PDA

View Full Version : Changing bearings on a Quick 36

lawnsaspire
02-10-2012, 02:10 PM
So my Quick 36 has been making a grinding noise when I engage the blades. I took the blades out and the spindles out their housing and the balls from the bearings immediately fell out and their were little metal chips that fell out. I only checked the two outside blades. I've never changed bearings like this on a mower. Do I just change the bearings around the spindle itself as I see nothing wrong with the spindle shaft, or do I also change the housing. I'm not really sure where the chips and shavings are coming from as there's grease everywhere, but it's obvious that's whats making the grinding noise. Thanks for your help.

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Just change the bearings if you can find a number on them. How many hours are on your mower (est).

lawnsaspire
02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
about 500 hours, I just wasn't sure if it was the metal chips making the noise or the balls from the bearings being loose in there, either way I know i'll have to change the bearings, I just didn't know if I needed to change the housing also.

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 02:54 PM
about 500 hours, I just wasn't sure if it was the metal chips making the noise or the balls from the bearings being loose in there, either way I know i'll have to change the bearings, I just didn't know if I needed to change the housing also.

The housing should be fine. After you disassemble the spindle wipe all of the old grease out. Then you can get a chance to look at the housing and make sure it's okay. It should be unless you've been striking a lot of hard objects. Do you grease those spindles or are they greaseless?

Exact Rototilling
02-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Bearings are easily replaced with ones from a bearing house but they usally have the inner seal in place. That will need to be pryed out.

I will get you numbers when I get a chance to go to my parts stash.

Did you regualiry grease them? I typically only give them a half pump of grease each time I have the cover off.

lawnsaspire
02-10-2012, 03:15 PM
yes I regularly greased them. I don't know what I hit. Do the bearings come with the balls sealed in them or do you have to be careful when installing not to drop the balls everywhere. I'm really get tired of saying balls so much.

Exact Rototilling
02-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Could be a number things even too much hydraulic pressure when greasing. You don't have to be concerned with bearing falling out of place. The race cage hold.them.there. Only if you remove an inner seal will.you be able.to see them.
Posted via Mobile Device

FLC2000
02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
500 hours?

I have mowers with 3 times that much that have not needed bearings or spindles.

I dont know what kind of warranty they offer but Id check into it. You also might want to think about upgrading to something a little more solid and sturdy.

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 06:38 PM
yes I regularly greased them. I don't know what I hit.

The only reason I asked about striking hard objects has to do with the condition of the housings. If you hit a lot of stuff the housings may have been cracked. Otherwise just give a wipe and a quick check.

lawnsaspire
02-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Well I looked at the bOP website and they're being sold to another larger company. what's going on with that? I tried to call and only got peoples voice messages. Is there another place I can order the same bearings?

Exact Rototilling
02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Koyo ® Japanese bearing 62052RDC3
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Well I looked at the bOP website and they're being sold to another larger company. what's going on with that? I tried to call and only got peoples voice messages.

I find it astounding that they don't answer the phones, whether there is a change of ownership or not. I worked for a small company that got taken over by a global giant and we just kept on rolling during the whole process. This is not normal.

Richard Martin
02-10-2012, 08:43 PM
I mean, the only reason I can think of to not answer the phones is if the purchasing company has no interest in Better's current customers. Literally, there is no one at their facilites because they've all been let go. This makes no sense. What else would a larger company be buying? It's not the manufacturing facilites because Better was basically an assembler that had everything built by other companies. I don't know that they had any patents but I never heard of anyone bragging about patents.

djagusch
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
I find it astounding that they don't answer the phones, whether there is a change of ownership or not. I worked for a small company that got taken over by a global giant and we just kept on rolling during the whole process. This is not normal.

It is very strange. Lawn Solutions had a similar deal though when bought by Toro. Basically the shop was closed for a couple months.

Quick was a customer service based biz. They didn't have dealers so they needed to wow you on the phone. Now that is gone.

Richard Martin
02-11-2012, 03:36 AM
Quick was a customer service based biz. They didn't have dealers so they needed to wow you on the phone. Now that is gone.

The only thing that could be worse for business is when you call and you hear a female voice that says: We're sorry, but this number is no longer in service.

cgaengineer
02-11-2012, 06:16 AM
So my Quick 36 has been making a grinding noise when I engage the blades. I took the blades out and the spindles out their housing and the balls from the bearings immediately fell out and their were little metal chips that fell out. I only checked the two outside blades. I've never changed bearings like this on a mower. Do I just change the bearings around the spindle itself as I see nothing wrong with the spindle shaft, or do I also change the housing. I'm not really sure where the chips and shavings are coming from as there's grease everywhere, but it's obvious that's whats making the grinding noise. Thanks for your help.

As tough as Toro spindles are I have had to replace bearings twice...they are not greasable and the moisture kills them. Fastenal should have what you need for the quick.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Koyo ® Japanese bearing 62052RDC3
Posted via Mobile Device

Cross reference this part # forget about getting them from BOP for now. Remove inner seal with sharp object if you want to be able to grease them.

As of yet never had to change a spindle bearing on any of my BOP mowers. I have busted a few reverse levers and snapped a reverse.cable.

I did have to.chase down a no flat tire wheel.bearing that grenaded on my last year. BOP didn't stock that part.but did have replacement wheels.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnsaspire
02-16-2012, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=Exact Rototilling;4307759]Cross reference this part # forget about getting them from BOP for now. Remove inner seal with sharp object if you want to be able to grease them.

Can I get those bearings as Auto Zone or O'Reilleys?

Richard Martin
02-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Can I get those bearings as Auto Zone or O'Reilleys?

Yes you can.

cgaengineer
02-16-2012, 03:39 PM
You just need the number off the outer race.
Posted via Mobile Device

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-16-2012, 06:09 PM
I had several spindles fail on my BOP - and on better than half of them, the cheap aluminum housing was fractured. Food for thought.

orangemower
02-16-2012, 07:18 PM
You sure are bitter. It's a shame you had bad experience with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

whoopassonthebluegrass
02-16-2012, 07:46 PM
You sure are bitter. It's a shame you had bad experience with them.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was meaning to clarify, is all - for lawnsaspire's sake.

Look for hairline fractures on those housings. I didn't know a couple of 'em were even damaged until I unbolted them and they fell into multiple pieces.

Otherwise one might find they bought new bearings for a spindle that's a couple hours' vibration away from falling apart - new bearings or not.

lifetree
02-16-2012, 09:09 PM
... Literally, there is no one at their facilites because they've all been let go. ...

Richard -- Have you actually been by the facility to ascertain this for a fact ??

orangemower
02-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Lifetree, of course he didn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

ecurbthims
02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
If king Richards wrong ,why then would nobody pick up the damned phone or answer an email ? its been 4 months since people have been asking for info ,yet the company still cant give an honest answer .

Richard Martin
02-17-2012, 05:24 AM
Richard -- Have you actually been by the facility to ascertain this for a fact ??

No I haven't. It a safe assumption given the facts.

1: No products are leaving the facility. Not even replacement parts.
2: No one is answering the phones.

What would they be doing? It is corporate suicide to completely ignore your past, current and future clients. If they are still viable, they are burning bridges that would be difficult to rebuild.

If you dig around on Google a bit you can actually find out some information and possibly, what is going on. In just a couple of minutes I found out that one of the partners is a Michael Appolonia. He is a venture capitalist and as such, is only in it for the money. As much as Gary may have been in this to provide a great product, it may have been that his partners were only in it for the money.

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/michael-appolonia/9/a9a/575

Another partner is JJH Investements of Wisconsin. Here's the NC legal filing for Better Outdoor Products LLC:

http://www.secretary.state.nc.us/corporations/Corp.aspx?PitemId=5920280

Exact Rototilling
02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Yeah I have to admit this doesn't look good. There has been some.feedback that BOP is shipping parts etc online but nobody is answering the phone.

As long as I can get spare parts for my BOP mowers I'm a happy.camper. I'm going to put in an online order by Monday at the latest for some key spare.BOP only parts.

Call me.crazy but I'm in process of negotiating a purchase of additional used BOP mowers to line up a second truck. I also admit if there was.another manufacturer that produced a 32-36" WB that weighs in at just at 400 pounds, had dual hydro controls and.the same quality of cut....I'd go in that direction. There is nothing out there in this class. The other.machines are either over weight and longish or lack dually controls.

Any kind of longish parts black out can really hurt a user of these mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-17-2012, 11:38 AM
No I haven't. It a safe assumption given the facts.

1: No products are leaving the facility. Not even replacement parts.
2: No one is answering the phones.

What would they be doing? It is corporate suicide to completely ignore your past, current and future clients. If they are still viable, they are burning bridges that would be difficult to rebuild.

If you dig around on Google a bit you can actually find out some information and possibly, what is going on. In just a couple of minutes I found out that one of the partners is a Michael Appolonia. He is a venture capitalist and as such, is only in it for the money. As much as Gary may have been in this to provide a great product, it may have been that his partners were only in it for the money.

Another partner is JJH Investements of Wisconsin. Here's the NC legal filing for Better Outdoor Products LLC:

Their address also shows a couple fabric companies and food dist. Most likely one building with leased out areas, driving by would show cars but to who would be hard to know.
Posted via Mobile Device

lifetree
02-17-2012, 07:38 PM
... If you dig around on Google a bit you can actually find out some information and possibly, what is going on. In just a couple of minutes I found out that one of the partners is a Michael Appolonia. He is a venture capitalist and as such, is only in it for the money. As much as Gary may have been in this to provide a great product, it may have been that his partners were only in it for the money.

All this information has already been disclosed in the "BOP Selling Out" thread here on LS ... there's nothing new here !!

Richard Martin
02-17-2012, 08:26 PM
All this information has already been disclosed in the "BOP Selling Out" thread here on LS ... there's nothing new here !!

I wasn't trying to say that anything was new. Just trying to point out that Google can be of some assistance. Don't get mad at me if your boys are going down.

I sounded a warning 2 years ago when they were having all of those problems shipping out replacement parts. The fact that JJH is a relatively new investor indicates that they went looking for more money.

larryinalabama
02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
If you want the Napa # let me know I keep extras ont the truck,, its dark now so I dont want to look for them.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-17-2012, 11:42 PM
OP I have a brand new spindle assembly for a Quick 36 if interested. I run a 2008 Ninja 36. I bought the parts package with my machine at the time.

lifetree
02-19-2012, 08:31 PM
I wasn't trying to say that anything was new. Just trying to point out that Google can be of some assistance. Don't get mad at me if your boys are going down. ...

I'm not getting mad ... I simply wasn't sure whether you were aware that the same information had already been pointed out in the other thread, that's all !!

lawnsaspire
02-20-2012, 02:29 PM
so i opened up everything and took the housing off and checked it. there are no cracks. I only need two bearings, the top bearings are fine. My question is the are the bottom bearings a different make than the top. I never got a good look at them b/c they fell apart immediately. Also the BOP website says this:

10248-S
"Replacement spindle bearings for all 2005 or newer Quick-series mowers with greaseable spindles.

Precision-grade ball bearings, open on one side (grease side), sealed/shielded on the other. Sold in pairs. "
I went to oreileys and advance and they both had the 205 bearing sold as a single bearing, one place had them for 20 the other for 16. but better's website is selling them as a pair. So my main question is the above quote makes the bottoms sound different than the top. and where to purchase them since i don't trust ordering anything off the BOP site rite now. thanks

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-20-2012, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't trust the BOP site now either until they tell us something.
I advised I have a brand new spindle I may be willing to sell, did you miss that?

lawnsaspire
02-20-2012, 02:50 PM
i don't need a new spindle. I need two new bottom (blade side) bearings that i was hoping to pick up for 10 to 15 bucks. But I'm trying to figure out if they are different than the top bearings that go in the top of the housing. tnx

Richard Martin
02-20-2012, 05:17 PM
i was hoping to pick up for 10 to 15 bucks.

I found that bearing here for $10 each in the KML brand.

http://www.locateballbearings.com/Search-62052RDC3

Exact Rototilling
02-20-2012, 05:31 PM
I found that bearing here for $10 each in the KML brand.

http://www.locateballbearings.com/Search-62052RDC3

I think KML’s are chinnesse made. Given a choice I’d by a Japanesse bearing over China made product for the same spec....for few more $.

Richard Martin
02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Given a choice I’d by a Japanesse bearing over China made product for the same spec....for few more $.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb56/RMartin631/smilies/Thumbs_up_smiley.png

larryinalabama
02-20-2012, 08:42 PM
so i opened up everything and took the housing off and checked it. there are no cracks. I only need two bearings, the top bearings are fine. My question is the are the bottom bearings a different make than the top. I never got a good look at them b/c they fell apart immediately. Also the BOP website says this:

10248-S
"Replacement spindle bearings for all 2005 or newer Quick-series mowers with greaseable spindles.

Precision-grade ball bearings, open on one side (grease side), sealed/shielded on the other. Sold in pairs. "
I went to oreileys and advance and they both had the 205 bearing sold as a single bearing, one place had them for 20 the other for 16. but better's website is selling them as a pair. So my main question is the above quote makes the bottoms sound different than the top. and where to purchase them since i don't trust ordering anything off the BOP site rite now. thanks

OK heres the deal............ NAPA part # P62052RSJ fits the top and bottom or the BOP spindles and are 7.00to 8.00$ each. You can take off the seal if you want but I leave them on. The BOP spindles have a design flaw, I dont know what it is heat because of their size or whatever Im no engenieeer.
I have 700 houres on my machine and Im on my 4th set of spindle bearings and keep them on hand so if a spindle is loose when I sharpen bledes I can at that time replace the bearing or both bearings. Hope that helps

Exact Rototilling
02-20-2012, 09:22 PM
OK heres the deal............ NAPA part # P62052RSJ fits the top and bottom or the BOP spindles and are 7.00to 8.00$ each. You can take off the seal if you want but I leave them on. The BOP spindles have a design flaw, I dont know what it is heat because of their size or whatever Im no engenieeer.
I have 700 houres on my machine and Im on my 4th set of spindle bearings and keep them on hand so if a spindle is loose when I sharpen bledes I can at that time replace the bearing or both bearings. Hope that helps

How long did it take the originals to fail?

How long did sets 2-3 take to fail? Did they have the inner seal intact.

Have over 500 hours on my original Q36 single. Bearings are still tight. I typically only grease them half a pump if that. I'm thinking the hydraulic pressure is what causes them to grenade.

Not sure Gary did mention issues with being over greased.

Anyhow if the inner seals are not removed then greased anyhow ...I think that would clearly cause them to grenade from hydraulic pressure.
Posted via Mobile Device

larryinalabama
02-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Exact.....The bearings in all 3 spindles failed in less than 200 hours,, and may have been an issuue long before I realized I had problems because I never expeceted it.
I ordered the first replacement set from BOP at I think around 18$ each and they dont sell them individually even though they are the same top and bottom, the inner seal is removed like the original bearings. Those bearings lasted less than 200 hours, so I took one to NAPA and they gave me the bearing # posted above, I left the seal in an after 200 hours Ive replacet the center mandrul bearings.

The 44" blades are quite a bit heaver than the 36" blades, stil its an engerining problem as the bearings should last 1500hours plus.

Exact Rototilling
02-20-2012, 10:22 PM
From a dynamic force issue the Q32 should fail quicker then since blade is the heaviest and longest at 16.3". The G6 gators are flat out the heaviest since they are 3" wide and thicker at a full 0.25". This mower is at 170 hours or so and will almost be exclusively used in the early season since it is hands down the best bagger in the BOP line.

Time will tell
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnsaspire
02-20-2012, 10:54 PM
what is the center peice that goes around the shaft in between the two bearings called? I didn't understand how it was designed with the "castle' like notches on top and bottom, but no where to latch them into.

Exact Rototilling
02-20-2012, 11:34 PM
what is the center peice that goes around the shaft in between the two bearings called? I didn't understand how it was designed with the "castle' like notches on top and bottom, but no where to latch them into.

It's there along for the ride. It's a spacer between upper and lower bearings. The notches let the grease flow to the bearing open side. Spacer also keeps bearing in place.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnsaspire
02-21-2012, 12:33 AM
i'm not a mechanic as you can see but there's always hope. I hope the Quick Mowers don't go out of business. I really like how easy it is for an idiot like me to work on. As Yancey Tucker once said "ain't nothin i can't learn, but it'd rather have someone teach me."