PDA

View Full Version : Freedom 42 Blades and Parts

GregJ
11-28-2002, 11:55 AM
I have a John Deere LX277 with a Freedom 42 mulching deck. I have been taking the blades down to the local JD dealer to have them sharpened. They do it by hand and quite frankly they come back looking like they did it blindfolded. Actually I think I could do better by hand. I also just replaced my first timing belt. Replacing the belt wasn't too bad of a job, but shelling out $57 for the belt was a painful experience. So, I have 3 questions:
1. Is there a jig or sharpening tool that I can buy that works well sharpening these mulching blades?
2. Are there any after market mulching blades that work well with the Freedom 42 deck?
3. Are there any on-line resources for JD replacement parts, like belts and blades, that are more competetively priced?

I really like the Freedom 42 deck. When the blades are sharp it does a great job of mulching. However, I would like to sharpen my blades more frequently, and the best way to do that would be to do it myself. Thank you for any suggestions.

Greg

BladeRunner Rep
11-28-2002, 12:06 PM
I do not know if there are aftermarket blades for your mower or not, but there are actual blade grinders and there is a company who makes a blade holding devise for a regular bench grinder. I will do some checking and see if I can get you the name and phone number!

GregJ
11-28-2002, 12:28 PM
Thanks Bladerunner. The big challenge is finding a tool that will sharpen the curves on the blade. I have found a grinder made to do this specifically, for about $1,000. That's a bit out of my price range.

Greg