PDA

View Full Version : Spring Deposits

KSB
02-07-2012, 08:20 AM
Hi Guys: All my clean up and lawn mowing work is by the hour. With such a bad winter plowing this year, I was wondering if any of you guys require a deposit for spring and summer work in early spring.

v6rs97
02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
I would like to know as well. Wanted to see if anyone charges upfront for a dump fee but got no replies in my thread

orangemower
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
What did you do last year? I wouldn't ask my customers for money up front unless they are on a 12 month payment plan which in that case I'd be getting a monthly check. I don't think it's a good idea to ask them. It makes you look like you can't manage your money.

KSB
02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
I'd rather manage their money than mine. Most of my customers now string us 65 to 90 days on an invoice. Like to hear from some other guys please.

tras
02-09-2012, 08:45 PM
I never ask for upfront payment. I work off of cash or my line of credit.

I run a special in a large lake subdivision(1700 ish lots, 1000 or so are empty) and customers with empty lots pay for the year of mowing up front(rough mowing, i mow all the lots about once a month), a flat rate of $150 if paid by March 1st, $200 after that date. On a typical year I have about 80-95 lots, about $13k of start up cash for the year. I knock all this mowing out in a couple days each month. I don't make anything off doing this per se, but the money it generates in the slow time of the year is worth the hassle.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I do season prepays for app service. Only for those that have a full program with aeration (single app discounts = no no). 5%. Only about 1/10 of my customers do that, but it gives me nice start up income for the season.

xclusive
02-09-2012, 11:01 PM
I also give my clients an option to prepay the whole season upfront to save some money. I have a few that opt for this and it gives me extra start up money in the beginning of the season.