I rock out with everything I do, But there are a few customers I wont let me see jammin... But music makes me happy and the day go bye.:cool2::headphones:

Darryl G
02-13-2012, 05:18 PM
I've had problems with using mp3 players, worktune headphones and all that sort of stuff...they just break....and even turned up all the way it's never loud enough, so I bought a big boombox and have it strapped to the top of the rear bagger on my Z rider and crank it to the max. :laugh:

nola lawn maintenance
02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
I started out using ear plugs. I was like wtf am i doing. So i started using the ipod and i jam all day. I prefer metal, rock and roll and Walton and Johnson.

CircleC
02-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Always jamming on the job! Makes the day go smoother....I have even had prez of an HOA I take care of comment on it..."I always see you rocking out with your headphones on"! I have a pair of beats by Dre. I do have to to wear ear plugs with them but that keeps ears from ringing!
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
02-13-2012, 08:49 PM

This is what I do...I have the smallest iPod apple makes so I can clip that baby almost anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

jsslawncare
02-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I wear AO's. And love them.

cgaengineer
02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
I've had problems with using mp3 players, worktune headphones and all that sort of stuff...they just break....and even turned up all the way it's never loud enough, so I bought a big boombox and have it strapped to the top of the rear bagger on my Z rider and crank it to the max. :laugh:

It would be cooler if it was chrome and you called it a "ghetto blaster"...oh and if it took played tapes.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
02-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Colt Ford, Brantley Gilbert, Jawga Boyz, Godsmack and Nickleback...that's pretty much what I listen to.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-13-2012, 09:04 PM
yeah i do but get tired of my play list and the radio doesnt work that well. Does anyone listen to books or know what a good site is to download them?

Demonoid.me has a good selection of audio books.

I use beats by dre under my ear muffs - keeps things loud and clear but not so loud that I can not hear what is going on around me.

Valk
02-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Klipsch S4 earbuds attached to my iPhone so I can here those potential customers calling and answer to schedule an estimate. Lots of folks don't like leaving messages (including me) so I make myself available during the early Spring.

Govt Mule, SRV, Robert Cray, Metallica, TOOL, A Perfect Circle, The Who, Doobies, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Indigenous, The Cult, Radio Moscow, Van Halen...etc!!!

BrunoT
02-14-2012, 02:47 AM
do you use an i phone to get that? my mp3 dosnt even have a.m. and your right you get tired of the music on there real quick. I just am afraid to buy an ipod or iphone when i worked in the pipe line industry they called me pig pen so i think if i got one i would end up destroying it in a month or so. I dont know what it is but even mowing i end up with a cup of dirt in my pockets can never seem to stay clean.

A very good protective cover is important for anything expensive. Now I use the following cheap gear:

1. For Sirius/XM news, talk radio, music: A cheap old portable XM recorder/player I got for $99. I record stuff overnight and listen the next day. It will also play stuff saved on a microchip but I never use that feature.

2. For podcasts: A fairly cheap mp3 player. Again I download from the web and load it on periodically.

3. Audiobook downloads: Go on the mp3 player.

4. The future: Probably going to break down and trade up to a Droid Bionic or Razr and use both an otterbox case (shock resistant, keeps most dust off) and hold it in a leather snap "holster" type case on my belt when working so it won't fall off ever. With two layers of protection hopefully I won't destroy it. I use speakers installed into regular ear muff protectors so if I snag and break a cord it's no biggie. I get them for about $10 each and they snap right into the peltors. Running the cord under the shirt will help with snagging if you're doing something around limbs and brush.

This will then provide me with pandora radio, Sirius news/talk/entertainment channels via the sirius app, playback of podcasts stored in unit, playback of audio books, and finally, with a docking station google NAV for getting around. My new truck will have sync bluetooth so it should be relatively easy to stream content to the stereo and also use it for hands-free phone over the truck's audio system.

The wife gets her phone costs reimbursed from her employer so with a family plan mine only costs about $40/mo more with 4GB data. The ability to use the Sirius app means I can drop one account and use the internet feed during the day and save $180 or so a year, more than enough to cover the cost of the phone. I could probably break one phone during 2 years and break even on what I'm spending now. I consider it a cost of doing business.

I have surrendered and joined the smartphone generation.

BrunoT
02-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Klipsch S4 earbuds attached to my iPhone so I can here those potential customers calling and answer to schedule an estimate. Lots of folks don't like leaving messages (including me) so I make myself available during the early Spring.

Govt Mule, SRV, Robert Cray, Metallica, TOOL, A Perfect Circle, The Who, Doobies, Steely Dan, Dire Straits, Indigenous, The Cult, Radio Moscow, Van Halen...etc!!!

Good idea. Only it seems I am always winded and dizzy from heat and exertion when someone calls so I prefer to wait till I'm at least back in the truck for calls. I sound ******ed sometimes when I get that worn out.

Valk
02-14-2012, 11:31 AM
Good idea. Only it seems I am always winded and dizzy from heat and exertion when someone calls so I prefer to wait till I'm at least back in the truck for calls. I sound ******ed sometimes when I get that worn out.

IFF one is seeking more new business, then being able to answer the phone (I'm solo) is vital for 'some' new customers. Finding an LCO is a PITA and they wish to get it over with to get back to their lives...& I don't blame them. Smartphones make this easy as I can just record their pertinent info ON THE SPOT while in the field and tend to the estimate when appropriate.

How do you feel when you call a mower dealer in search of a specific part and get their answering machine forcing you to leave a message? Right...I just call the next one on my list hoping to talk to a live person.

Jason Rose
02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
For the guys that use ear buds. Get these! They are true hearing protection plus tunes! I've been using them for a few years now. The inline volume control is awesome to have to be able to adjust as needed and they don't get loud enough to actually damage your hearing like plain ear buds can if you are trying to hear over the noise of a mower.

As for being able to hear the equipment, I have no problem with that at all. Actually because they take out the high pitched whine of the mower I can hear problems better with them in! Odd rattles, squeaks, etc. I can still hear the blades cutting and tell if there's a clog, I can hear the engine and tell if it's bogging down no problem, I just don't have to hear the high pitched noises that are really annoying.

I listen to pandora through my phone usually, when I can get it, or else mp3's, also from the phone. I set my "station" on pandora to either Godsmack or Avenged Sevenfold!

3M E-A-R Buds Earbud Noise Cancelling Headphones

Valk
02-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Thanks Jason!

Most new earbuds come with a variety of tips...and like you, I found the kind like/similar in your picture to work best at sealing out extraneous noises with my Klipsch brand earbuds.

One can also order new tips such as a box of assorted tips to try...then find the ones/size that works best for one's ears and just order those. Not saying that any tip will fit any earbud though, so........

Also, on my iPhone I can preset my max volume so I can't turn it up too loud.

Lefet
02-14-2012, 04:51 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I don't listen to music while working. I'm anal to the point of wanting to hear, see or smell something before it becomes an issue. I'm listening to the hum of whatever engine I'm using, or paying attention to someone who may be walking by or whatever. So, no, I don't "jam out" while working. Needless to say what it may look like when I'm done if distracted by music!!!

(I know, party pooper :hammerhead: it isn't the first time, and sure it won't be the last!!)

yardguy28
02-14-2012, 05:05 PM
i prefer to hear the engine noise as well, which is why when i do jam out it's not set so high that i can't hear the engine.

it's more for background music for me but as i said i don't do it anymore really. i've been through 3 sets of work tunes. for some reason they keep breaking so i stopped buying them.

Valk
02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I do a lot of research before making purchases...and it was a common complaint that some earbuds worked well for some folks when others did not. It makes perfect sense that we all have different sized/shaped ear canals...making the actual earbud tips very important for a good seal making the music really shine while filtering out the high decibels of our workplace(s).

I've always worn decibel reducing (chainsaw) foam earplugs as they make the day go by easier while hearing the drone of the various engines (mower/trimmer/blower/etc) we all are accustomed to. When I found the best fitting earbud tips, it made a world of difference when working as I am still able to hear any changes in RPMs/etc while getting the full effect that music can provide, as stated above by Jason Rose.

VERY important not to turn any personal stereo/earbuds/headphones up TOO loud cuz all that sound is just being funneled into our God-given sensory organs. Not sure we can adequately fix these if we break them. Hearing aids can only do so much.

Misterbluesky
02-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Have worn ear muffs for ever it seems to reduce hearing damage. Before ear buds I broke the speakers off the headset (2 wire) and popped them into the muffs. Yes don't turn up to loud. Started years ago with Sony Walkman radio, then cassette player, tried CD player but to much bounce, then mp3, then ipod, now iphone with podcasts and can hear phone ring. Would not have it any other way!
Just pay attention to your surroundings.:clapping:

Jason Rose
02-14-2012, 07:10 PM
An example of how not loud I run mine, I can usually hear someone talking with them in, though with the music it does make it hard to understand some people. With regular old ear plugs I can usually have a conversation with them in, though a little difficult. For the guys that want to "hear" the equipment, that's great, but 6 to 8 hours a day 6 days a week and after a few years you WILL start noticing some hearing loss! You have to get used to the ear plugs, but after a few days of using them you get to them!
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
02-15-2012, 07:38 AM
for at least the past 4 years i've worn the muff style ear protection.

i had ear problems when i was a toddler and over the years of wearing ear plugs, they pushed so much wax into my ears that the wax was compacted.

a couple of years ago i had them irrigated and either due to the irrigation or some long time ago i have a small hole in my left ear drum.

keep meaning to have it fixed during the off season but the only time it bothers me is the few times i get water in it and things sound a little muffled until the water dries up. which takes longer than when you have water in your ear normally.

since i've gone through 3 pairs of work tunes i've been back to just plain old ear muff protection for the past 2 years. no music.

Mikegyver
02-15-2012, 10:02 AM
I get the rubber ones from walmart and they seem to block out a lot of noise. I need to get those ones that are pictured above...no more muffs!

cgaengineer
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
I buy the cheapest ear bud noise canceling ones I can find...I tend to break them or fill them with sweat...I go through 2-3 per season.

yardguy28
02-15-2012, 10:52 AM
I buy the cheapest ear bud noise canceling ones I can find...I tend to break them or fill them with sweat...I go through 2-3 per season.

we're not talking the cheapy roll up and stick in your ear one's are we?

thats what i used to use and i'd use a fresh clean set each day.

mikeypizano
02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
we're not talking the cheapy roll up and stick in your ear one's are we?

thats what i used to use and i'd use a fresh clean set each day.

I think he meant headphones.