PDA

View Full Version : Toro 21" trans/tires

mmacsek
02-08-2012, 08:57 AM
I have a Toro 21" 2 cycle that has slop in the rear wheels,they wobble. I pulled the rear tires,clips,etc. but can't get the adlusters of. The slop is behind the adjusters. The bearings in the adjusters need replacing but not seized. According to the parts diagram there is a needle bearing behind the adjuster and I think this is the problem. How do I get this off or do I have to replace the whole trans? Thanks Matt

dutch1
02-08-2012, 10:46 AM
Macsek, what's the model/SN?

Does your model have the plastic clutch and rubber friction washer? If so there should be a second e-clip that retains the pivot arm on the transmission shaft.

mmacsek
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
The model # is 22040 and the serial # is 220006835. I did take the e clips off in front of the drive gear and behind. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. Thanks Matt

dutch1
02-08-2012, 01:21 PM
That helps as there were both homeowners and commercials with Suzuki's. If there is nothing on the drive shaft outside the pivot arm(both e-clips and associated parts removed) and the pivot arm does not want to move, my guess is the the inner race of the bearing, 16:3, is frozen(corroded) to the shaft. With nothing there, I'd suggest giving the shaft and pivot arm a shot of PB Blaster, Kroil, etc, then let it set a while. If you can get an air hammer on the pivot arm, a few sharp knocks should break it loose--a regular hammer will do the job as well if you can avoid damaging the cast aluminum deck. I wouldn't think it would take too much to break such a small bearing loose. That's about all I can think of at the time.

After removal you should be able to determine any parts needed. If the drive shaft is not cut up/damaged the whole transmission assembly should be good to go. Have you been greasing the pivot arms on a regular basis?

mmacsek
02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
I will try the PB Blaster and see what happens. The bearing,16:3, turns so I'm hoping there is rust. I do grease regularly but these are original parts. I purchased in 2004 and has been very rugged. I will post back when I get to th e next step. Thanks Matt