PDA

View Full Version : Minor Tree Work/Service

DSLND
02-11-2012, 08:10 PM
I have been pondering the thought for quite some time now about moving into the tree work a little more. Especially after this dry winter, I really think it could be a profitable area to get more into.

In this past year, and years before that, I've subbed the tree work out. I'm looking at my books now and last year I subbed out $10k worth of tree work including tree trimming/topping, tree removal, and stump grinding.

Now I don't want to get into the whole tree climbing, take down, etc. but I would like to get more into the minor pruning, smaller tree removal, and especially stump grinding.

I discussed this with my insurance agent and he :laugh::laugh: because of the rate he thinks it could end up being. I figured if half the stuff I subbed out was minor tree pruing (done with a pole saw, fallen tree branch removal, and stump grinding) then I could have effortlessly grossed $5k. Thats without advertising or marketing. Seems like more and more people are asking about the tree work from me as I continue to grow.

How many of you guys who do the mowing, landscaping, etc. offer minor tree work including stump grinding? I'd really like to hear some opinions on this. If no other, I'd love to get into the stump grinding, thats something I'm always subbing out and they honestly make good money IMO (and I know the machines are $$$$).

-Mitch-

KrayzKajun
02-11-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm venturing more into tree work. In louisiana you have to be a licensed arborist. Even to do small jobs you have to carry the same licenses as the big guys. I've got my state Arborist license & plan to get my ISA Cert this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Smallaxe
02-12-2012, 12:17 PM
As a landscaper, doing stuff since High School for other people, I've never separated tree pruning from bush pruning; my words to the clients were either, "I can do that! :)", or "better call a tree guy :(."

Safety was the only issue...

Profit wise, your operating cost are going to go way up , and that simple $5K will be supporting lots of other people, insurance being only one.

Dr.NewEarth
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I don't know what you know about pruning. Do a search of "Dr. Alex Shigo" That will put you on the right track as far as correct pruning methods and tree care techniques.

The International Society of Arboriculturists ISA, also has information.

By the way, the ISA doesn't advocate "Topping Trees" particularly coniferous ones.

We do the smaller stuff, but sub out the climbing and large removals. The insurance and compensation regulations are different for tree services than they are for landscape companies.

Landscapers here, can only go 12 feet off of the ground per workers compensation rules.

Dunlaps LawnCare
02-16-2012, 12:44 PM
i have always did Minor Tree Work i dig the stumps out with a buddy backhoe what you gotta remember tho do what it takes to get buy in are line of work buddy one of the top landscapers in are area told me a few years back do what it takes to make a dollor