PDA

View Full Version : Main grass types in PA

Moose's Mowing
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Can somebody educate me as to the main types of grass that is seen in South Eastern PA? It all looks the same around my area, at least to me. I just want to know more about the type of grasses I'll be mowing. I did some searching on Google, but I have a real tough time making out the differences. Would it be safe to say I'll be mowing mainly some type of Fescue?

Thanks in advance

dgw
02-10-2012, 05:53 PM
i would imagine kentucky blue, fescues, rye and bent grass

just research cool season grasses

Moose's Mowing
02-10-2012, 05:58 PM
i would imagine kentucky blue, fescues, rye and bent grass

just research cool season grasses

thanks. I did come up with mainly cool season grasses. Is there much of a difference between the different types? Would it be safe to assume I can mow all types at 3" - 3.5"? I mow my personal yard slightly taller than the neighbors. Our summers here burn the hell out of lawns and I like the better striping with the taller height. Isn't bent grass the stuff they use on putting greens? I remember mowing a putting green at a retirement community years ago. I'd mow it every damn morning and it didn't look any different than it did before I mowed it???? Is bentgrass common in lawns?

Patriot Services
02-10-2012, 06:00 PM
www.seedland.com

Gives a real good breakdown of grasses.:usflag:

DUSTYCEDAR
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
we have a little bit of everything

Moose's Mowing
02-10-2012, 10:17 PM
we have a little bit of everything

where at in PA are you at?

towtruck212
02-10-2012, 11:20 PM
Your going to see mostly KBG and tall fescue.... I wouldnt mow any shorter than 2" and as high as you want.