PDA

View Full Version : tree service

noahb195
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Hey guys i would love to get in tree service/removal side of the business. But my business accosiate(my dad) really doesnt want to mess with this. Any pros/cons in getting involved with this business??

Thanks

32vld
02-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Money.

Buying bigger truck, trailer, stump grinder, and I mean a real stump grinder not the little toys that you rent from tha tool center.

Learning how to climb.

Eventually realising faster safer with a bucket truck so you by one of those, etc, etc, etc.

Florida Gardener
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
I only take on tree work that can be done with a ladder as my insurance covers ladder work. I only do pruning and take down smaller trees. I don't use a grinder or bucket...
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
You'll be dealing with guys that will drop it and take it away for the wood. Insurance is out of the ballpark. The equipment you need to do it safely will set you back quite a bit of money. It's not like you can just go out and chop a tree down and you'll make money.

Don't be this guy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJTJ5OA4HU

noahb195
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I wasnt trying to make it sound like it was an easy thing to do. But i do get what all yall are saying. Thanks for input guys

jkingrph
02-06-2012, 10:11 PM
I just had three trees taken out, large oaks.

The first two were by a large crew, using ropes and climbing, and then back breaking work to load everything up to remove. I had a place to burn so they burned most of the smaller stuff and hauled the rest away. I then had to find someone else to grind the stump and he told me about another gentleman who he worked with and could remove the other tree for far less than I had been charged.

The second crew was far more professional. A two man crew, they brought in a large dump trailer, and a self propelled snorkel that must have extended up about 70'. He positioned the trailer and started cutting off branches and limbs and dropping them directly into the trailer. This was after he told me he was only going to handle it once.

Once all but the large trunk remained, they positioned the snorkel basket to push on it so it could not fall onto my house, then cut it down then into smaller pieces which were lifted with the help of a couple of chains by the snorkel into the trailer. They had safety equipment, harnesses attached to the basket and hard hats with ear protection which were worn at all times.

The reason for my estimate of snorkel height was that he also took down an old TV antenna that I know was 50 feet tall, and did this with snorkel positioned about 25 feet away from antenna base.

Snorkel, dump trailer, big fifth wheel trailer for snorkel, 1 ton and 1 1/2 or 2 ton truck for snorkel trailer, plus chain saws and other equipement add up to a lot of equipment investment.

The investment in equipment and letting it do the heavy work, safely sure beat the way the other guys had to muscle the large trunk pieces onto their old low boy trailer. It took six guys to manhandle one piece, and that was after I got a couple of old landscape timbers for them to use as levers. A day of work like that and you are exhausted, enough years and your body is broken down and in pain; The others with the equipment, and 1/3 the crew were a bit slower, but only went home tired a bit and could keep that type work up for years with breaking down the old body.

I'm not in the business and never will be, but from what I saw can only say if you are going to do it do it right, think about the future and your health.

KrayzKajun
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
I've been getting into more tree work. Recently got my Arborist License. There is a lot more too it than just cutting trees. Arboriculture focuses on ways to save trees & protecting them during construction, proper pruning/trimming techniques.
Posted via Mobile Device

blk90s13
02-06-2012, 10:16 PM
Insurance is expensive for tree work.

That guy with the tree on his house cant even start a chainsaw the right way

crazymike
02-06-2012, 10:26 PM
Tree cutting is not just falling a few trees here and there.

It's a 2 year college course. Take that, or go work with another company.

You're not only risking your own life, but all those around you. Anyone can buy a mower and within a bit be doing a good job.

Tree work is the complete opposite. It involves climbing, bucket work, rigging work and a good knowledge AND experience of felling.

You know those guys that everyone slags off because they baught a sears mower and pickup truck and mow lawns for cheap while doing a crappy job? That's what you will be to the arborist trade.

If you really want to get into it, hire an experience arborist who you trust to price jobs and carry them out.

Or get into something like stump grinding.

soloscaperman
02-06-2012, 11:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvIVCPw-7hk&feature=related