PDA

View Full Version : How many lawns a day?

zspeed130
02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
O.K. Maybe my search-fu is week but I could not find a topic on this. I am in central indian. We have been very dry for a couple years so it has been hard to get an idea (Last season was my first on mowing).

How many lawns can you expect to complete a day by yourself? What about with a helper to trim? Lets keep it simple, a mix of basic yards. mostly half acre lots with a house on them. I have a couple approaching 8/10's of an acre. It was really hard to get a hold on a solid days work without setting myself up for failure. I had 12 lawns my busiest day and a couple times they took like 8hrs:o
which seemed like a lot. The guy I got them from said about 6 on a normal day.

I don't want to overload myself to the point I piss people off but I am thinking about 14 a day? I have been told in spring when it is wet You can get behind fast? But I know if I gain 30 or so spring customers they will dwindle as I figure out who the jokers are so I do not want to start out light.

Thanks for the help! Great site!

Z

Flex-Deck
02-09-2012, 09:26 PM
It depends upon the route we have that day. Some of my accounts are 30 acres, and some are 1 acre of less. Each operator-machine generates $50/hr for the day. (From the time they leave the shed till they get home that nite)

zspeed130
02-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Indiana :o:o

And the guys I got them from said the 12 took him about 6hrs

martinlawn29
02-10-2012, 05:48 AM
A two man crew with 60 inch mower and min drive time 30 to 40 lawns aday of course depending on the lawn size by your self ......I'm sure 15 good size lawns in a 8 to 10 hour day would be doing well if to do it alone push for 3 day weeks if not 4 have a open rain day and u will do fine

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 07:01 AM
It depends on the lawns and the expected quality of the product. With even doing 1/4 acre lawns, if your product is of a very high level, you're not going to get 30 to 40 done with a 2 man crew in a day. The only way to get that much work done in a day is if you fly through them without concern.

I'm more goal oriented towards a dollar amount than a volume amount. If you load your schedule up with high profit jobs then you won't have to work your guys like slaves.

Raymond S.
02-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Solo a good target (and realistic) is 30 minutes for standard 1/2 acre residential. 20/5/5(mow, trim, blow.) some less, some more. Factor drive time and a typical 8hr day should be around 12-15 yards. No way will 2 guys knock out 30-40 yards day in and day out unless they're small and bunched together, and quality is sacrificed. Don't kill yourself, do a good job without rushing (not to be confused with being efficient) and shoot for 50yds / week and you will do fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

martinlawn29
02-10-2012, 07:54 AM
30 lawns ez in a day with 2 guys we do 10 lawns with out moving the truck that's why I said depending on drive time we do some prvt roads with 20 some homes on them. I agree don't kill your self but 30 to 40 can be done and is done just saying guys around us do it all the time and they look nice good luck on your solo mission my friend !

martinlawn29
02-10-2012, 07:59 AM
And our guys work 4 12 hour days so u would be rite if u based it on an 8 hour day

Guzzo856
02-10-2012, 09:37 AM
400 over houses in a full day in a over 55 community.5 guys cutting 3 trimming, 2 on the blower, and all the bagged grass is loaded into the bucket of the skid steer and dumped in truck:cool2:

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 09:49 AM
400 over houses in a full day in a over 55 community.5 guys cutting 3 trimming, 2 on the blower, and all the bagged grass is loaded into the bucket of the skid steer and dumped in truck:cool2:

My mother lives in a place like that. They just go from one yard to the next. All of the "yards" are in a nice row and the guy that cuts just goes in a straight line from one yard to the next. Then he turns around and completes that row with a second pass. They about 200 sq ft each.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-10-2012, 09:59 AM
Good comments above, keep in mind a new guy like the OP will NOT have an efficient route. That takes years to get. That said, I like to plan for 50 minute to an hour for each 1/4 to 1/2 acre resi lawn (with drive time). And no, you cannot use a 60" Z on some of those - some will be more prudently done with a WB. So, all things said, I would say 8-10 lawns a day for a solo guy, with lawn sizes ranging from 5k sq ft to 1/2 acre, non efficient route, and some lawns Z some WB. So in a week that would be 40-50 lawns which for a solo guy is a nice healthy amount esp if you are doing things other than just mowing and going.

WHIPPLE5.7
02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
1/4 acre lots with a 36 WB I had no problem with 8 or so a day and there was plenty of drive time. I really need to focus on grouping accounts closer to eachother, it would save an hour or more a day.
Posted via Mobile Device