PDA

View Full Version : Briggs pro series vs. Kohler command

bigred13
02-06-2012, 09:57 PM
just as the title states...Briggs pro series vs. Kohler command. For residential/PT use total of 4.5 acres once weekly. Let it fly!

dgfitz
02-07-2012, 03:09 AM
The first thing is what type of machine? For a homeowner, the Briggs Pro
can be your best bet, it is powerful , and gives great service, if it has the
oil cooler system with roller bearing pto and the electronic fuel management
system, which are options. However, the Kohler Command series are very
robust extreme duty engines and are well worth the extra cost, and I did notice
you said "residential/PT", and the Pt makes me think you may venture into
commercial somewhere.:rolleyes:

bigred13
02-07-2012, 08:53 AM
It would be for a zero-turn mower...I am compairing ferris is500z, scag freedom z, or cub cadet tank. Those are my only local dealers that I trust.

Lonny90
02-07-2012, 02:29 PM
By our Briggs rep's own admission, the Briggs Pro is just an intek with the big commercial air filter, Briggs "true" commercial engine is the Vanguard. The Command is still the more reliable choice. Hope this helps.:)

bigred13
02-07-2012, 04:38 PM
By our Briggs rep's own admission, the Briggs Pro is just an intek with the big commercial air filter, Briggs "true" commercial engine is the Vanguard. The Command is still the more reliable choice. Hope this helps.:)

That does help quite a bit.. Thank you!

Lonny90
02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Sure, glad to help, feel free to pm me if you have any questions about engines or lawnmowers, I work at a lawn dealership and get the chance to talk with many different people in the industry.

Landrus2
02-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Sure, glad to help, feel free to pm me if you have any questions about engines or lawnmowers, I work at a lawn dealership and get the chance to talk with many different people in the industry.

Kohler LH685 SPEC 0010
CAN YOU TELL ME IF THIS IS A GOOD ENGINE
:waving::waving:

bigred13
02-07-2012, 04:53 PM
PM sent Lonny! Thanks!

Lonny90
02-07-2012, 05:29 PM
Kohler LH685 SPEC 0010
CAN YOU TELL ME IF THIS IS A GOOD ENGINE
:waving::waving:

Yes, its an excellent engine! The LH models are horizontal shaft engines in the aegis family. Kohler's Aeigis engines are basically liquid cooled commands...They are rarely seen, I think scag uses a 31hp version and Cub Cadet uses it in their Volunteer UTV, very nice engines.

weeze
02-07-2012, 05:57 PM
what is the difference between a command and a command pro?

Ridin' Green
02-07-2012, 06:02 PM
what is the difference between a command and a command pro?

The air filters, high performance plugs on the pro, larger air and fuel filters, and the pro has an oil cooler on it.

weeze
02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
alright thanks. :) my dad has a 24hp kohler courage on his husqvarna rz5424 and it's been a great engine.

Ridin' Green
02-07-2012, 06:20 PM
alright thanks. :) my dad has a 24hp kohler courage on his husqvarna rz5424 and it's been a great engine.

The Courgage is a homeowner engine, while the Commands' are pro grade. I see that now there is even a Courage Pro model, but it is still listed as a homeowner engine. I Know their internals aren't as heavy duty as the Commands.

weeze
02-07-2012, 06:25 PM
yeah his is a residential ztr mower.

Ridin' Green
02-07-2012, 06:34 PM
If you look at almost every single machine at HD, Lowe's etc, as well as all the various entry level machines at local dealerships of lawn machines, they all use either B&S Intek's or Kohler Courage engines. It keeps costs down. If they are taken care of though, they will last pretty darn well.

weeze
02-07-2012, 10:41 PM
i'm thinking the next mower i get will have a kohler engine on it. as of right now that mower will be the 61" scag cheetah with 34hp kohler command pro. i like that you never have to adjust the valves and it has the oil filter on top of the engine for easy, no mess oil changes.

http://i39.tinypic.com/213gkcw.jpg

i've had no problems with the kawi engines or the kohler. i'm sure the vanguard engines are good as well. come to think of it i've never really had problems with any engines. i have an older residential mower with a briggs on it and it does burn a little oil but it's over 15 years old so what do you expect? i think alot of people just don't know how to take care of engines. they wait too long to change the oil or change the air filter or things like that. i dunno but you here about all these engine problems from time to time on here. i've never had any problems not even with car/truck engines. well i take that back. my first car was a used camaro. the oil and water got mixed together because of some crack in the block or something. i had only owned the car 6 months. from that day forward i've always driven toyotas, hondas, nissans, mitsubishis and i've never had an issue other than normal maintenance.

Ridin' Green
02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
i'm thinking the next mower i get will have a kohler engine on it. as of right now that mower will be the 61" scag cheetah with 34hp kohler command pro. i like that you never have to adjust the valves and it has the oil filter on top of the engine for easy, no mess oil changes.

http://i39.tinypic.com/213gkcw.jpg

i've had no problems with the kawi engines or the kohler. i'm sure the vanguard engines are good as well. come to think of it i've never really had problems with any engines. i have an older residential mower with a briggs on it and it does burn a little oil but it's over 15 years old so what do you expect? i think alot of people just don't know how to take care of engines. they wait too long to change the oil or change the air filter or things like that. i dunno but you here about all these engine problems from time to time on here. i've never had any problems not even with car/truck engines. well i take that back. my first car was a used camaro. the oil and water got mixed together because of some crack in the block or something. i had only owned the car 6 months. from that day forward i've always driven toyotas, hondas, nissans, mitsubishis and i've never had an issue other than normal maintenance.

Maybe you don't remember, but I had a heck of a time with my Kohler Command on my 720 right from the get go. It was burning/using oil pretty bad right from new, and smoked badly like so many do at start up. The factory/dealer swapped in a new engine right before winter set in, so I only have 5 hours or so on the new one right now. I hope that I don't have anymore troubles this year with it. We'll see I guess.

weeze
02-08-2012, 10:31 PM
really? i've always heard good things about kohler engines. i guess there's a bad egg no matter what brand every now and then. let me know how the new kohler does for you when you start using it again. my kawi used oil until i had about 75hrs on it. after that it stopped. it did smoke on startup a few times during those first hrs. takes a long time for those rings to get seated properly. :laugh:

Ridin' Green
02-08-2012, 11:36 PM
I started a thread here back last fall on it. I can't remember the title right now though, but it weas something about my new Kohler smoking at start up. I have read a ton of stuff on here about Kohlers doing that. Mine was getting worse not better smoking wise ( it was so bad that even the mosquitoes gave up and moved somewhere else LOL), and it used a quart of oil in about 37 hours, so before winter came I told my dealer, and they had it for a few weeks to figure it out. deere and Kohler all got involved in it, and eventually Deere replaced the engine with a new one at somewhere around 47 hours IIRC. That's when I had the Z960 w/60" mod for a loaner.

weeze
02-09-2012, 12:33 AM
oh ok. i do remember reading some thread about a kohler smoking but yet wasn't using any oil. i dunno. my dad's kohler never smokes on startup. :laugh: i guess if you get one that acts up then take it back to the dealer to get it replaced under warranty. :laugh:

Ridin' Green
02-09-2012, 01:00 AM
oh ok. i do remember reading some thread about a kohler smoking but yet wasn't using any oil. i dunno. my dad's kohler never smokes on startup. :laugh: i guess if you get one that acts up then take it back to the dealer to get it replaced under warranty. :laugh:

That's fine so long as it's still under warranty, but I hope I don't have to go through this again:realmad: