PDA

View Full Version : 36" Great Dane

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Greetings all,

I just replaced an engine on my 36" Great Dane Super Surfer". The motor is the right replacement from Kawasaki. However, on this motor there is only one wire for electric clutch. I can't figure it out! Everything works... If I jump it from the wire from motor, and another wire from harness... clutch engages. Just trying to get this thing going. Help would be greatly appreciated. If needed, I can send pics. Also, prior to replacing motor... all safeties worked.

Thanks,

J

piston slapper
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Need the engine model#'s.....the one you removed and the one you installed.
The clutch usually connects to the harness....not directly to the engine.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1
02-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Ditto on Slappers comments. There are no wires going from the engine to the clutch. It would be an unusual Kaw that didn't have two wires from the charging coil and a kill lead from the ignition coils. All three of those should go into the harness as you unhooked them. Most unusual on an engine that is a direct replacement. Best to check out the specs on both engines. I've replaced numerous engines on Danes w/o a hitch.

You will find the wiring diagram for the 36 Super on page 18 of the link which follows.

http://www.greatdanemowers.com/pdf/supersurfer36_partscat.pdf

pugs
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Ditto on Slappers comments. There are no wires going from the engine to the clutch. It would be an unusual Kaw that didn't have two wires from the charging coil and a kill lead from the ignition coils. All three of those should go into the harness as you unhooked them. Most unusual on an engine that is a direct replacement. Best to check out the specs on both engines. I've replaced numerous engines on Danes w/o a hitch.

You will find the wiring diagram for the 36 Super on page 18 of the link which follows.

http://www.greatdanemowers.com/pdf/supersurfer36_partscat.pdf

Not at all unusual. Any pull start Kawasaki V-twin with a coil that runs an electric clutch will only have 1 wire coming from the coil.

dutch1
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Pugs, I guess I'm out of the loop on this one. I serviced two lawncare guys for 6 years who both ran Dane stuff--5 Surfers(4 recoil start, 1 electric) and one Scamper recoil start. All had the 3 pole engine wiring harness(diagram part #27) as seen in the electrical section of the link.

I did a little looking at Kaw's website and I did see that some charging coils that apparently have a single lead--I've just never come across one.

piston slapper
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Dutch....the newer Kaws have the same type charge system as Kohler has had for years.
Basically a 2 wire stator and a 3 leg regulator or rectifier.
The regulator on the side of the cowl replaces that 6 pin regulator and capaciter.
You would only have 1 wire {pos] from the harness and the 2 stator wires connected to the regulator.
Posted via Mobile Device

dutch1
02-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Slapper, when you say newer, what's the time frame for the change. Like I said, I've been out of the loop for a while on the large engine equipped stuff so I was going off what I was most recently familiar with.

Thanks for the clean up.

piston slapper
02-08-2012, 04:24 PM
When they went to the FH models. The FB and FC engines had the older setup.
Like Pugs said...the v twin 13, 15, and 17 hp engines.
It sure would have been easier had the op contained more pertinent info.....
Posted via Mobile Device

Truly Beautiful Lawn Care
02-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Thanks to all that chimed in to assist. Sorry my info was not detailed. The engine that came off was: FH 500V BS20. The direct replacement engine is: FH541V.
On the new engine, there is a red charging wire and a black coil wire. I just can't figure out how to wire in red wire to harness for clutch.
Now, if I disconnect clutch harness, jumper red wire to clutch, and jumper wire from harness to clutch, the clutch will engage.
I did this yesterday, but I forgot to turn off clutch at clutch switch. If this works, I'll just go with this... perhaps install a fuse between wiring. I guess with this wiring, I'll lose the safety on the handle. I have a 61' GD dinosaur... gonna check out the wiring on that tomorrow also and check for anything similar.
Sorry for my "jacked up" details!

pugs
02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Pugs, I guess I'm out of the loop on this one. I serviced two lawncare guys for 6 years who both ran Dane stuff--5 Surfers(4 recoil start, 1 electric) and one Scamper recoil start. All had the 3 pole engine wiring harness(diagram part #27) as seen in the electrical section of the link.

I did a little looking at Kaw's website and I did see that some charging coils that apparently have a single lead--I've just never come across one.

I have never seen a pull start only kawasaki V-twin with a regulator/rectifier. Now the older singles used that 6 wire regulator/rectifier with a capacitor. But any V-twin that I have seen that is recoil start only either has no charging system or the single wire system for a clutch.

In that Greatdane schematic it shows 3 wires going to the engine...not sure why they need 3. And 2 of them are marked Engine charging. Generally you have 1 wire for that....

Well now that I look at it more, was Greatdane supplying their own Regulator system? They have a Capacitor there...hmmm. Do these engines have the regulator/rectifier mounted to the engine in a special hole with some fins on them to cool them?

pugs
02-09-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks to all that chimed in to assist. Sorry my info was not detailed. The engine that came off was: FH 500V BS20. The direct replacement engine is: FH541V.
On the new engine, there is a red charging wire and a black coil wire. I just can't figure out how to wire in red wire to harness for clutch.
Now, if I disconnect clutch harness, jumper red wire to clutch, and jumper wire from harness to clutch, the clutch will engage.
I did this yesterday, but I forgot to turn off clutch at clutch switch. If this works, I'll just go with this... perhaps install a fuse between wiring. I guess with this wiring, I'll lose the safety on the handle. I have a 61' GD dinosaur... gonna check out the wiring on that tomorrow also and check for anything similar.
Sorry for my "jacked up" details!

What is the spec on the FH541V? If its the clutch coil system, then you can ditch all that nonsense that Greatdane used for a regulator/capictor. Basically treat that red wire as your DC+. I would say 12Volt but its not actually 12...its more. Wire that in wherever your harness is supposed to be getting DC+ and all your safetys and switched should work.