PDA

View Full Version : switch sthil out for redmax??????

cookslandscaping18
02-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I am thinking about switching all our handhelds over to redmax this year after having trouble with fs110 last year and dealer problems. Are redmax trimmers have as much power as the 110 and do they hold up well???? The 110 have great power they just seem to be hard to keep them on the crew andnot the shop.

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING
02-08-2012, 09:54 PM
We have had problems with red max. We have always been die hard red max hand held blower users but this past fall we were going through them like candy. Not running well, not running at all, blew up 2 of them. Dealer of course kept blaming the gas! Good luck with your decision.
Posted via Mobile Device

grasscutter24
02-08-2012, 09:57 PM
I liked Redmax in general as most of my handhelds are Redmax, but I had a lot of problems with the new trimmers that I purchased this past season. I will be trying Kawasaki next. Good luck

The-Other-Side
02-08-2012, 10:06 PM
I went with all redmax handhelds 2 years ago. The hedge trimmers have been great as well as the edgers. The line trimmers though run for a few months and then crap out. Every time they go in the shop I have to listen to the "its the fuel" explanation. For the past 6 months or so I have left the redmax line trimmers at home and went back to the old trusty stihls.

We also bought a couple of redmax blowers that seem to be junk as well. I have 2 old 8000's and they run better then the new ones.

Im not sure what to try next!

weeze
02-08-2012, 10:12 PM
try husqvarna instead of redmax. sortof the same company but the husqvarna trimmers last forever almost.

The-Other-Side
02-08-2012, 10:14 PM
If im not mistaken, husqvarna bought redmax last year. I wonder if that will make their equipment better or worse

weeze
02-08-2012, 10:21 PM
it should make redmax better i would think. :laugh:

unkownfl
02-08-2012, 10:32 PM
I just dumped stihl for Husqvarna. I have a 326 edger and 327 weedeater I love them way better very smooth. The guard on the edger is way nicer than the stihl.

DuallyVette
02-08-2012, 10:42 PM
I'm happy with my RedMax trimmers & blowers

weeze
02-08-2012, 10:45 PM
stihl is good for blowers. trimmers and such i've always preferred husqvarna or the honda i have now is good too.

Ridin' Green
02-09-2012, 01:14 AM
I run both Stihl and Husky for lawn care, and Jonsered for chainsaws. I just won a free Husky trimmer so I have no experience with it yet, but if it works anywhere near like my Husky BP I'll be a happy camper. I love my Stihl stuff. My old Stihl SH85 handheld blower is about 10 years old and has been used far more than it was ever designed for, but it just keeps right on rolling along, and on the original plug and filters! It ain't broke, so I ain't fixin' it.:) My old Stihl 032 chainsaw was over 20 years old when I traded it in, and it was still working great too. Lot of guys on here knock Stihl, but they make some pretty good stuff.

Husky bought Red Max back in 2007, not last year. However, Red Max makes most of Husky's handhelds for them, but to Husky's design specs. the BP's are very similar, as are most of the other handhelds, but there are some differences if you go through both catalogs.

Cronkshorticulture
02-11-2012, 05:58 PM
FS 90 R Stihl trimmers are the best we have ever used, not as loud as a usual 2 stroke. Gear boxes are much heavier built than huskies.

Landrus2
02-11-2012, 06:52 PM
All we use is redmax but ones last longer than others :waving:

rreyn1812
02-11-2012, 07:58 PM
I have a Stihl FS90 & FS110 as well as a new KM110 and a Kawasaki KMS27A Multi-tool w/trimmer attachment.

The Kawasaki is light and powerful and is a real pain to start when cold (hard to start and keep running until warm). Works great when it's warm.

The FS110 has caused me some problems, but nothing real bad, and the FS90 is probably the best all around trimmer I've seen/used. I really like starting the Stihls when it's cold, cause they just start right up. I've had the FS90 for about 5 years and the 110 for about 4 yrs.

My Stihl technician is the best I've seen, and no one else in my area compares, so I don't even consider going with anything else. Dealer support is my main driver for handheld selection.

Mike Blevins
02-11-2012, 08:13 PM
I still have my original 2600 Redmax trimmer I started with 7 years ago. Still runs great. It's not red any more its pink from the sun fading it. Also run two more trimmers,handheld blower,8000 backpack blower,and a set of the HTZ Redmax hedge clippers. I know people that have bought Redmax equipment and have had it really cold natured. Mine have always ran very well. But I don't think they make em like they used to either.

ricky86
02-11-2012, 08:31 PM
For blowers and linetrimmers, the debate can go on forever (and does).
Stihl's HS81/HS86 hedgetrimmer are by far the best.

K&L Landscaping
02-11-2012, 08:38 PM
I switched from all Redmax to all STIHL last year and have been very happy. Seems like the STIHL's have been more durable and start better. However, the BR600 Magnums seem to be a bit underpowered compared to my RedMax EBZ8001 blowers.

goodgreen
02-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Bought a RedMax trimmer after using Stihl for several years. But I had trouble with it conking out on me within the first year of use. I felt Stihl had dropped in quality a bit. Any other really good trimmer experience?

weeze
02-12-2012, 12:54 AM
geez you guys have bad luck. my honda trimmer is going on 7 years and still runs perfectly.

smallstripesnc
02-12-2012, 01:00 PM
Echo SRM-225 here and no issues so far. Its a great light duty trimmer. Echo made a SRM-210 that I believe was super reliable since a lot of people still use them after years of use.

orangemower
02-12-2012, 02:00 PM
My Echo 210 is going on 14 years now and I only replaced the car just last year. Still use it weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device

smallstripesnc
02-12-2012, 02:38 PM
My Echo 210 is going on 14 years now and I only replaced the car just last year. Still use it weekly.
Posted via Mobile Device

I've heard the 210's are really reliable units. When I was looking to purchase a trimmer I looked everywhere for a used 210 but couldn't find anything but the 225's which are pretty much the same unit just a different color.

orangemower
02-12-2012, 06:55 PM
I've heard the 210's are really reliable units. When I was looking to purchase a trimmer I looked everywhere for a used 210 but couldn't find anything but the 225's which are pretty much the same unit just a different color.
The 225 replaced the 210. I managed to find a brand new 210 for $170 at my dealer so I have two. Great trimmer all around.
Posted via Mobile Device

z71tiger
02-12-2012, 07:11 PM
I have an assortment of trimmers and blowers and I'm not happy with any of them. I was going to try sthil next. I guess I'll just start buying trimmers that are 5 years old off of eBay. Seems like older trimmers last forever.
Posted via Mobile Device

SDLandscapes VT
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
So stihl created perhaps the best trimmers to ever serve the industry in the FS80/85 then, to meet EPA they went 4-mix. There is a place for 4-mix but I don't care for it in a trimmer or blower--it seems less precise. I have three redmax 8000 blowers 1 FS 80 trimmer (I had two, but lost one off the trailer), two FC 110 edgers, and now a host of new shindy equipment--ironically their 4-mix technology. They have done a better job with the 4 mix, BUT the coldest blooded stuff I have ever used--so a trade off the precision of two stroke--with better fuel economy, but has valve adjustments and hates the cold. I have a great dealer with the shindy stuff and he sells redmax too, but I don't care for RM trimmer and he couldn't get me an 8500 blower in the time horizon I needed so we got the shindy. What it really boils down to is the dealer

agent walker
02-13-2012, 04:43 PM
get the small redmax trimmer , i think model 2350, and use the .080 redmax trimmer line. it weights almost nothing and has lots of power for it size. not a brush cutting machine, but i'll go against anybody anytime for speed and easy to use

MLAWCARE
02-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I would try Tanaka if you have dealer support. If you buy them as personal trimmer you get 7 year full warranty so you dont have to worry about them for 7 years it will be my next purchase! Just trying to save where ever you can.

grassmasterswilson
02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
I've run stihl for years and went through 2 of the 4 stroke blowers. Ran fine and just lost all power due to carbon build up. That's running 89 octane and the synthetic blend oil. Switched to a redmax blower to try since they were very similar.

Still running the stihl fs80 trimmer and love it. Getting some age on it and i'm wondering what to go with next. Not impressed with 4 stroke stihl and seems about half the redmax/echo owners love them and the other half hate them.

Maybe a poll on the favorite in stock trimmer models would be helpful for everyone?

Ridin' Green
02-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I've run stihl for years and went through 2 of the 4 stroke blowers. Ran fine and just lost all power due to carbon build up. That's running 89 octane and the synthetic blend oil. Switched to a redmax blower to try since they were very similar.

Still running the stihl fs80 trimmer and love it. Getting some age on it and i'm wondering what to go with next. Not impressed with 4 stroke stihl and seems about half the redmax/echo owners love them and the other half hate them.

Maybe a poll on the favorite in stock trimmer models would be helpful for everyone?

I think maybe you are mixing up RedMax with Shidiawa? I have never seen a RM 4 stroke, and Shindy is the company owned by Echo.

Try some Star Tron or Seafoam in your 4 mixer's. It seems to help keep them carbon free.

SDLandscapes VT
02-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Try the shindy T254--not an FS 80, four mix ish technology but we have been happy with this as an FS 80 replacement

mowerbrad
02-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I've had Stihl since I started. I've got an FS46 that's 10 years old and still runs just fine. My FS100RX is 4-5 years old and still running strong. My KM110R is about 3 years old (not used all that often) and runs flawlessly. My BR340 is 10 years old and runs great. My BR600 is going on its 3rd year and runs just as good as ever.

In other words, I've had a great experience with Stihl and have no intension of switching.

grassmasterswilson
02-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I think maybe you are mixing up RedMax with Shidiawa? I have never seen a RM 4 stroke, and Shindy is the company owned by Echo.

Try some Star Tron or Seafoam in your 4 mixer's. It seems to help keep them carbon free.

was talking about the 4 stroke stihl blower and thought the new stihl trimmers were also 4 stroke.

If I make a change I will most likely go redmax or shindy

Cronkshorticulture
02-13-2012, 08:08 PM
I love the Stihl 4-mix, the torque of a 4 stroke without having the extra oil tank. The 4-mix uses 50:1 oil just like your normal 2 strokes without the smell or noise, also run faster than 4 strokes. A little heavier than 2 strokes but all a round great machines.

Ridin' Green
02-13-2012, 08:15 PM
was talking about the 4 stroke stihl blower and thought the new stihl trimmers were also 4 stroke.

If I make a change I will most likely go redmax or shindy

I just re-read your other posts, and it still read to me like you were saying RM was also a 4 stroke. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

There have been several threads, and some polls about favorite blowers etc. You should be able to find them quite easily in search. Some were just last summer/fall.

If you are looking at a new BP, take a look at the new Husky's. Since Husky owns RM, they are basically the RM 7500/8500's in orange instead of red, but they have different straps and air box covers, and a few other things like that. I have the Husky 570 BTS, and though I really love my BR600M, I love the Husky more. It is an awesome machine, and a lot more comfortable to wear for any length of time due to the much better strap design on it than on the Stihl.