PDA

View Full Version : 75 yard mulch job-How to spread?

grassyfras
02-10-2012, 01:24 PM
I have a commercial property I won the bid for and now have the biggest mulch I have ever done. I was originally planning on having 75 yards delivered to the property. I have two trucks, one has a dump bed that makes moving mulch much easier. I am planning on having a skid steer on site to fill up the dump truck and have two guys spread from that throughout the site. While the other two guys are spreading from the truck, another guy will spread mulch from the skid steer.

I am wondering if a garden tractor with a dump trailer would be helpful for this site or a waste of time and money? The beds are mostly small and spread out.

I got a quote for having the mulch blown in and that is an option.

I'm thinking 4 men can do this within two days. The prep work such as edging, weeding, leaf removal will be done before so all we have to do is spread.

Any advice?

Landrus2
02-10-2012, 01:46 PM
Why the dump truck when he delivers have it spread out:waving:

grassyfras
02-10-2012, 01:54 PM
It's a 3/4 ton dump truck. I'm using it as a giant wheel barrow to get closer to beds.

KrayzKajun
02-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I think what jim is saying, why not have the mulch delivered in different spots throughout the property? Instead of having one giant 75yd pile of mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landrus2
02-10-2012, 02:12 PM
[QUOTE=KrayzKajun;4305921]I think what jim is saying, why not have the mulch delivered in different spots throughout the property? Instead of having one giant 75yd pile of mulch.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOT

Jim:confused::confused::confused::confused:

KrayzKajun
02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Stupid phone. I typed Joe. It changed it to Jim.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
Stupid phone. I typed Joe. It changed it to Jim.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad I'm not the only one with one of those stupid phones!! :laugh:

grassyfras
02-10-2012, 04:26 PM
Joe

Good idea I will be sure to try that if the property allows me to dump it in several different places.

Pressedun
02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Think you really have 2 options, have the delivery guy dump it in a few different spots or just have it blown in. Seems kinda tedious to have it dropped off then load it again and unload it from the truck.

FLC2000
02-10-2012, 07:23 PM
If you can find a guy who can blow it in then do it. My guy charges about 50 a yard for the mulch and to blow it. I charge 80 a yard. Pretty good profit for doing next to nothing.

GravelyGuy
02-10-2012, 07:49 PM
This is how I move mulch on big properties.

grassyfras
02-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Ryan

That seems like a good way to go. I'll look into renting something like that. Wish I could buy one. It would be good for snow.

I received a estimate to have the mulch blown in for $40 a yard plus tax. That may be an option for me, but I do need the money and may just do it myself with a few other guys.

GravelyGuy
02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Ryan

That seems like a good way to go. I'll look into renting something like that. Wish I could buy one. It would be good for snow.

I received a estimate to have the mulch blown in for $40 a yard plus tax. That may be an option for me, but I do need the money and may just do it myself with a few other guys.

Hey it really is great. I have 3 trucks and none of them have plows. I use my gator.

GravelyGuy
02-10-2012, 08:46 PM
You will have to fix up some kind of sides if you find one to use. I can hold probably 3/4 of a yard with the wood sides, but not much without them.

howierd3866
02-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Ryan you bet me to it..its the same we do mulch jobs...then later we have a play toy that we own

FoghornLeghorn
02-10-2012, 10:09 PM
My old apartment used to have the mulch delivered in pallets. The truck would drop a pallet in one general area, another in another area, etc. Then the crews would already have the mulch in a general area and carry the bags to exact locations. Faster than one huge pile of mulch and bobcatting it everywhere. The less steps/handling of the mulch, the more profitable you'll be...

FoghornLeghorn
02-10-2012, 10:15 PM
How much per yard did you bid? If you can get it blown for $40, then you might have a good bit to skim off the top for next to no work...

jbell36
02-10-2012, 10:46 PM
yeah, if you don't mind me asking how much do you charge per yard? and do you buy it from a supplier or straight from the source?

$40 per yard to be blown in is an awesome deal...if you charge $80 per yard then you are profiting $40 without labor, truck, fuel, break downs, etc...don't forget mulching is a tough job

GravelyGuy
02-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Ryan you bet me to it..its the same we do mulch jobs...then later we have a play toy that we own

Yeah, it actually is pretty turf friendly unless it's really wet. I would like to have some less aggressive tires for turf only.

grassyfras
02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm getting over $50 a yard and buying it from $12-$14.50 a yard including delivery and tax.

OneLineAtATime
02-11-2012, 09:09 PM
You can rent a mulch blower trailer unit, i have done it many times. Use your skid loader to load it at the site. Works great two guys can do 75 yards in a day