PDA

View Full Version : New Hp ratings for Kawasaki engines

Lonny90
02-08-2012, 11:13 AM
This might be old news to most of ya'll but it's useful information. http://www.kawasaki-criticalpower.com/

This new power standard is showing a 4 hp difference, ie an engine rated 31hp last year is only called a 27hp this year. We will need to keep this in mind when cross shopping kawasaki with kohler or briggs.

Ridin' Green
02-08-2012, 03:37 PM
Nothing is lower now. It just shows the engines are being rated more in line with what they have been turning out all along, so if you were happy with say, the 29 HP engine, it may now be rated at 27 or so, but it still has the same exact power that you got while it was rated at 29, and will still do the same job that made you like it in the first place. None of this suprises me. When I was a kid a 12 HP cast iron Kohler could do about the same work that it now takes a 20 HP engine to do.:rolleyes:

I thought it was interesting that the 37 HP engine turns up less peak torque than the 35 HP engine does.

Lonny90
02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
That is true, there is no actual difference in the engine, all that changed is the testing procedure and the label. Last year's 31 is relabeled as 27 but the model number remains the same, last year's 29 is called 25.5.
I think it has to do with rating with air filter and muffler instead of rating without as Kohler is doing.

Ridin' Green
02-08-2012, 03:51 PM
Yea, I agree. I dunno what all the companies do, but whatever it is right now, it is designed to make their product look like it's more than it is. It really is a bunch of BS that they do that crap. It's the same thing the auto industry did for years- no honesty in advertising.

I used to really worry over stuff like the HP ratings of mowers. Now, as long as it does the job without bogging down, I don't care what the ratings are, because you know that eventually they're gonna change the way they rate them again, and no matter what, it still won't be considered "the real" HP rating by someone somewhere.:dizzy::hammerhead:

weeze
02-08-2012, 11:17 PM
i don't understand why they don't simplify things. for ztrs just make 20hp, 25hp, 30hp, and 35hp from every engine company. do we really need 20hp,22hp,24hp, 25hp,26hp,27hp,29hp,31hp,32hp,34hp,35hp,and 37hp engines? 1-2hp doesn't really do anything to change the performance of a mower.

Ridin' Green
02-09-2012, 12:40 AM
i don't understand why they don't simplify things. for ztrs just make 20hp, 25hp, 30hp, and 35hp from every engine company. do we really need 20hp,22hp,24hp, 25hp,26hp,27hp,29hp,31hp,32hp,34hp,35hp,and 37hp engines? 1-2hp doesn't really do anything to change the performance of a mower.

Not to mention all the variations of those engines, ie; Carbed, DFI, EFI, LC, AC etc., etc.:dizzy:

weeze
02-09-2012, 01:29 AM
Not to mention all the variations of those engines, ie; Carbed, DFI, EFI, LC, AC etc., etc.:dizzy:

:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: i know right. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Ridin' Green
02-09-2012, 01:53 AM
:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy: i know right. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

What's next? Flex fuel/E85? Hybrid? Electric? Oh the insanity!!!:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

pugs
02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
That is true, there is no actual difference in the engine, all that changed is the testing procedure and the label. Last year's 31 is relabeled as 27 but the model number remains the same, last year's 29 is called 25.5.
I think it has to do with rating with air filter and muffler instead of rating without as Kohler is doing.

The old rating any random engine had to be within 20% of the engine that was tested. The new rating means that they have to be within 5 or 3% of the test engine. So in the past they could inflate the numbers by 15-20% and be ok since according to that standard of testing the engine just had to be within 20% of the number they put on the side.

I wish they had made the change when they introduced all the FR/FS/FX engines to avoid this confusion.