PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Mowing Bidding

osmann_lawn
02-11-2012, 03:17 AM
I am new to the commercial bidding. How much more do you charge compared to residential mowing? I was wondering what you guys charge per acre? i know there are a lot of factors that include in the price such as time, trimming, edging & blowing clippings. I kind of go by the rule $1.00 per min. Its seems to be pretty accurate way of figuring out a price. Let me know what you guys charge for a 1 acre lot.

Thanks!

ROC lawn and landscapes
02-12-2012, 04:06 PM
I am new to the commercial bidding. How much more do you charge compared to residential mowing? I was wondering what you guys charge per acre? i know there are a lot of factors that include in the price such as time, trimming, edging & blowing clippings. I kind of go by the rule $1.00 per min. Its seems to be pretty accurate way of figuring out a price. Let me know what you guys charge for a 1 acre lot.

Thanks!

Its more like how much less do you charge for commercial properties.... sometimes its not that way but typically your not gonna get the same profit margin as you would for residentials. Sit down and run your number for each piece of equipment until you come up with what you absolutely have to have per hour then add on your percentage of profit... and dont forget to add in your monthly overhead (shop,phone,utilities, advertizing). When bidding commercial properties you need to be as efficient as possible (as efficient as your competition or they will probably beat your bid). Most people dont bid by the acre because there are a lot of variables that go in to figuring how long a specific job will take. Time estimations take alot of practice and record keeping. Everytime you mow a property make sure you write down how long it took you from start to finish (make a log). It will greatly help in the future. Make sure you are ready for the commercial side of this business. I wanted to bid on the mowing for a large highend apartment complex this year (had a very good chance at getting it since I have done previous work for the manager) but I had to decline because my company isnt ready for an account that large due to not enough manpower or equipment. It really hurt to decline a potential 30,000 dollar account but I rather have the chance in a year or two to give them a bid rather then to shoot myself in the foot and never get to bid it again.

osmann_lawn
02-12-2012, 04:09 PM
dang that sucks! i have the man power and ability to do the work. just didn't want to loose money.

martinlawn29
02-12-2012, 04:13 PM
you can look at it in many ways like whats it worth to you to do the job.
i try for 40 to 50 per guy per hour just all depends.
how open the job is
how much whiping is there
how long will it take to mow it
if its an hour job with 2 guys you will be safe at 80 to 90 per cut

andyslawncare
02-14-2012, 01:12 AM
we have a 1 acre residential that we charge $95/ service 31 times per year = 245.42/month + weed control + core aeration

CozyHollow
02-21-2012, 12:39 PM
we have a 1 acre residential that we charge $95/ service 31 times per year = 245.42/month + weed control + core aeration

This will be my first year in the Biz. I've talked with several Landscape Co. owners who tell me up here in the North East we are to typically charge $125.00 per acre. I worked several years in the Biz as a laborer back in the late 80's thru late 90's and the prices that were charged back then have practically doubled...just sayin'

Now as for the commercial buildings...I'm also told that THIS is the "bread and butter" of your company. The guy I work with at my day job has been at going on his 4th year. He works a day job and has 2 guys running his Landscaping Biz. He has a commercial property he maintains year round that brings him $120,000.00 yearly income. He also has over 70 residential as well. He tells me after ALL (maintenance, laborers, etc.) is paid out...he walks with $3,100.00 a week in his pocket. Where I live there are medium to high income residential properties and meeting with my coworker and looking at a property I asked "what would you charge?" (I was thinking $40.00) He said without a thought "$65.00". (It looked to be @ 1/3 acre) Man was I surprised!

Hey, I'm as "green" as they come on the business owning side. Starting small with everything I need equipment wise paid for in cash. No credit cards or debt here and I talk to and ask everyone I see "out and about" who is pulling a trailer with lawn equipment...so far I'm getting just about the "same" input whoever I ask.

lawnlandscape
02-22-2012, 10:57 AM
lol... your original post... 'how much more do you charge?'

We make less on our commercial properties and charge less

1) Its more competitive
2) Personal Relationships matter less and price matters more
3) Commerical properties are often (generalizing) easier to mow with more open spaces, so they can be larger but take the same amount of time as a much smaller home lawn.

justinnielsen11
02-29-2012, 11:37 AM
you can look at it in many ways like whats it worth to you to do the job.
i try for 40 to 50 per guy per hour just all depends.
how open the job is
how much whiping is there
how long will it take to mow it
if its an hour job with 2 guys you will be safe at 80 to 90 per cut

You wouldnt get 40 in grand rapids michigan . rates here are 35 per man for a 60" mower and one man weed whiping and edging . even large companys ive seen their bids at 28 an hour. a good two man crew should get close to 500 a day (250 a person) would be a goal . theres so much competion and prices just keep going down. 35 is a good number for any service plus a small disposal fee if your removing any thing .

martinlawn29
02-29-2012, 12:11 PM
You wouldnt get 40 in grand rapids michigan . rates here are 35 per man for a 60" mower and one man weed whiping and edging . even large companys ive seen their bids at 28 an hour. a good two man crew should get close to 500 a day (250 a person) would be a goal . theres so much competion and prices just keep going down. 35 is a good number for any service plus a small disposal fee if your removing any thing .

You can get 40 ..35 is not bad watch your gas cost don't base your price on any BIG LCO in GR ...Set your price let your work talk for its self don't low ball go high-end you will get the work it will take time. 45 to 55 per man hour for cleanups too. Your rie about pricing going down the pooper to many guys out there think they know what there doing. POP UP company's here today gone tomorrow. I would agree with 500 a day but how nice is 300 or even 350 a guy. You of coures can not do that all over. Just my tughts good luck guys :)

crazymike
02-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Calculate your cost per man hour

Calculate how long it will take you

Add your profit margin

Add some money for incidentals.

Calculate it all together and you have it.

Around here, commercial rate is about $35-50 a man hour. Residential is $50-$60.

When you calculate your overhead for commercial make sure to allow for things such as interest, etc... because commercial accounts generally take longer to pay.

CozyHollow
02-29-2012, 07:16 PM
10 lawns a day @ $40.00 a lawn x 5 days a week. $400.00 bucks a day. $2,000.00 a week. That's starting at 8am and finishing at 4pm.

In actuality, 15 lawns in an 8 hour day at $40.00 a lawn, $600.00 a day is my goal money wise. That's $3,000.00 a week...but I'm going to be focusing on larger lawns so $40.00 is just a simple place to start.

SURE it will take time...but I'm remaining optimistic. I'm gonna make bank with general lawn maintenance (Cut, edge, trim, blow, shrub trimming, small tree removal and trimming, some planting, mulching, clean outs included). Banking on $120,000.00 (gross) a season with some bundled wood for winter. 20"x20" across, wrapped in plastic, at 16" to 20" lengths for $15.00 a bundle, weighs about 60lbs. Along with 8" to 10" lengths at $10.00 per bundle, weighs about 45lbs. per bundle. Made $800.00 cash this past winter and only advertised on Craigslist. Taking the bundled market by STORM.

Say what you will...I'm gettin PAID! or I wouldn't be wasting my time.

CozyHollow
02-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Oh yeah, the mulch jobs and trimming shrubs will be added cost AND on my Saturdays...clean outs will be before cutting season and at the end of cutting season. It's such a no brainer after finally getting down lot size costs and somewhat of an hourly wage when it comes to mulching, shrub trimming, planting, etc. and clean outs.

Mahoney3223
02-29-2012, 07:55 PM
$125 per man hour?? Are you a doctor? I'm moving where they pay that.

crazymike
02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
10 lawns a day @ $40.00 a lawn x 5 days a week. $400.00 bucks a day. $2,000.00 a week. That's starting at 8am and finishing at 4pm.

In actuality, 15 lawns in an 8 hour day at $40.00 a lawn, $600.00 a day is my goal money wise. That's $3,000.00 a week...but I'm going to be focusing on larger lawns so $40.00 is just a simple place to start.

SURE it will take time...but I'm remaining optimistic. I'm gonna make bank with general lawn maintenance (Cut, edge, trim, blow, shrub trimming, small tree removal and trimming, some planting, mulching, clean outs included). Banking on $120,000.00 (gross) a season with some bundled wood for winter. 20"x20" across, wrapped in plastic, at 16" to 20" lengths for $15.00 a bundle, weighs about 60lbs. Along with 8" to 10" lengths at $10.00 per bundle, weighs about 45lbs. per bundle. Made $800.00 cash this past winter and only advertised on Craigslist. Taking the bundled market by STORM.

Say what you will...I'm gettin PAID! or I wouldn't be wasting my time.

exactly, valuing yourself at $75 (add extra time it's probably less, but still) an hour and you're making good money.

Now imagine if you valued yourself at $150 an hour. You would 1/3 of the work and make way less money.

Salcido Lawn
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
I charge approximately $30 per man hour, but with that I am clearing about $10k a month! I have 9 employees and I just manage them and check up on their work. I work about 4 hours a day & personally make about $500 a day. I make approx. $2,300 a day gross.
Posted via Mobile Device

martinlawn29
03-04-2012, 12:27 PM
I charge approximately $30 per man hour, but with that I am clearing about $10k a month! I have 9 employees and I just manage them and check up on their work. I work about 4 hours a day & personally make about $500 a day. I make approx. $2,300 a day gross.
Posted via Mobile Device

so your ripping 46k a month ? how many cutting crews and is that just in mowing? how many cutting months do you get in TX is it all year ?
I love to have mowing cleanups and plowing gives us a change i always wondered if you boys in the south cut all year..?:)

Salcido Lawn
03-04-2012, 12:43 PM
4 mowing crews. Most of that is mowing, with some extra work. We pretty much mow year around. Every once in a blue moon, we have a snow/ice event. When that happens, I really bank!! I made $20k in a week last year!
Posted via Mobile Device

martinlawn29
03-04-2012, 12:56 PM
yea we do numbers like that with snow ..I dont talk numbers but sounds like you are doing well. good luck this year !

Salcido Lawn
03-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanx, you 2!
Posted via Mobile Device

Green Skapes
03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
I charge the same rate for both residential and commerical customers. We know what we have to make to turn a profit and that doesn't change with residential or commercial properties. Generally with commercial properties, there are many other variable when quoting. I have yet to pick up a commercial property that just wants me to mow. It's the mowing, spring/fall clean-up/and bush trimming. Sometime fertilizing. We do commercial properties of all sizes and they range from $145/month to over $1,000/month. Price it where YOU need to make money and sell your service and what YOU can offer. Don't be a low-baller!:usflag:

CozyHollow
03-06-2012, 04:44 PM
...Don't be a low-baller!:usflag:

That is SO key...

Grassmaster9
03-10-2012, 12:49 AM
I know several people in the business. The going rate here is $45-$60/hour per person. Bid it like you want it. If you really want it, go for the lower end. If it's undesirable work or if your not really looking for more work, bid the higher end.

CozyHollow
03-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I know several people in the business. The going rate here is $45-$60/hour per person. Bid it like you want it. If you really want it, go for the lower end. If it's undesirable work or if your not really looking for more work, bid the higher end.

Man I like the way you see and do things bro! :clapping:

I'm down with that input...

Grassmaster9
03-10-2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks man. Glad I could help. Good luck to you. You will do fine.

grassmasterswilson
03-11-2012, 07:36 PM
figuring your per hour charge isn't hard. the hard part is estimating the job in terms of number of hours it will take. If you have a 1 acre residential that takes 1 hour to do, then a 4 acre hour is not going to take you 4 hours in reality. There will be more open area and probably less trimming.

Also take into count that you will be at the job longer and then won't have the drive time or loading/unloading.

The key to making money in this business is working hard and being efficent.