PDA

View Full Version : My numbers per hour. Look about right?

BBC.lawn.services
02-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Here's my numbers. I threw my numbers out ealier today and was notificied that I was charging quite low so I went over all my expense again and sure enough there was quite a bit that I missed so... I figured why not check my new numbers with you guys. So here they are...

(by the hour)
Equipment replacement costs -
ZTR - $5 ($10,000 - 2,000 hrs)
Blower - $1 ($500 - 500 hrs)
Weed Eater - $.75 ($350 - 500 hrs)
Push Mower - $1 ($500 - 500 hrs.)
T&T costs (truck and trailer)
Truck - $1 (business pays 1/4 of truck cost over 5 yrs.) ($10,000 used - 5 yrs.)
Trailer - $1 for trailer and accessories ($1,000 used trailer, $500 for racks/tires etc.)
Labor
$15 (est. $3 to the government for workers comp. etc.)
Stuff
Safety gear/uniforms/drinks = $1
blades, trimmer line etc. - $.75
Insurance
insurance - $3 (liability and commercial truck insurance est. $2,000)
Fuel
truck gas - varies depending on distance to drive.
ZTR gas - $4.5 (est. fuel cost of $3.50)
Other (WE, Blower, Push) - $3.50
Company profit (pretty much all going to be re-invested for now)
between 10%-20% depending on job size (bigger the amount, the less %)

My numbers per hour are a little higher across the board because I don't work a full time schedule.

Hope you enjoy a detailed post once in awhile. I put an after supper worth of thought to it. I enjoy crunching numbers like this. Maybe enjoy isn't the right word... but you probably get what I'm saying.

- Levi B.
BBC Lawn Services

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
02-07-2012, 10:50 PM
We charge $70.00 per hour for residential and $95.00 for commercial.

BBC.lawn.services
02-07-2012, 11:04 PM
How many guys per crew?

mikeslawnlandscapeohio
02-07-2012, 11:07 PM
2 crew members

CircleC
02-07-2012, 11:45 PM
What about:
Cell phone
Tire replacement
Vehicle/equipment repairs
Office supplies
Office space
Office bills(internet ect)
Tax liability
Clothing replacement
Boot replacement
Mortage/rent
Truck payments(I don't get the 1/4 over 5 yrs). If its $500 per mont u gotta pay $500.
Storage
Accountant
Advertising
Food
Power
Gas(home gas)
Insurance renters/mortgage/vehicle
Health insurance
Life insurance
Winter Savings
Credit Card Payments

I could go on....

Your business has to pay all the bills...u gotta include everything you spend money on EVERYTHING! If you don't charge for it you can't pay for it. Just like if you have a job making $15 per hour, u gotta live within the $15 per hour means.

That's how I learned how to figure cost per hour. If you are paying 8k in bills per month. Divide that by 40 hours a week(even though we don't work 40). That's what you need to make per hour.

Gotta figure everything on 40 hour work weeks.

If I think of something else I will post again...
Posted via Mobile Device

BBC.lawn.services
02-08-2012, 12:27 AM
Most of those are non-extant for me... call it my competitive advantage. ;)

I'm fifteen and my dad is an engineer so I don't have to pay anything for food/bills etc. This is pretty much just a part-time gig for me in the summer. Pays much better than most jobs I could get right now. Flexible hours. Great business experience. As well as the ability to list in on resume'.

As far as truck payments. The truck will most likely be my personal vehicle as well so... if the business covers the insurance as well as 1/4 the total cost. (and help with repair) Pretty good deals for both sides. :laugh:

Tire replacement is a good one. Thanks for the list man!

Clothing replacement is covered in the uniform cost.

"Storage"
Accountant" covered by me.

Advertising was a totally success this year. Don't really need to do any more. Not going to revel my secret but man, did it work great!

mikeslawnlandscapeohio - man! Gett'er done than! You probably have quite a bit more expense to pay than me but still sounds like your taking home the bacon for this industry!

CircleC
02-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Sorry kid.....but kids like you put guys like me outta business. Go hang out at the mall and chase girls...worry about making money later in life. Go to college it gives you options...ask your dad.

Good luck kid...
Posted via Mobile Device

MarkintheGarden
02-08-2012, 03:40 AM
Sorry kid.....but kids like you put guys like me outta business. Go hang out at the mall and chase girls...worry about making money later in life. Go to college it gives you options...ask your dad.

Good luck kid...
Posted via Mobile Device

If kids can put you out of business, how can you even hope to compete against pros? Sure the kids will work cheap, for about one or two cuts. Kids these days do not do good work and are unreliable. Sure, there are exceptions and I expect some of them will be pointing that out in there posts.

But, I do agree; Go to college!

OUTLANDER
02-08-2012, 04:03 AM
come on guys!!! how about some words of encouragement here, stop sounding so threatened. I would say this guy has some really good ambition, and plans for his future. How many guys this young do you even know with a business mind like this, or even that strive for success anymore. Keep it up man, just dont get going in the wrong direction, and start becoming a gold digger, because you let your overhead get too big (like alot of folks out there, or even on here..hahahahaha).....keep in mind, contrary to what some might tell you on here. There are 2 bigtime ways of failing in this business...under doing it, and over doing it (and it is much easier to under do it for awhile. Thats what these guys are threatened by, because they probably already have to over do it)

OUTLANDER
02-08-2012, 04:10 AM
let me add to that, just saying....i stay right in the middle with how i do it (it works great that way for me):dancing:......but by all means im learning as i go, and reaping what others fail to accomplish, so i guess...keep it up hahahahahaahaha:drinkup:.....(add up your costs - ONLY YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE - keep in mind your customers costs also)<-----and you will be fine

BBC.lawn.services
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
College - I'm defiantly going to pursue some type of further education, presumably college, in this day in age it's vital to get some farther education (college or vocational) if your wanting to get a "good" paying job. You can get a job/form a business but its harder because you lack significant pedigree and college is a basis on which a lot of employers judge now a days.

I'm thinking about pursuing some type of degree in Engineering like my Dad (chemical engineer) What ever I pursue after college, this type of degree will be significant help even if I don't pursue a job directly in that field. (I'm considering doing Christian mission work. Will see.)

You guys are doing a great thing by encouraging the young guys on here to pursue farther education. Not that it's the one stop shop for getting on in life but this industry is a hard way to live. You're direct ally responsible for the sucess/failure. It's a pretty risky industry. If you bottom out. A degree to fall back on it a good safety net.

as far as having fun with the friends... I still have plenty of friends. :laugh:

Getting back to a more directly applicable subject. (kinda)

The stigma for teenagers these days is lazy, irresponsible, worried very much about the here and now, just let them run and have there fun etc.

No way do I want to live like that! I'm all for using my time now for things that I won't be able to do in the future in reason but I want to prepare myself to be a man of the Bible. Hardworking, purpose driven, kind, respectable, humble, courageous. What better way to prepare some of those qualities than running a business in this industry. 105 isn't fun in the middle of July but do I quit? Will see, I suppose!

Outlander - That is the advice of the century for our industry. It's so tempting to get equipment beyond what you need...

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!

- Levi B.
BBC Lawn Services

ralph02813
02-08-2012, 12:18 PM
Most of those are non-extant for me... call it my competitive advantage. ;)

I'm fifteen and my dad is an engineer so I don't have to pay anything for food/bills etc. This is pretty much just a part-time gig for me in the summer. Pays much better than most jobs I could get right now. Flexible hours. Great business experience. As well as the ability to list in on resume'.

As far as truck payments. The truck will most likely be my personal vehicle as well so... if the business covers the insurance as well as 1/4 the total cost. (and help with repair) Pretty good deals for both sides. :laugh:

Tire replacement is a good one. Thanks for the list man!

Clothing replacement is covered in the uniform cost.

"Storage"
Accountant" covered by me.

Advertising was a totally success this year. Don't really need to do any more. Not going to revel my secret but man, did it work great!

mikeslawnlandscapeohio - man! Gett'er done than! You probably have quite a bit more expense to pay than me but still sounds like your taking home the bacon for this industry!

Two things either your business is a business and it pay all expenses or it is a hobbie, either way you are not making a profit no matter how you figure UNLESS you are going to remain 15 for ever and your dad will live forever to help you pay your way!!
If you want to do the right thing, put the money aside for real cost of operating your business - if you decide to go to school the money will be there, if you decide not to but want to buy a house, the money will be there.