PDA

View Full Version : need help looking at a gmc deisel

brianslawncare
02-11-2012, 10:26 AM
can someone give me some advice. im looking at a 04 gmc 4x4 4door deisel. it has a 130k on it and the price is 11000.the guy said the injectors were replaced at 10k miles ago. im not sure what to check for on a deisel. thanks

brianslawncare
02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
noone can give me some help??????????????

4 seasons lawn&land
02-12-2012, 04:24 PM
gigantic truck that cant haul much legaly. Cant really think of anything it would be good for.

Jimslawncareservice
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM
Tell him you want a mechanic of your choice to look at it. Pay them to go over the truck. Most likely there isn't much if anything wrong with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Valk
02-12-2012, 05:17 PM
It's def worth the cost of having a competent mechanic give you his opinion...he'll know what to look for.

westcoh
02-12-2012, 06:28 PM
If it's a 2004, it could be either an lb7 or lly duramax. The lly has more hp/torque and there were some siginificant changes from the earlier lb7. Check the eigth digit of the vin:
1=lb7
2=lly

The lb7 had well known injector problems, and replacing the injectors on these trucks is not cheap. If they've just been replaced hopefully it won't be an issue for you.

I have a 2005 with the lly and it's a solid truck. Some people have complained about the lly over-heating, but it's never been an issue for me. I have about 155,000 miles on mine and I'm planning on running it for a lot more.

JMK Lawn Service
02-13-2012, 01:25 AM
Duramax anything is a good idea. My brother, my dad, and several of my friends and i have them. awesome trucks. Either of the motors (LB7 or LLY) are good motors. The LB7 did have injector issues but if they have been replace, good. The LLYs get very good milage. Either will get better milage than any gasser. especially the more you tow with it the better fuel milage you will get compared to a gasser. It will do good just pulling mowers or pulling mulch and heavy machines. Sounds like a good deal, never a bad idea to have a mechanic check it out. check fluids and make sure the guy took care of it and what he used it for. Driving to grocery stores or drag racing it. Check for modifications. Exhaust, intake, programmers stuff like that. Good luck

JSW Development
02-16-2012, 09:18 PM
I've got an 02 4x4 with the lb7. The Allison will burn up prndl ( neutral safety ) switches, the transfer case has a problem called pump rub. Google it so you know the signs. There will be a pin hole at the back of the transfer case. It's a problem that almost all of them have. Costs about $500 to fix if you can do it yourself. The motors have tons of power, the trannies tow mode is the best available, and it tows an s300 skid loader great. Injectors are a major problem with the lb7. Even if you replace them, they will go bad again after about 60k. Changing the fuel filter every 15k helps.

JMK Lawn Service
02-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I've got an 02 4x4 with the lb7. The Allison will burn up prndl ( neutral safety ) switches, the transfer case has a problem called pump rub. Google it so you know the signs. There will be a pin hole at the back of the transfer case. It's a problem that almost all of them have. Costs about $500 to fix if you can do it yourself. The motors have tons of power, the trannies tow mode is the best available, and it tows an s300 skid loader great. Injectors are a major problem with the lb7. Even if you replace them, they will go bad again after about 60k. Changing the fuel filter every 15k helps.

Yeah i forgot about the pump rub. If it hasnt happend yet, you can get a pump rub kit from Merchant Automotive, out of Michigan. The kit is under $200 im pretty sure. either way its a good idea to get it for those trucks.

JSW Development
02-16-2012, 11:45 PM
Yeah my $500 number was also including the rear case half. They make fix-it kits as stated by jmk that will prevent the pump from eating through the case.
Posted via Mobile Device

PlantscapeSolutions
02-19-2012, 02:34 AM
If you really want to know what kind of shape the engine is in taking an oil sample to have it analyzed is the ultimate test. I would recommend having an Airdog or FASS installed to increase you fuel filtration and to remove the entrained air from the fuel to make the injectors last longer.

Cummins343
02-19-2012, 02:50 AM
Great truck! I've got an 06, and I've put 191k on it and the only problem i've ever had was the water pump going out, which usually happens on duramaxes. But other than that water pump, the truck is solid.

brianslawncare
02-19-2012, 12:51 PM
thanks guys.

AuburnHort2005
02-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I would get 06 and up and LBZ and newer engine code. I have an 06 LBZ and love it. I ordered it and the salesman ordered the LBZ in it luckily and not the LLY that some 06s came with. I get on duramaxforum.com a lot and see a lot of posts about some 06 and mostly 05 and older non LBZ engines going through injectors like crazy. Oh yea, and the manual mode 6 speed transmission is great too.