PDA

View Full Version : ? for those who tape flyers to paper boxes

birddseedd
02-07-2012, 08:59 PM
So i get a call from 3 people so far (1000 or so flyers out so far); 2 of them want a quote. and one wanted to call and tell me that they will never call me for service because of the "inconvenience" of having a flyer taped to their paper box.

what do you do when you get a call like this? I am careful not to put the flyer on the mail box.

93Chevy
02-07-2012, 09:04 PM
I would quit taping fliers to people's mail boxes. Pay the postage fee and do post-card or flier mailer advertisements. Or find other ways to advertise.

ffemt1271
02-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Putting anything in,or on a mailbox is not legal. At least not here
Posted via Mobile Device

birddseedd
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
I would quit taping fliers to people's mail boxes. Pay the postage fee and do post-card or flier mailer advertisements. Or find other ways to advertise.

So i get a call from 3 people so far (1000 or so flyers out so far); 2 of them want a quote. and one wanted to call and tell me that they will never call me for service because of the "inconvenience" of having a flyer taped to their paper box.

what do you do when you get a call like this? I am careful not to put the flyer on the mail box.

see the red text....

birddseedd
02-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Putting anything in,or on a mailbox is not legal. At least not here
Posted via Mobile Device

see the red text....

93Chevy
02-07-2012, 09:21 PM
see the red text....

Meant to say paper box in my post...sorry I misspoke...

birddseedd
02-07-2012, 09:45 PM
Meant to say paper box in my post...sorry I misspoke...

shrugs.

anyway, not illegal that i know of around here. im in michigan

JMK Lawn Service
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
What do you guys usually do with your flyers? i have paid the postage and put them in mail boxes and most recently i go door to door and if they are not home i put the flyer in the door. None of that has really worked though, only if i talk to the home owner. Thanks in advance

birddseedd
02-07-2012, 10:39 PM
What do you guys usually do with your flyers? i have paid the postage and put them in mail boxes and most recently i go door to door and if they are not home i put the flyer in the door. None of that has really worked though, only if i talk to the home owner. Thanks in advance

from what i gather you get about a 1% -2% return on flyers. but if you can drive by and put them on the paperbox or the POLE of the mailbox (not the box itself) you can put out 10x-30x more flyers than walking.

orangemower
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
from what i gather you get about a 1% -2% return on flyers. but if you can drive by and put them on the paperbox or the POLE of the mailbox (not the box itself) you can put out 10x-30x more flyers than walking.

Some, no MOST people see that as littering as you have found out with the phone call.

Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Dosen't matter where you live, it's a Federal Law. Here is a paraphrase, but it reads; Nothing in or on the mailbox, in or on anything attached to the post (news paper box) and nothing on the post itself. That said, of the billions of flyers posted to mail boxes, I've never heard of someone being procecuted for it. Heck, I even took a chance and tore the tag off my matress.

smallstripesnc
02-07-2012, 11:01 PM
I have been putting out fliers and have been putting them on the door handle. I use a tiny piece of tape to get them to stay on the door handle.

I have put out quite a few with no calls at all. My fliers include the estimate on it.

weeze
02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
why don't you just put the flyers inside the paper box? that's not illegal and it's easier. i tried it last year. didn't really work for me. i think it's a waste of time personally. i'd rather spend my time and money on advertising that has a greater return. i did a newspaper ad for a month and got 5 customers from it. i think that works better.

Puddle of Oil
02-07-2012, 11:22 PM
Nothing says "I'm Professional" like taped up flyers on someones mailbox.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:15 AM
Some, no MOST people see that as littering as you have found out with the phone call.

noone can concider it littering unless it falls off to the ground.

flyers is the oldest form of advertising in this industry. it would seem so far that once people make it big they forget how it is starting off with no more than a mower and 2 strong arms.

im not looking to be criticized here. many many companies advertise with flyers including boy scouts of america which actually rubber band it directly to the mail box.

so can we stick to my original question please?

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:17 AM
Dosen't matter where you live, it's a Federal Law. Here is a paraphrase, but it reads; Nothing in or on the mailbox, in or on anything attached to the post (news paper box) and nothing on the post itself. That said, of the billions of flyers posted to mail boxes, I've never heard of someone being procecuted for it. Heck, I even took a chance and tore the tag off my matress.

I laminated my soc card. never saw an fbi agen at my door tho.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:21 AM
why don't you just put the flyers inside the paper box? that's not illegal and it's easier. i tried it last year. didn't really work for me. i think it's a waste of time personally. i'd rather spend my time and money on advertising that has a greater return. i did a newspaper ad for a month and got 5 customers from it. i think that works better.

ya. i know it works better. but starting with no extra capital makes it hard.

i am putting a good sized add in yellow pages inwhich i get charged 17 dollars per call i recieve - 30%. im terrified that it is going to kill my cashflow when i get a 1200 bill. sure i will gain several customers off of it, but its going to be pretty hard to keep it paid.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:35 AM

not paraphrasing,,,,

18 U.S.C. 1725 states...

"Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such
as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like
matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box
established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the
receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to
avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such
offense be fined under this title."

In fact it is NOT illegal to tape to the post, paper box or other areas.

and actually reading the letter of the law it is not illegal to tape directly to the box itself.

weeze
02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
i've put them in mailboxes before. all they will do is call you and say not to do it. if you keep on then you would probably get a fine. personally i think it's a dumb law. you pay postage for delivery of mail right. if you deliver the flyer yourself why should you have to pay postage? i dunno but laws are laws no matter how dumb they are. i guess they are afraid people will steal someone's mail or put a bomb in there or whatever. people are just nuts nowdays so they have to make all these laws that make life more difficult for normal people. :laugh:

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:50 AM
i've put them in mailboxes before. all they will do is call you and say not to do it. if you keep on then you would probably get a fine. personally i think it's a dumb law. you pay postage for delivery of mail right. if you deliver the flyer yourself why should you have to pay postage? i dunno but laws are laws no matter how dumb they are. i guess they are afraid people will steal someone's mail or put a bomb in there or whatever. people are just nuts nowdays so they have to make all these laws that make life more difficult for normal people. :laugh:

i actualy read a letter from one of the house reps i think it was. the first thing he says is that its to protect the income the fed govt makes off of postage.

he did not even try to hid it in fancy words.

"The Postal Service believes that this law, generally called the
“mailbox restriction,” is needed to protect postal revenue,". from here he added in a few things such as keeping good service and what not. it would be annoying if i could not get mail because someone put a package the size of my mailbox in it. but i myself would be on the side of letting people put things in the mailbox.

sure the law states steeling mail is illegal, but if someone wants to steel your identity is that going to stop them?

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:55 AM

I got a call last year. only put out a few flyers. i think they only called me in obligation because someone called the post office.

of course, when they did not deliver my mail because THEY could not find the address, going to the post office did no good as they made me pay for postage again...

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 01:00 AM
I have been putting out fliers and have been putting them on the door handle. I use a tiny piece of tape to get them to stay on the door handle.

I have put out quite a few with no calls at all. My fliers include the estimate on it.

with only one or two percent return it is hard to get any call backs. its a bigger percent door to door if you are good at selling. but it takes so much more time.

have you ever had anyone call you back yelling at you because you put it on their door?

PK Mows
02-08-2012, 02:04 AM
I know it's faster to hang them on the mailbox or post or stick the things in a newspaper box, but why? Why not just walk the things up to the door? I get doorhangers on my door and mailbox every few days during the Spring and always think that the guys who hang them on my mailbox are not putting the effort in that the guys who hang them on my door. And I imagine a lot of people think the same thing and wonder which guy would work harder on my yard. Gotta remember, you don't operate in a vacuum, there's 50 more guys out there chasing those same accounts. It may be that one little touch you do that the other guy doesn't that gets you the callback.

With that said, the Yellow Book has a door hanger service that you might check out. They hang out these big doorhangers with 18 or 20 detachable cards. I get them at the house from time to time and what I like about them is that people are going to look the things over more thoroughly than doorhangers with just one company on them. Whenever we get them, I look them over for a coupon for oil changes and such, my Wife looks them over for stuff she shops for and then we pass what's left on to other family members. That's some good exposure for a doorhanger.

BeachysLawn
02-08-2012, 02:21 AM
I've had people call me yelling and screaming for putting 'trash' on their door but who cares? Apologize and move on. Its not going to hurt your reputation, you just have to deal with a couple unpleasant calls now and then.

I'd rather somebody not hire me because they were upset that I put a door hanger on their door than not hire me because they don't know who I am.

Look's Great
02-08-2012, 02:22 AM
I advertise in Many ways:
1. Put business cards on store boards.
2. Place Large signs thru out the community, were it's ok to do so.
3. Place Small Yard signs were it ok to do so. ( Ask First )
4, news Paper ad.
5.Flyers ( I use post cards made by vista print ) in Paper Boxes. Get up early Sunday morning Just after the Paper boy has made his rounds, and tuck the cards in the Paper.

I have landed jobs with all types of advertising. However once you get the Account, do a great Professional job because word of mouth is the best advertising.

Lefet
02-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Wow, I can't believe it's 3 whole pages and not one "Better Door Hanger" interjection!!!

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I know it's faster to hang them on the mailbox or post or stick the things in a newspaper box, but why? Why not just walk the things up to the door? I get doorhangers on my door and mailbox every few days during the Spring and always think that the guys who hang them on my mailbox are not putting the effort in that the guys who hang them on my door. And I imagine a lot of people think the same thing and wonder which guy would work harder on my yard. Gotta remember, you don't operate in a vacuum, there's 50 more guys out there chasing those same accounts. It may be that one little touch you do that the other guy doesn't that gets you the callback.

With that said, the Yellow Book has a door hanger service that you might check out. They hang out these big doorhangers with 18 or 20 detachable cards. I get them at the house from time to time and what I like about them is that people are going to look the things over more thoroughly than doorhangers with just one company on them. Whenever we get them, I look them over for a coupon for oil changes and such, my Wife looks them over for stuff she shops for and then we pass what's left on to other family members. That's some good exposure for a doorhanger.

havnt seen one of those around here. il have to call them up and see about it.

as far as door to door vs on the mailbox, the statistics i did last year showed door to door to not be as effective. although the data i took was limited. i could have tried other times of the day and simppe done it more.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Wow, I can't believe it's 3 whole pages and not one "Better Door Hanger" interjection!!!

what do you mean?

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
I advertise in Many ways:
1. Put business cards on store boards.
2. Place Large signs thru out the community, were it's ok to do so.
3. Place Small Yard signs were it ok to do so. ( Ask First )
4, news Paper ad.
5.Flyers ( I use post cards made by vista print ) in Paper Boxes. Get up early Sunday morning Just after the Paper boy has made his rounds, and tuck the cards in the Paper.

I have landed jobs with all types of advertising. However once you get the Account, do a great Professional job because word of mouth is the best advertising.

i thought about standing at the highway exit and hand out business cards. what do you think?

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 09:38 AM
I've had people call me yelling and screaming for putting 'trash' on their door but who cares? Apologize and move on. Its not going to hurt your reputation, you just have to deal with a couple unpleasant calls now and then.

I'd rather somebody not hire me because they were upset that I put a door hanger on their door than not hire me because they don't know who I am.

initialy i tried to tell her that its not illegal. she started about me "talking back" to her. at that point i said have a good day and hung up.

later i called back and said she caught me off guard and then "appologized" (in quotes since i did nothing wrong). she had a better attitude on that call. the first she the first she was so worked up she was short on breath. i dont know if she will want any service or not. atm im desparate enough to take it.

KrayzKajun
02-08-2012, 10:18 AM

Lol. I was waiting for them to chime in.
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED
02-08-2012, 10:18 AM

I ignore that call as they are obviously someone you wouldn't want to work for anyway. I give you credit for the taping part as up until last year I was actually putting the flyers onto the paper box. The paper is a piece of crap here and most people advertise thru the internet or by other means (flyers) and the paper is losing advertising money. I actually put one in a upper managers paper box and I got a cease and desist e-mail. I get their point. I would say keep going as many people take those flyers and sit on them until the weather gets nice. I actually had someone sit on a flyer for 2 years and then give me a call. You never know what may happen, it may not be today but they might call. Good Luck.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 10:24 AM
I ignore that call as they are obviously someone you wouldn't want to work for anyway. I give you credit for the taping part as up until last year I was actually putting the flyers onto the paper box. The paper is a piece of crap here and most people advertise thru the internet or by other means (flyers) and the paper is losing advertising money. I actually put one in a upper managers paper box and I got a cease and desist e-mail. I get their point. I would say keep going as many people take those flyers and sit on them until the weather gets nice. I actually had someone sit on a flyer for 2 years and then give me a call. You never know what may happen, it may not be today but they might call. Good Luck.

lol. cease and decist. thats funny.

putting them in paperboxes has been mentioned a couple times. the reason i dont want to do this is because as you said, the peper is not popular as it used to be. still worth advertising in around here, but iv seen papers in paperboxes for 1 year plus. i dont want that to happen to my flyers.

jsslawncare
02-08-2012, 11:09 AM
When I first started I was complaining to a friend that was a LCO. He said stop handing out your business cards and flyer's and get a yellow page ad. I did and it worked. The only cards I give out go to my customer's that want to give them to someone. Every spring they call just like he said they would.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 11:17 AM
When I first started I was complaining to a friend that was a LCO. He said stop handing out your business cards and flyer's and get a yellow page ad. I did and it worked. The only cards I give out go to my customer's that want to give them to someone. Every spring they call just like he said they would.

sound advice for someone with 550 a month for the add.

im working up to that point. tho im if i do get alot of calls real quick with the pay per call plan im gonna be screwedbuntill i start gettint payments.

Lefet
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
what do you mean?

No one has jumped in your thread offering you their product.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 11:27 AM
No one has jumped in your thread offering you their product.

oh. hehe.

that is how i got roped into yellow pages off of craigs list

PROCUT1
02-08-2012, 11:39 AM
If 2 out of 100 called me for work. And 1 out of 100 called to complain. I would keep doing it. I would have just told her. Thank you for the call. Ill put you on our list, so that we dont stop by next time. Done

Lefet2
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
When your starting out you got to do everything you can to get your name out there. Flyers, lawn signs, newspaper, internet, word of mouth whatever it takes. When we started out most of our business came from flyers.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:08 PM
If 2 out of 100 called me for work. And 1 out of 100 called to complain. I would keep doing it. I would have just told her. Thank you for the call. Ill put you on our list, so that we dont stop by next time. Done

well. so far its 2 out of 1000. but that is within 24 hours. not all of them have been picked up so far.

ncnurseryman
02-08-2012, 12:28 PM
So, if the consensus is that flyers don't work then what has been the best advertising if you're just starting out, i.e. unknown in the field? I have a small nursery (check it out: www.thetreefrognursery.com ) in NC and we do some landscaping work but it's sporatic at best. So, I thought maybe adding basic lawn service would be a good complimentary aspect to the nursery, but no one knows us for that yet. I have tried all types of advertising and the website and craigslist seems to be the best for plants but even that is not the best. I always hear that word of mouth is the best but how do you get the word of mouth for a new service?? :dizzy:

Lefet
02-08-2012, 12:35 PM
So, if the consensus is that flyers don't work then what has been the best advertising if you're just starting out, i.e. unknown in the field? I have a small nursery (check it out: www.thetreefrognursery.com ) in NC and we do some landscaping work but it's sporatic at best. So, I thought maybe adding basic lawn service would be a good complimentary aspect to the nursery, but no one knows us for that yet. I have tried all types of advertising and the website and craigslist seems to be the best for plants but even that is not the best. I always hear that word of mouth is the best but how do you get the word of mouth for a new service?? :dizzy:

Time, and providing excellent service. Going the extra mile all the time.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:36 PM

its not that flyers dont work. flyers always have and always will work. the catch is you only get a 1-2 percent response from them. which for someone with advertising capital is not worth the time.

however the advantage,,,,

print24.com, full page add, quality paper and ink, printed all the way to the edge of the page, 120ish one time fee for 2500 pages 5000 flyers if half page flyers (i guess fedex will cut them in half 1.5 dollars per ream. wish i knew that before doing them all by hand)

yellow pages add, 600 per month....

takes much much much more work. but is almost free to do.

itl get you started, from that point youll have capital for more effective advertising.

Lefet
02-08-2012, 12:40 PM
PM
TheBetterDoorhanger
Sponsor Join Date: Jan 2010

You mentioned needing cards made I Just wanted to say if you are looking for a printer to make your business cards let us know. We work with a lot of lawn care business owners and understand the needs of small businesses since we are one too! We can add our one of a kind Stick-It product to the back of your cards and your customer can stick them right to the front of their fridge, computer, car dash or almost anywhere. It increases your ROI because your card can always be in view. Furthermore, If you add Band-It you can turn your business card into a cool door hanger killing two birds with one stone! Take a look at the video that explains it all & scroll down on this page for our incredible prices.
http://www.adeasprinting.com/?q=business-cards

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
Home of Band-It & Stick-It® Products
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

I didn't want you to feel left out. :cry:

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:42 PM
PM
TheBetterDoorhanger

You mentioned needing cards made I Just wanted to say if you are looking for a printer to make your business cards let us know. We work with a lot of lawn care business owners and understand the needs of small businesses since we are one too! We can add our one of a kind Stick-It product to the back of your cards and your customer can stick them right to the front of their fridge, computer, car dash or almost anywhere. It increases your ROI because your card can always be in view. Furthermore, If you add Band-It you can turn your business card into a cool door hanger killing two birds with one stone! Take a look at the video that explains it all & scroll down on this page for our incredible prices.

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

cannot do anythign till i get through the ones i have now from vista print. but send me some info for next time. ur cards sound interesting.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
ok i guess its all on the site :) ignore me.

orangemower
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM

Sounds like you answered the question yourself.

Do you sell plants and flowers to lawn and landscape companies? If so, you'll be stepping on their toes and may lose a lot of business because of it. I know I don't buy from anyone that is a competitor.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Sounds like you answered the question yourself.

Do you sell plants and flowers to lawn and landscape companies? If so, you'll be stepping on their toes and may lose a lot of business because of it. I know I don't buy from anyone that is a competitor.

starting a new business with a different name could fix this problem.

ncnurseryman
02-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Orangemower, yeah I've thought of that issue and it's a real concern. Most of the guys I sell to are in a different market than the area I would target for mowing and it would be a small side item at best, no more than 10 small accounts. Around here the nursery business has been bad for several years due to the economy and most nurseries (except the big guys) are doing anything to keep above water. In the nursury biz, high summer and winter are dead times hence very little income so something needs to go along with it. I have thought about having a seperate business name, it's just the hassel of record keeping for two business entities and paying double fees for incorporation to the state dept of revenue.

birddseedd
02-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Orangemower, yeah I've thought of that issue and it's a real concern. Most of the guys I sell to are in a different market than the area I would target for mowing and it would be a small side item at best, no more than 10 small accounts. Around here the nursery business has been bad for several years due to the economy and most nurseries (except the big guys) are doing anything to keep above water. In the nursury biz, high summer and winter are dead times hence very little income so something needs to go along with it. I have thought about having a seperate business name, it's just the hassel of record keeping for two business entities and paying double fees for incorporation to the state dept of revenue.

concider doing LLC.

have you concidered working with some of hte landscaping guys that you are famiilair with to do soem joint advertising? saying soemthign along the lines of if you need landscaping we support these guys.

would make you both parties stick out a little bit above someone advertising for themselves.

just a thought

TheBetterDoorhanger
02-13-2012, 10:16 PM
PM
TheBetterDoorhanger

Robin Christopherson
A'DEAS Printing
www.AdeasPrinting.com
robin@adeasprinting.com
(316) 269-2494 ext. 200
(866) 251-3181 fax
719 S. St. Francis
Wichita, KS 67211

LOL!
You posted this for me!?
YOU ROCK!!!

TheBetterDoorhanger
02-13-2012, 10:20 PM
cannot do anythign till i get through the ones i have now from vista print. but send me some info for next time. ur cards sound interesting.

Call me & I can send you a FREE sample packet so you can see them up close & personal! We've also got free design services :)

We'll get ya hooked up!
(316) 269-2494 ext. 204

-Robin

Brett's Lawn Care
02-16-2012, 01:14 AM

I work part time at a pizza place in the winter and we put out about 1000 door hangers per week. They sub out the work and if someone wants to make extra cash they do it. We had a wise ass decide to put out more even though he had been told not to, put the door hangers in mailboxes. The postmaster called the next day and said if it happened again, the company would be prosecuted as well as the individual. That's in Arkansas though so how it is where you are may be different but that's how it is here
Posted via Mobile Device

birddseedd
02-16-2012, 09:11 AM
I work part time at a pizza place in the winter and we put out about 1000 door hangers per week. They sub out the work and if someone wants to make extra cash they do it. We had a wise ass decide to put out more even though he had been told not to, put the door hangers in mailboxes. The postmaster called the next day and said if it happened again, the company would be prosecuted as well as the individual. That's in Arkansas though so how it is where you are may be different but that's how it is here
Posted via Mobile Device

its federal. could get in trouble. not sure how it would turn out if you specified in court that he acted against the companies instructions. hope he got fired

MOturkey
02-16-2012, 12:25 PM
I wonder if anyone has ever placed a nice, crisp, new dollar bill in their doorhanger, along with your advertising? It could say something like "I've enclosed a dollar as my way of saying thanks for taking the time to read my advertising, and hope that you will consider me for your lawncare needs".

Sure, it wouldn't be practical for wide-area coverage, but for like a hundred home subdivision, it might be feasible. If you picked up one new account from every 100, it would pay off. One thing for sure, they would at least look at it before throwing the ad in the trash.

Groomer
02-16-2012, 01:01 PM
I include flyer removal as part of my normal spring cleanup, I peel 'em off of doors, mailboxes,etc. pick 'em up when they blow down the street and when little Johnny prints off a stack with his computer. (Those are the truly funny ones, generally awesome graphics.)

birddseedd
02-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I include flyer removal as part of my normal spring cleanup, I peel 'em off of doors, mailboxes,etc. pick 'em up when they blow down the street and when little Johnny prints off a stack with his computer. (Those are the truly funny ones, generally awesome graphics.)

you mean you charge to get the flyer off their mailbox. must be an expensive service.

Richard Martin
02-16-2012, 03:22 PM
and actually reading the letter of the law it is not illegal to tape directly to the box itself.

Yes it is. You have to search for all of the regulations.

"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view()=c%5Bc_usps0916%5D&varset(source)=sourceType:embedded#Attaching

Groomer
02-16-2012, 03:22 PM
its a joke, bird. I remove them every spring when they reappear. Usually its the same flyer(s) from the same people year after year. I throw them away year after year.end of story.

birddseedd
02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Yes it is. You have to search for all of the regulations.

"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

http://faq.usps.com/eCustomer/iq/usps/request.do?create=kb:USPSFAQ&view()=c%5Bc_usps0916%5D&varset(source)=sourceType:embedded#Attaching

I would be skeptical of what is on usps.com, that is what the webdesigner wrote, not the official record of the law. my quote was from the actual written law itself.

that said. your point is still quite valid as the law is, in my opinion, too vast; you also have local ordinances that can make the law strict. again. i disagree with the way we do things to this effect. it is impossible to knwo the law in its entirety. its not feasible to take a month of classes so you can drive through a state.

either way. i gave out two quotes. then sent letters offering 2 free mows. hope i get the accounts. goodness knows im going to need them. need to get from 10k to 30k this year. its kinda hard to do all at once.

Patriot Services
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
Step up to some real marketing tactics.

The business card in a baggie with a rock flung into the driveway at 3am method.

The rolled up homemade flyer into a coke snorting tube secured with a rubberband and dropped in the driveway at 3am method.

My personal favorite, the homemade flyer stuck under my windshield wiper while at the grocery store method.:usflag:

birddseedd
02-16-2012, 03:34 PM
Step up to some real marketing tactics.

The business card in a baggie with a rock flung into the driveway at 3am method.

The rolled up homemade flyer into a coke snorting tube secured with a rubberband and dropped in the driveway at 3am method.

My personal favorite, the homemade flyer stuck under my windshield wiper while at the grocery store method.:usflag:

wonder if this works...

i did think about standing at a street corner handing out business cards or flyers.

i do have an add at yellowpages.com. been up for a week plus or minus. iv only got one call. from some health care company. wasnt even a human being. that was a quick 11 dollars lost...

Patriot Services
02-16-2012, 03:40 PM
wonder if this works...

i did think about standing at a street corner handing out business cards or flyers.

i do have an add at yellowpages.com. been up for a week plus or minus. iv only got one call. from some health care company. wasnt even a human being. that was a quick 11 dollars lost...

We used to have bums standing on the street corners then we outlawed them.:usflag:

birddseedd
02-16-2012, 03:42 PM
We used to have bums standing on the street corners then we outlawed them.:usflag:

its outlawed in most places, but they still do it. people in nyc do it and make a couple hundred k a year.

its called panhandeling.

now, if you are hading out business cards. the only law you woudl be breaking woudl be loitering.

Richard Martin
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I would be skeptical of what is on usps.com, that is what the webdesigner wrote, not the official record of the law. my quote was from the actual written law itself.

Your quote was US Code. Mine is USPS regulations. They are two different things. Both are enforcable. BTW, I've seen these debates on Lawnsite for 12 years now. In all of that time the USPS website has undergone a few revisions. Those same exact words keep appearing so I'm going to assume that the web programmers aren't making the same mistake over and over again.

birddseedd
02-16-2012, 04:22 PM
Your quote was US Code. Mine is USPS regulations. They are two different things. Both are enforcable. BTW, I've seen these debates on Lawnsite for 12 years now. In all of that time the USPS website has undergone a few revisions. Those same exact words keep appearing so I'm going to assume that the web programmers aren't making the same mistake over and over again.

ya. unfortunately you are right. our govt does give the ability for individual workers to make up "regulations" that are enforceable as laws. we are supposed to have a voting system in order to intact laws. but i guess the constitution would be more useful as a cigar wrapper than the governing statutes of our nation. (bender did that... turned out to be grand theft tobacco)

either way. nothing real would come from it. if a cop shows up i read the us code to him. being that cops in general are clueless as to the laws they enforce, at least around here. there wouldn't be much of a problem.

Richard Martin
02-16-2012, 04:27 PM
either way. nothing real would come from it. if a cop shows up i read the us code to him. being that cops in general are clueless as to the laws they enforce, at least around here. there wouldn't be much of a problem.

So you're just going to flagrantly violate Federal regulations. Nice! Do you intend to fail to pay taxes too?

TheBetterDoorhanger
02-16-2012, 08:57 PM

Um (cough) ;)