View Full Version : Lawncare "Box" Trucks vs Pick-up Trucks
02-06-2012, 01:47 PM
I've always used pick-ups and trailers in my business but I've recently starting thinking switching my fleet over to box trucks.
What advantages and disadvantages do you see or have experienced with using box trucks?
02-06-2012, 02:14 PM
Only real disadvantage is the inability to carry things in the bed, like you can on a truck. Branches, clippings, etc.
If you have employees running your crews then box trucks are the better way to go.
02-06-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm looking at setting up a box truck setup right now. I have a post in the trucks forum.
- theft prevention. You can park it many places without worrying about theft. Trailers are easy to steal. An entire truck is not.
- parking. It's easier to park a truck then a truck and trailer. My brothers truck and 25' snowmobile trailer is narrow and over 50' when hooked up to his truck.
- no unloading/loading everyday. Keep everything in the trailer.
-less clutter on job site. A spacious box truck doesn't need to be fully unloaded to reach everything
-holds branches, mulch bags, etc... without needing to be secured
-use year round for walkway crews, etc...
-easier for staff to navigate/backup. A trailer takes a spotter and skill to backup. A box truck just requires a spotter. It's no different than backing up a pickup.
- not practical to carry bulk material like mulches, etc...
- if it breaks down, you need to transfer everything, not just hook up another truck
- requires heavy tow if breaks down
Personally, the only thing that concerns me is breakdowns. That said, those Isuzu and Hinos are supposed to be fairly indestructible.
Bulk materials like mulch, etc... don't concern me because that's what dump trucks are for. Picking up materials in a pickup truck is impractical to me. If it's just a yard, then it can just as easily be dumped in a box truck. As for garbage, they can put it in the box truck. Not a big deal.
My only concern is if I should buy new and spend money getting a box done up.
Or buy used with a nice box, have it done up the way I like. And replace the truck part when it becomes expensive to maintain. I'm not sure how much the ramp system will tie in to the truck.
vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.