PDA

View Full Version : Want to drop customer I seriously dislike dealing with, professionally. How?

DLM155
02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
Have a customer I truely hate dealing with. I don't want to try and renegotiate prices up to a point I think he will not pay, I just want to drop him cold-turkey. He is quite wealthy and I think hes been through most of the other companies in my area and would likely pay up. I don't want his money, he isn't worth it. I don't want to do this unprofessionally as we work by reputation and I don't know who he knows. I don't want to play the ignore his phone calls game, either.

We have no contracts and neither of us have a debt/balance for one another. Suggestions? Advice is much appreciated. This will be the first customer I drop for something other than non-payment.

Lefet
02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Why not just be honest and tell him you will no longer be able to perform his services for him. Go the extra mile and find a couple of numbers to give to him to call. Make sure you give him enough notice (2 weeks). Just tell him you two have different opinions and you think it's best he find someone else.

PROCUT1
02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Send a letter.

Mr So and So

This year I have made some changes with my route and unfortunately I will no longer be able to service your property.

Thank you for your business

Signed
Lawn guy

phillie
02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
I cancelled a customer last year. The way I went about it was, I went to his house and told him that unfortunately I could not handle their account anymore. They asked why and I was honest. No matter what you do he could still give you a bad name, thats why most of us just deal with the headache customers and just make it a quick trip. Sometimes you have to take the jit to the rep or bite the bullet. I would say if he ponies up more bux then try that first and see if it changes what you are willing to deal with.

arninglawns
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Send a letter.

Mr So and So

This year I have made some changes with my route and unfortunately I will no longer be able to service your property.

Thank you for your business

Signed
Lawn guy

That has also worked well for me in the past. Email or snail mail, so you don't have to talk to him. Don't leave an opening for him to ask why or offer more cash.

blk90s13
02-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I had some what a customer like that last year, Pain in the behind

Picked up the phone one day and told him I wont be servicing him anymore ! he seemed shocked and asked why ? my answer was : I have my own reasons and I dont want to discuss it at the moment

After I hung up the phone it felt so good its like a weight off my shoulders I really hated working for him.

Dr.NewEarth
02-06-2012, 01:07 PM
I would sent a letter. Get e-mail addresses from every-one from now on. Save a Bundle on stamps. Send out your invoices by e-mail pdf.

Roger
02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Why not be simple: We will no longer be servicing your property.

Trying to paste it over with "route changes" is bogus. You know it, he knows it, ... fooling nobody.

I have done this with a few over the many years, and nobody ever returned with questions. Let's face it, grass cutters are a dime a dozen. He knows after getting your letter, a new cutter is only a phone call away. If you were offering something unique, and he was in a bind to find a replacement, that is another story. But, grass cutters .... not so much.

wbw
02-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I call them and tell them that I truly appreciate their business but that beginning next month I will no longer be servicing their area. I will service you this month at no charge but you will need to have a new service provider by the first of next month.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-06-2012, 11:36 PM
Just tell him you are overbooked and need to let him go. Done.

american dream
02-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Could do what I did. I had a guy who would always watch over and knit pick every thing for bout 2seasons,at the next to last cuts I told him he must not be happy with my work and that he should plan on finding someone for next season as I was not going to continue to work for someone who did not trust me.He got pretty tore up and said he was happy and told me he did not want us to quit,ever since things there have been great! Some times got to tell them were the bear shits! And take your chances.

Kelly's Landscaping
02-07-2012, 12:43 AM
I am dumping half a dozen and some of them are going to get a letter some aren't even worth that. The 3 that have parking issues that have become unbearable are easy enough to cut and understandable. The one that was 11 months behind hehehehe yea I'm going to pass on that now that I have been paid. The cheap condo that didn't want to pay for anything that hired a account manager that just gave a insane list as they put our account out to bid :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

living Green Property
02-07-2012, 12:59 AM
I never dropped a customer I just keep raising the rate. And if they want to pay it I will be happy with it.lol

Roger
02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I think all those suggesting using some bogus mechanism are not understanding the "at will" relationship. The basic principle underlying the working relationship in these cases is "at will." Understand this, and there is no reason for all the bogus attempts at explanations.

LS has plenty of threads by LCOs discussing being dropped. If the customer provides a reason, often the response of the LCO, "... that is just an excuse, not the real reason." If we can see the phony excuses customers provide, why won't the customer see the phony ways an LCO works?

wbw
02-07-2012, 01:51 PM
I think all those suggesting using some bogus mechanism are not understanding the "at will" relationship. The basic principle underlying the working relationship in these cases is "at will." Understand this, and there is no reason for all the bogus attempts at explanations.

LS has plenty of threads by LCOs discussing being dropped. If the customer provides a reason, often the response of the LCO, "... that is just an excuse, not the real reason." If we can see the phony excuses customers provide, why won't the customer see the phony ways an LCO works?

The point is to take away any excuse the customer has to bad mouth you. The power of the customer through the internet is amazing. This is why I never charge them for the last months service when I drop them.

jhayden
02-16-2012, 02:11 PM
We have dropped customers in the past in a few different ways, but normally over the phone or in person. I have found it to be tactful and professional to tell the customer that they have not seemed happy with the service and it is time for us to part ways. Refer them to the newspaper or online to find another company. Be honest with the reason for cancelling.

Patriot Services
02-16-2012, 02:15 PM
Have you ever been dropped without reason? They don't owe you an excuse and you don't owe them one. Take emotion out, it's just business.:usflag:

Jason Rose
02-16-2012, 03:09 PM
I dropped one a few years ago. Reasons were that I was tired of dealing with the wife that was, in my opinion, bi-polar and frequently demanded that I changed mowing days and even times just to suit her "gardening or relaxing in the sun time". Her husband would tell me one thing and she would tell me something else all the time. They accused me of breaking up a pathway of pavers with my "heavy mower" even though they started crumbling after a cold and icy winter. The straw that broke it though was when they hired another company to come in and do the spring clean up and cutting down dozens of pampas and ornamental grasses, which I had done for years very well, citing that they thought I didn't like doing it so they just got this other guy to do it and I was still to mow and fertilize.

I finally met with him and told him that I was unhappy with the situations and that the demands on the time and days of service were getting too tight to me to be able to adhere too anymore (which he knew nothing about) and that at this time I think it may be best that he find someone else to take care of their lawn. He was ok with it, we shook hands and I went on my way.

I had been doing their lawn for about 6 years, and the guy before me had done it for about the same, and he actually parted ways with them in much the same way, he actually referred me to them which is how I got the lawn in the first place! He said he was surprised I stuck with them as long as I did, lol.

clydebusa
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Do it the Steve Marin way. Say I break with thee three times and throw dog poop on their shoes.

LindblomRJ
02-16-2012, 07:33 PM
You are not obligated to give a reason. A simple letter stating you will no longer service the property after a certain date. No need for excuses. Keep it professional, keep it brief.

BCboy
02-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Just write a letter to him.

Dear mr smith,

Thank you for your business in the past.
Unfortunately we will not be able to service your yard this coming season.
Again, thank you for your business.

Sincerely, Joes lawn cutting