PDA

View Full Version : Who offers demo or introduction cuts for potential mowing clients...?

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Frankly it doesnít make sense [to me] that a homeowners would hire someone to mow their lawn and commit to it with out seeing their work first hand. Would you buy a car with out a test drive first?

Then again maybe most donít believe there is much difference and a mowed lawn is just a mowed lawn. And edging is just edging scalped to the crowns vs. nice vertical crisp edges? :hammerhead:

For myself it has repeatedly come to my attention from my clients and their neighbors that my cut quality and attention to detail is outstanding and matched by very few in the area. Especially the vertical clean cut vertical edges that donít turn brown in the summer.

Maybe Iím over thinking this again and people donít want bother with a demo cut...just cut the grass already.

Your Input?

:waving:

Lefet
02-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Demo? No.
We do offer a free cut with a spring clean up though. But I'm not cutting anything for free.

I can see it now, they've waited until it's way past time, grass is 6' high and I'm going to offer a demo?

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Sorry I left out part of the equation. :hammerhead:

Iím not talking a free cut. I was thinking a reduced price cut lower than say a normal going rate and/or a no commitment option so potential clients can see your work etc. Or even a full quote cut.

If a demo cut or intro cut is full price I would think the potential client would be more resistant to even bothering with the concept.

Demo? No.
We do offer a free cut with a spring clean up though. But I'm not cutting anything for free.

I can see it now, they've waited until it's way past time, grass is 6' high and I'm going to offer a demo?

Lefet
02-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Maybe it just doesn't apply to us around here. Usually, when we pick someone up, there is a lot of work that needs to be done to "bring it up to our standards". If we pick them up in the middle of the season, say they were unhappy with their present co., we will try to honor the price they were paying provided it's not money losing low.

Maybe I'm just not the one to answer your question.

Ticolawnllc
02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
Maybe it just doesn't apply to us around here. Usually, when we pick someone up, there is a lot of work that needs to be done to "bring it up to our standards". If we pick them up in the middle of the season, say they were unhappy with their present co., we will try to honor the price they were paying provided it's not money losing low.

Maybe I'm just not the one to answer your question.

I second the motion. Price and go.

Any one asking for a demo is wasting my time and I need to end the conversation right then and there. Then I go to the next PAYING customer.

Let me be clear. Even at a reduced price some one aint getting paid. I pay my guys, I pay my fule. So in this case who is getting screwed? Me the owner. I don't work for free.

jsslawncare
02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
I did this one time for a friend's friend to try to get her yard. It took both of us about 20 min to do her yard. I was against the whole idea from the beginning. He was suppose to talk to her about it later at church. Two weeks later I ask him about it and he said "oh I forgot to talk to her about it". I DO NOTHING FOR FREE.
Her grand kids got the job. I know they were anyway.

PROCUT1
02-08-2012, 04:43 PM
No. This isnt a stain remover or a carpet cleaner. Its mowing the lawn.

People should know what a mowed lawn looks like and dont need free samples.

If the customer isnt happy. Theyre going to tell you that before they pay you. Thats good enough.

You want a free sample? Ill make one stripe. Like the grocery stores do. Stick a piece of cheese on a toothpick. They dont hand out whole blocks of cheese.

Ridin' Green
02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I think a demo cut for full price, and paid in full at the time of the cut is great thing to offer. There's really nothing to lose, and it's sorta like free advertising, plus it gives them a sense of security knowing that they won't be locked into anything. You may just pick up that customer because of that, and the fact that they get the chance to see that you really do know what you're doing, and doing it right at that. If they pass, at least you made your money for that one time cut, so you're out nothing.

If you offer it for a reduced price, they'll most likely question why you can't do it for that price all the time. They aren't gonna care about your bottom line, just the fact that you were able to do it for a reduced price, and expect you to all the time.:nono:

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I think a demo cut for full price, and paid in full at the time of the cut is great thing to offer. There's really nothing to lose, and it's sorta like free advertising, plus it gives them a sense of security knowing that they won't be locked into anything. You may just pick up that customer because of that, and the fact that they get the chance to see that you really do know what you're doing, and doing it right at that. If they pass, at least you made your money for that one time cut, so you're out nothing.

If you offer it for a reduced price, they'll most likely question why you can't do it for that price all the time. They aren't gonna care about your bottom line, just the fact that you were able to do it for a reduced price, and expect you to all the time.:nono:

Yes Iíd have to say this is the best approach. :waving:

SouthSide Cutter
02-08-2012, 05:18 PM
Get most of mine by reference. But on any new one that I want I cut it free the first time. That gives me a good idea what it will cost, and should be alot faster the next time which will help me. If they like the service and price ok and if they dont ok. Works great for me. And havent lost one yet!!!!

PROCUT1
02-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Your charging customers for a final product. You cut the lawn they pay you.

A powerwasher is not going to clean your house for the first time for free.
A maid wont either.

First re roofing free?
First free concrete sidewalk?
First snowplowing free?
First carpet cleaning free?
First carwash free?
First drycleaning free?
First brake pads free?
First trash removal free?

If a customer needs a free sample of their lawn mowing. You have bigger problems down the road.

Its not rocket science people. Its grass cutting.

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 05:30 PM
No. This isnt a stain remover or a carpet cleaner. Its mowing the lawn.

People should know what a mowed lawn looks like and dont need free samples.
If the customer isnt happy. Theyre going to tell you that before they pay you. Thats good enough.

You want a free sample? Ill make one stripe. Like the grocery stores do. Stick a piece of cheese on a toothpick. They dont hand out whole blocks of cheese.

My experience is seeing is believing, the difference I can deliver, on their own lawn. There really is a cut quality difference running my primary mowers and I run fresh sharp blades daily. Yes the cut even looks better than the Walker mowed lawns next to my accounts. Maybe every Walker mowed lawn next to mine is running dull blades....? My clients and their neighbors comment on it all the time. However many of the neighbors will always go for the lower priced service.

I did do a handful of lower priced intro cuts [price on flyer] a few years back....and sure enough. ďYeah that cut looks great....but my grandson is going to do it after allĒ. And a few other people looking for a lower cost one time cut.

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Your charging customers for a final product. You cut the lawn they pay you.

A powerwasher is not going to clean your house for the first time for free.
A maid wont either.

First re roofing free?
First free concrete sidewalk?
First snowplowing free?
First carpet cleaning free?
First carwash free?
First drycleaning free?
First brake pads free?
First trash removal free?

If a customer needs a free sample of their lawn mowing. You have bigger problems down the road.

Its not rocket science people. Its grass cutting.
Okay I think I cleared up the fact earlier that I had zero plans on a free 1st cuts. *trucewhiteflag*

I had been considering offering a free fall aeration the first year like I had in the past. The caveat on this is it required 17 cuts so it eliminated any bi-weekly nonsense. Every client I gained off that promo never expected another free aeration the following year.

willowick
02-08-2012, 06:25 PM
A better angle is probably to offer your current customers a referral spiff of a 1x 10% off their bill for each signed new customer they refer to you.

siclmn
02-08-2012, 06:48 PM
I have never used the word "free" in any of my sales pitches. I usually just say that I have been doing this for over 30 years and I know what I am doing. If someone is acting leary of what I am saying I will tell them that if they just hate my work we can talk about it. Professionals don't use the word free.

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 06:53 PM
A better angle is probably to offer your current customers a referral spiff of a 1x 10% off their bill for each signed new customer they refer to you.

I like that approach but I'm looking for absolute market density and I want to limit drive time.

If war with Iran.breaks out crude oil will.shoot well past $150 a barrel along with ballistic gas prices.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
02-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I have never used the word "free" in any of my sales pitches. I usually just say that I have been doing this for over 30 years and I know what I am doing. If someone is acting leary of what I am saying I will tell them that if they just hate my work we can talk about it. Professionals don't use the word free.

So how does complimentary fall aeration sound instead? *** does require min 17 mowings.
Posted via Mobile Device

sjessen
02-08-2012, 09:29 PM
So how does complimentary fall aeration sound instead? *** does require min 17 mowings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Free aeration after the 17 cuts have been paid for.

weeze
02-08-2012, 10:08 PM
no demos, no free cuts, no reduced cuts.

i never use contracts anyways. they hire me and i cut it and they pay me. if they don't like it they can fire me and hire someone else. noone has ever fired me. i've even had a customer that said i paid my last guy $110. it was in the ballpark so i said ok i'll cut it for that the first time and see how it goes and how long it takes, etc. when i got done i said a more appropriate price would be $125 but you can pay me the $110 for this first cut and it will be ok. she paid me the $125 anyways.

DuallyVette
02-08-2012, 10:41 PM
The 1st time we service any lawn...it actually takes longer than it will on subsequence visits, so free or discounts...no

Flex-Deck
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM

I have only had one experience with this concept. It was a second property of a present customer that wanted JD equipment on the property, and it was located 32 miles away. It was an 11 acre job, which I told them they surely could find someone closer that would be less expensive, as I would have to charge extra for the windshield time. I did not take them seriously and did not bid it, then the next year they absolutely insisted on a bid, so I gave them a maximum quote and said I would not charge any more than that quote, but needed to mow it once to nail down driving time and experience how complex the job was as to obstacles (lots of equipment on board that has to be moved by them into areas as we mow them). It turned out that the final bid was $15 less than the maximum quote I had given them, and we are both very happy with the relationship we have today. They had been trying to inhouse mow, and it was far from acceptable.