PDA

View Full Version : BOP Mowers and Serivce ???

lawncare18
02-10-2012, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know what is going on with BOP??? I see what it says on the web page. What is going on? Very very dispapointed with them. ALl the mowers have no prices anymore. I have called and called and no return of my calls. I wish someone could tell me!!! Did they go under... did gary quit? I wanted to purchase another mower but am now looking elsewhere.

FLC2000
02-10-2012, 09:38 PM
From what I have read they have been bought out by a bigger company but with the way the website it laid out and the fact nobody can get ahold of them I wouldnt be shocked if they were out of business and just laying low.

Quit wasting your time and look elsewhere.

SLT
02-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Same here, I left a message and haven't heard anything yet.

Richard Martin
02-11-2012, 03:48 AM
I thought something might be going on last year when they dropped their Lawnsite sponsorship. They had been sponsoring here since the very beginning of the company and then they suddenly dropped it. Then late last year Gary came in talking about a whole new line of improved mowers with new, deeper decks and I thought they might be doing okay. Now there's nothing but silence. Like I wrote in another thread, the only thing worse than them not answering the phone is a female voice that says: We're sorry, but this number is no longer in service.

orangemower
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
They didn't sell out to anyone. They are retooling and getting new product in line.
Posted via Mobile Device oops. I just saw they are being bought.

Richard Martin
02-11-2012, 09:48 AM
They didn't sell out to anyone. They are retooling and getting new product in line.

They don't actually make the parts for their mowers. All of that is done by other companies. They do assembly. At least that's what Gary said.

WHIPPLE5.7
02-11-2012, 10:02 AM
It sure would be nice to hear something quick. If they are just selling to someone else we should have gotten a date that parts mowers would be available. Now there is speculation that they maybe went totally belly up and aren't being up front with it. If thats the case then we have a real problem because spring is snapping at our heals and hundrends of LCOs are needing parts and or a new mower and they are holding out for BOPs long awaited announcement. If that never comes many LCOs will be left at the last minute scrambling for a new game plan.

lawncare18
02-11-2012, 11:56 AM
What is more odd to me is gary is hiding from us... usually hes on this right away .. is it really posible they have gone out of business???? Anyone from nc know if they are around the area anymore? I am going to be in a pinch if this does not get resolved soon. VERY VERY DISAPOINTED WITH BOP AND GARY!!!!

djagusch
02-11-2012, 12:20 PM
What is more odd to me is gary is hiding from us... usually hes on this right away .. is it really posible they have gone out of business???? Anyone from nc know if they are around the area anymore? I am going to be in a pinch if this does not get resolved soon. VERY VERY DISAPOINTED WITH BOP AND GARY!!!!

Anyone can say "I think they went under", but to do so would be without proof and a assumption.

Quick was at the GEI Expo (which cost some money to be there). If they were going under would you spend your time and money there, especailly when your website is saying "sold out" on over half of your inventory?

In the fall they have said they are making some deck changes adding some larger mowers.

They posted what they are doing on their website approximately a month ago (Jan 15th about).

Gary had posted something about Mid Febuary for a target of getting the new mowers out.

I have and a couple others have emailed and recieved responses. It appears that some things are taking longer than expected.

I would guess Gary is a partner or employee which was told to keep his mouth shut until a certain date. But also agree that the silence is not good.

I don't own a quick and typically anti quick due to lack of local dealerships. I'm interested in seeing if this goes into a existing dealer network which would resolve my main objection.

There is plenty of threads on this with more info than a guess that they went under.

lawncare18
02-11-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your advice and input... Bottom line is people want to and should know what is going on.. I own a better mower and would love another one asap, but am concernd about what is going on now!!! They have always had great service. Just because a change they should still answer phones or return calls.
Fyi gary is the owner of bop!!!

weeze
02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
.....the BOP mystery continues

elitelawnteam1
02-11-2012, 02:44 PM
I was just on BOPs website, the only thing available is their blowers. My question is how can you just shut down a company for over a month, all for the sake of being bought out. The company still has an A+ rating from the BBB
but at the same time i wouldnt trust them to correctly rate any business.

are parts still available?

integrityman
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I was just on BOPs website, the only thing available is their blowers. My question is how can you just shut down a company for over a month, all for the sake of being bought out. The company still has an A+ rating from the BBB
but at the same time i wouldnt trust them to correctly rate any business.

are parts still available?

Yea.

Im also guessing if you did not return your customers phone calls you'd lose their business......and your business. Definitely way out of the norm for Gary & Tommy at BOP.

djagusch
02-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your advice and input... Bottom line is people want to and should know what is going on.. I own a better mower and would love another one asap, but am concernd about what is going on now!!! They have always had great service. Just because a change they should still answer phones or return calls.
Fyi gary is the owner of bop!!!

Fyi gary sold his company. I bet he didn't stop answering the phone and annouced it on the website until he had a check.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawncare18
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
fyi gary sold his company. I bet he didn't stop answering the phone and annouced it on the website until he had a check.
posted via mobile device

how do you know it was sold? Who was it sold to and when can we prchase mowers and parts???

djagusch
02-11-2012, 03:44 PM
how do you know it was sold? Who was it sold to and when can we prchase mowers and parts???

Do you really believe Gary would turn his back on his customers? The only reason he wouldn't answer is because he is told not to. Better outdoor products is losing value due to the lack of service/communication. Do you see a small biz owner willing to lose that value he worked so hard for? Its more of a large biz mindset that they need everything gone through the legal department, parts manuals, etc.

Please note when lawn solutions was bought "david" the owner couldn't say much either. It was sold put in toros hands, closed with little communications, then press released, then finally open to the public. Just like we are seeing with better outdoor products.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exact Rototilling
02-11-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm not going to assume diddley squat as far as if BOP has been sold etc. It's pretty obvious that the proposed sale was based on lack of cash flow. Why would Gary state on the websites main page.... "to ensure future service parts etc. The sale of the.Co is required. Gary is a stand up Guy who I believe wants to do what is right and back his mowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
My dully 36 is in great shape. I even have a service kit with all the belts spare spindle and other parts. I hope they get things going soon. I'm anxious to see what they have coming out.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valk
02-12-2012, 01:49 AM
I'm very proud of my Q32s from reliability to quality of cut...and I'm part of the BOP family. While this delay in the advancement of BOP is creating quite a fuss, I'm still hopeful and believe that they will get things back on track for a better Better...and the sooner the better.

I'm wanting to post my review on how their mowers have helped shape my small business...but I certainly can't proceed until this present situation is resolved.

lawncare18
02-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Any more thoughts,ideas or news on BOP?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Bump for BOP news!

SLT
02-13-2012, 10:04 PM
I hope they do sell if they are going to treat their customers like this they need to sell. I had planned on buying 2 this year, I guarantee I wont own one now if they were free. I called several times with no answer or returned call. I'm sure Gary is reading all these post, I hope so, now their wont be any crying and moaning when we all buy other mowers after they get through running this business in the ground. Nice job BOP !!

ecurbthims
02-13-2012, 11:04 PM
I wanted to buy 4 bop mowers before christmas ,glad I saw the writing on the wall and bought elsewhere .

Wecutgrass
02-13-2012, 11:27 PM
it says they were bought out on there website

TriCityLawnCareLLC
02-14-2012, 04:10 AM
I realize that buying out a company such as BOP by another (probably much larger) company is something that is going to take a lot of time. Whether or not they went belly up, only time will tell.

It does make me wonder, even if they are being acquired by another company, as to why they're potentially throwing a whole season down the drain by not responding to calls/emails. Especially with spring around the corner.

TriCityLawnCareLLC
02-14-2012, 04:25 AM
I found the thread started by LIFETREE in regards to BOP'S new 2012 lineup. feel free to see if you can get any info from the thread:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=365933

TriCityLawnCareLLC
02-14-2012, 09:12 AM
Matthew,

Thanks for your note.

At present, Better Outdoor is in the process of being acquired by a larger manufacturer. Until this transaction is completed, things will be a bit "up in the air". We expect operations to return to normal pretty shortly.

In the meantime, all parts orders are being processed and shipped to our customers on the day they're received.

Thanks for your patience while we build a bigger, faster Better.

Gary
Better/

WHIPPLE5.7
02-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I've emailed them asking about getting a few parts with no response. They are basically spitting in the face of those who have purchased mowers from them.
Posted via Mobile Device

vanguard
03-09-2012, 04:35 PM
We'll it;s been almost a month since the last post on the thread and there still is no answer to WTF the owners of better outdoor mowers are going to do about repair parts or blades. I'm thoroughly disgusted! :dizzy::confused::realmad:

Exact Rototilling
03-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Online orders for parts are still being processed. Gary is doing parts orders submited online himself. I think it is safe to say based on BOP's public statement on their website that the sale of the Co. Is needed to ensure parts and service support etcetera.

I can help you with blade issues. I run all 3 deck sizes. What do you need? I can give you part #'s etcetera.
Posted via Mobile Device

timscherer
04-09-2012, 05:45 PM
I need to order a caster (no flat) and a center spindle for my Quick 44, who do I call to place the order? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Exact Rototilling
04-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Gary not answering the phone but is processing web orders. If what you need is online just order it. If not send email.via web link with brief subject heading I need blah blah part. Gary has been great about replying and fulfilling orders. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

lawncare18
04-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Anyone know anything NEW ON BOP... still nothing has changed. Season is well under way. not good .

DA Quality Lawn & YS
04-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Ya huge lag in the business......

orangemower
04-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Needless to say, I'm disappointed that they won't even say what is happening and at very least give an update on if or when equipment will be available. I don't understand how Gary would allow sales to plummet with "out of stock" on all the equipment this late into the season.

chuacro
04-26-2012, 11:37 PM
I am just glad I sold my 32 dually at a small lost. I am happy with my gravely compact 34 and like the fact I can go to dealer and get things resloved. Yeah is nice that you can still order parts from Gary on-line but they are not coming out with new things to improve your mowers. If a bigger company buys them out they should bring in these used mowers and upgrade them to keep customers.

Alta Lawn Care
05-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I just ordered a cable for my Quick 36 from the website. It arrived in two days. I have always been happy with BOP and although I feel for those whose businesses rely on BOP mowers having to deal with this uncertainty, I believe that my quick turnaround with this part indicates that there is a desire still at BOP to serve the customer well.

jaybow
05-28-2012, 08:01 PM
With them not speaking, I have a feeling once the service parts are gone, that will be the end.
Posted via Mobile Device

jweiner
05-30-2012, 02:33 PM
I hope they will at least put a list on their website of the OEM parts for their mowers so, for example, if and when they do completely fold, I will know where to go to get a replacement throttle cable, etc.

Richard Martin
05-30-2012, 03:33 PM
I hope they will at least put a list on their website of the OEM parts for their mowers so, for example, if and when they do completely fold, I will know where to go to get a replacement throttle cable, etc.

Some of the parts are available in retail but most of them are proprietary to these mowers. They were custom made just for Quicks and are not available. Engines, clutches, bearings and stuff like that can be bought retail. Frame parts, rods, levers, perhaps spindles and pullies were all custom made. I remember one time Gary went on and on about how much time and work it took just to make the pullies just for Quick.

jweiner
05-31-2012, 12:22 AM
So my mower really will be worthless as soon as one of the proprietary parts breaks?

Richard Martin
05-31-2012, 04:59 AM
So my mower really will be worthless as soon as one of the proprietary parts breaks?

Unless you could get someone to make you another one, yes it would be junk. A friend of mine has a Troy-Bilt chipper-shredder that was made before Briggs bought Troy-Bilt. There is a special screen inside that does all of the work that has to be replaced periodically. When Briggs bought T-B they decided that they weren't going to support this particular piece of equipment. Although his chipper-shredder is virtually brand new it is worthless because he can't get a new screen for it.

Your mower wouldn't quite be worthless. You could either buy another Quick for parts or sell the one you have to someone for parts. And Gary does have a limited supply of parts on hand. Suffice to say though, when those parts are gone, they are gone forever.

jweiner
05-31-2012, 08:27 AM
Do you think it would be a good idea to buy the "service parts package" even though I don't really need it right now?

orangemower
05-31-2012, 08:31 AM
Do you think it would be a good idea to buy the "service parts package" even though I don't really need it right now?

Yes. I bought one myself. It comes with a spindle belts and pulleys.

Richard Martin
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
I would also buy some extra pullies and spindle housings. The bearings in the spindles are replaceable and they are standard bearings that you can get just about anywhere. The spindle housings are probably unique to these mowers as would be any shafts in the housings.

Mark Oomkes
05-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Some of the parts are available in retail but most of them are proprietary to these mowers. They were custom made just for Quicks and are not available. Engines, clutches, bearings and stuff like that can be bought retail. Frame parts, rods, levers, perhaps spindles and pullies were all custom made. I remember one time Gary went on and on about how much time and work it took just to make the pullies just for Quick.

Wasn't part of the concept of BOP to use the same parts that other mfg's use but because of no middle man the prices would be lower? Now there are proprietary parts that will render a machine useless?

Sort of wondering if all the naysayers were right all along........

Richard Martin
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Wasn't part of the concept of BOP to use the same parts that other mfg's use but because of no middle man the prices would be lower? Now there are proprietary parts that will render a machine useless?

Sort of wondering if all the naysayers were right all along........

It's not really a concept per se. It's standard among all manufacturers, regardless of what it is that being made. You want to use as many common parts as you can because it does keep the cost to manufacture down. But there will always be proprietary parts and it's those parts that are the weak link.

orangemower
05-31-2012, 03:58 PM
It sucks cuz I really like the mowers. I wish I had a dually 44 to go with the 36.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
05-31-2012, 04:04 PM
It's not really a concept per se. It's standard among all manufacturers, regardless of what it is that being made. You want to use as many common parts as you can because it does keep the cost to manufacture down. But there will always be proprietary parts and it's those parts that are the weak link.

'Cept the bigger companies don't get "bought" out. Well, Exmark did, but I don't recall any parts\service\product issues when they were.

herler
05-31-2012, 09:34 PM
Well, no, they only last 3 years anyhow.

But we have machines that are no longer supported, one or two are from places that have been gone for years but even with companies that are still in business much past 8-10 years they start to discontinue some parts every year it's more and more, and it is a bit of a headache but I might suggest learn to cross-reference.

Most of what a mower is made of is made from parts that came from other companies.
You do realize this, and a lot of these other companies are still around?

The engine isn't a BOP.
The tires aren't BOPs
The bearings and spindles and belts and screws and nuts and bolts and springs and linkages and nothing...
No, the transmission's not a BOP, not even the oil or the oil filter, not the air filter, not the fuel filter nor the fuel line either.
Nothing except the frame and powdercoat job is truly BOP, and maybe the gas tank.
They made the frame out of steel, and powdercoat painted it.
Everything else they ordered in bulk and put it all together on an assembly line.

How I know, we order a TON of parts for our name brand machines from anywhere EXCEPT that name brand manufacturer.
I have machines in the fleet that are 25-30 years and maybe even older than that, guarantee you they stopped supporting those so long ago that the carburetor for one old Kohler we had they wanted $250 because it's a rare antique!
It was so old that just one model earlier you wrapped the rope around the crankshaft by hand and pulled, ours had the "new" rewinding recoil!
But I bought a whole new (aftermarket) engine for $120!
I had to think about that because installing the new engine ruins the machine as an antique, but dog gone it to me it's a tool!
So you just have to know where to get, or find the parts.

orangemower
05-31-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, no, they only last 3 years anyhow.

But we have machines that are no longer supported, one or two are from places that have been gone for years but even with companies that are still in business much past 8-10 years they start to discontinue some parts every year it's more and more, and it is a bit of a headache but I might suggest learn to cross-reference.

Most of what a mower is made of is made from parts that came from other companies.
You do realize this, and a lot of these other companies are still around?

The engine isn't a BOP.
The tires aren't BOPs
The bearings and spindles and belts and screws and nuts and bolts and springs and linkages and nothing...
No, the transmission's not a BOP, not even the oil or the oil filter, not the air filter, not the fuel filter nor the fuel line either.
Nothing except the frame and powdercoat job is truly BOP, and maybe the gas tank.
They made the frame out of steel, and powdercoat painted it.
Everything else they ordered in bulk and put it all together on an assembly line.

How I know, we order a TON of parts for our name brand machines from anywhere EXCEPT that name brand manufacturer.
I have machines in the fleet that are 25-30 years and maybe even older than that, guarantee you they stopped supporting those so long ago that the carburetor for one old Kohler we had they wanted $250 because it's a rare antique!
It was so old that just one model earlier you wrapped the rope around the crankshaft by hand and pulled, ours had the "new" rewinding recoil!
But I bought a whole new (aftermarket) engine for $120!
I had to think about that because installing the new engine ruins the machine as an antique, but dog gone it to me it's a tool!
So you just have to know where to get, or find the parts.

Topsites, is that you? :waving:

Exact Rototilling
06-01-2012, 12:11 PM
It sucks cuz I really like the mowers. I wish I had a dually 44 to go with the 36.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes...the Q44 is great machine with the correct blades. Each BOP deck size has a strong and weak point.

I now own all 3 deck sizes in the duallys. Whoever person or manufacturer or Co. Etc ....can consider buying or partnering up with Gary can do so with confidence that the mower line has a definite niche in the market. Smaller and lighter for comparable deck size and the ease of use with the dual hydros....etcetera

The wet damp grass issues still shadows these mowers however running the proper blades makes all.the difference in the world.

:waving:
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Yes...the Q44 is great machine with the correct blades. Each BOP deck size has a strong and weak point.

I now own all 3 deck sizes in the duallys. Whoever person or manufacturer or Co. Etc ....can consider buying or partnering up with Gary can do so with confidence that the mower line has a definite niche in the market. Smaller and lighter for comparable deck size and the ease of use with the dual hydros....etcetera

The wet damp grass issues still shadows these mowers however running the proper blades makes all.the difference in the world.

:waving:
Posted via Mobile Device

While I haven't had any "real" issues with the deck. The newer blades they came out with solved any minor problems I had. I love the compact size and the cut and striping is as good as my Scag.

Sammy
06-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Sounds like you guys need to unload those BOP mowers ASAP while they still are running.

Richard Martin
06-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Whoever person or manufacturer or Co. Etc ....can consider buying or partnering up with Gary can do so with confidence that the mower line has a definite niche in the market.

The problem is the niche is so small. Over what? 7 or 8 years they only sold a few thousand mowers at best. In a country that has in excess of 300 million people that is considered a huge failure. And it should be pretty obvious that they weren't making enough money at the price point they had.