PDA

View Full Version : Telling people you mow when grass is so many inches high?

lawnsaspire
02-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Does anyone have in their contracts or agreements with people that you mow when the grass is so many inches high, instead of saying i come every week unless there's a drought would this be a good idea? If so, how many inches do you say?

Richard Martin
02-09-2012, 11:52 AM
As was pointed out in another thread, what are you going to do? Drive by and check it? Contracts have to be vague when it concerns height or the old standby "only cut it when it needs it". My contract wording does not state any height provisions.

"Basic Lawn Care Package - includes: Mowing, grass trimming, edging of concrete surfaces and blowing off of concrete surfaces. This service will generally be performed on a weekly basis during the growing season and on an “As Needed” basis during the off season. The growing season is defined as the period from April 1 until September 30. The price for the basic lawn care package is $50.00 per occurrence."

Do you notice how it say "generally" when it comes to the frequency of cuts? I always consult with the customer before I skip any mowings due to drought conditions.

It's also pretty rare that I have to cancel a service due to weather like rain. But just in case I do I have this in my contracts too. This is especially helpful when you have a 12 month pay customer.

"Richard Martin will make every attempt to perform the lawn service on the same day of the week. If weather or other circumstances beyond Richard Martin's control prevent him from performing the service on the day of or the day after the regularly scheduled service day Richard Martin reserves the right to skip the lawn service until the same day on the next week."

Lefet
02-09-2012, 12:09 PM
As was pointed out in another thread, what are you going to do? Drive by and check it? Contracts have to be vague when it concerns height or the old standby "only cut it when it needs it". My contract wording does not state any height provisions.

"Basic Lawn Care Package - includes: Mowing, grass trimming, edging of concrete surfaces and blowing off of concrete surfaces. This service will generally be performed on a weekly basis during the growing season and on an “As Needed” basis during the off season. The growing season is defined as the period from April 1 until September 30. The price for the basic lawn care package is $50.00 per occurrence."

Do you notice how it say "generally" when it comes to the frequency of cuts? I always consult with the customer before I skip any mowings due to drought conditions.

It's also pretty rare that I have to cancel a service due to weather like rain. But just in case I do I have this in my contracts too. This is especially helpful when you have a 12 month pay customer.

"Richard Martin will make every attempt to perform the lawn service on the same day of the week. If weather or other circumstances beyond Richard Martin's control prevent him from performing the service on the day of or the day after the regularly scheduled service day Richard Martin reserves the right to skip the lawn service until the same day on the next week."

Well said. Period.

jaybow
02-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Tell people it is a weekly service. If the grass is green, and growing at all you mow. If the lawn is messy with seeds or anything falling from a tree etc, even if not growing much, you mow+bag. You keep the yard cleaned up and tidy as if it was your own.
Posted via Mobile Device

martinlawn29
02-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Don't make it to hard to hold to
sell it one of 2 ways
Seasonal lawn contract $$$$ a month based on 29 mows
Per-CUT CONTRACT lawn will be mowed for $$$ per mow on this given day unless due to weather.
then just show everything that you offer as well on your contract i would steer clear of going by the inch that would be tuff

good luck my friend have a good summer