PDA

View Full Version : Weather data

George777
11-27-2002, 09:32 PM
I was wondering if any of you collect data on different weather conditions to help you predict what problems may be coming up. I have not been able to find how to go about doing this. I have been thinking about putting together a database that over a period of time will allow me to find certain key conditions for problems.

Basic data:
Temp high/low
Dew point
Humidity
Soil Temp
Clear/cloudy
Precip.
Wind speed

Can someone explain if Iím heading in the right direction with this. A few months ago I noticed Pythium root rot in St. Aug. I would like to be able to look at some data and predict what disease might occur. I would think that certain weather trends would help in this area. Any input on this topic would be great.

KLR
12-01-2002, 04:08 PM
we do keep data on weather conditions. but not for the reason you are asking about.
we log in weather conditions that were present at time of an application. this helps us when we receive service calls from customer. weather conditions can help us determin why we had failure in getting results. also we keep this info for liability issues (none that we've ever had to deal with, but we're prepared in case)

i think your question is how to be proactive or have preventative measures?
any book or chart on disease and/or weeds will tell you the weather conditions favorable for these problems. if you deal with Lesco they have charts that will help you, or any vendor you deal with will most likely have booklets or charts with this info.

i guess what i'm saying is the agronomist have already done the work on weather data. all you need to do is watch what the weather is doing, look at a chart to see what potential problem may come along in that weather patern.