PDA

View Full Version : below freezing temps

williams lcm
02-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Is it the below freezing temps or frost that cause damage(browing) to the grass? I had below freezing temps last night but no frost. Thanks

Landscape Poet
02-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Is it the below freezing temps or frost that cause damage(browing) to the grass? I had below freezing temps last night but no frost. Thanks

If you did have frost on the turf last night you most likely will not see the results of it until last night. Generally it is the frost settling that does the damage I believe and not so much just the cold temps. Also wind burn/damage is common and from when I was out last night I do not doubt we will see a bit of it as well as it was windy as heck.

Ric
02-12-2012, 10:42 AM

Mikey

I am a 100 +miles south and closer to water from you and I believe we just missed the freeze. Heavy winds last night helped stop any frost so my area just might of dodged the bullet.

Late Freezes on some plants after a warm winter can take a couple of years to fully recover. I have seen it happen back in either 1994 or 95?

billslawn89
02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
I think the worst is to come tonight. I hit around 37 last night, but tonight, its suppose to go to 30 for a couple of hours with light winds.

williams lcm
02-12-2012, 11:16 AM
Can running the sprinklers hurt or help protect the grass? I know they do this to the citrus to keep the fruit from going bad. I figured if you water the grass the ice might protect it. I might be wrong on this. Or is it best just to keep sprinklers off. I would really like to keep my grass nice and green as much as possible. Thanks

billslawn89
02-12-2012, 11:22 AM
from what I read and heard, unless you are running the sprinklers continuously, you can do more harm then good to the plant. time to cover them up to protect from frost. I just got my bermuda lawn looking green and like a carpet again, and back to brown it goes with a frost, not to mention my sickly looking royal palms, from the last freeze/frost.

zturncutter
02-12-2012, 11:34 AM
Bill is correct the water must be continuously and evenly applied or you will actually do more damage. I live in the sticks and my temp right now at 10:30 am is only 43, we could have damage similar to what Ric was talking about in earlier threads. A lot of citrus has started blooming out here and I don't want to even think about all the Oak and Maple leaves coming down again.

zturncutter
02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Updated forecast for tonight 29 degrees.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=27.17891247557853&lon=-81.9635009765625&site=tbw&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Ric
02-12-2012, 11:48 AM

When I had a nursery standard protocol was to run the sprinklers during the day to saturate the ground. Then turn them off at dark and try and cover as much as possible. The water helped hold the ground heat and stop minor frost and freeze. Citrus people do it different as do many others, but this worked for me.

zturncutter
02-12-2012, 11:57 AM

When I had a nursery standard protocol was to run the sprinklers during the day to saturate the ground. Then turn them off at dark and try and cover as much as possible. The water helped hold the ground heat and stop minor frost and freeze. Citrus people do it different as do many others, but this worked for me.

This is exactly what most home owners should do since they cannot run all of their irrigation zones at once.

Ric
02-12-2012, 12:02 PM
Updated forecast for tonight 29 degrees.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=27.17891247557853&lon=-81.9635009765625&site=tbw&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Zturn

I put my zip code in and the low tonight said only 34 PGI is 39 and Bill's Lawn is about as far north of me as you are east of me or about 8 miles. His area said 32 tonight.

Weather is always a crap shoot. All the forcasts in the world are not going to keep us from freezing. The tomato farmers are Praying their neighbor's crop freezes while theirs survives to be worth more money. When I was in the nursery business I prayed for about the same thing.

Keith
02-12-2012, 12:29 PM
The second night after a front passes is almost always the coldest. There is high cloudiness right now. And there was at 3am as well and it still got down to freezing. If the sky clears tonight the temp will sink like a rock after sunset. It's still a little breezy right now, but if it calms down in the evening there will be quite a bit of frost. I think Tuesday morning may be the really frosty one though. If this front had come through last month it might have compared to 83, 85 or 89. Especially if it had come in on a full moon.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
02-12-2012, 02:45 PM
National Weather Service just changed from Freeze Watch to Freeze Warning.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=FLZ061&warncounty=FLC027&firewxzone=FLZ061&local_place1=4+Miles+WNW+Nocatee+FL&product1=Freeze+Warning

Keith
02-12-2012, 04:10 PM
You still have high clouds down that way? It sure is here in north central. Wind out of the southwest??? None of this seems conducive to frigid air. I guess they know what they are talking about. But I'm not going to cover anything else up.

Keith
02-12-2012, 05:33 PM
I guess that was an anomaly. Wind is out of the north. The quicker it switches to NE, the better off we will be. 4:30pm, lots of clouds though.

zturncutter
02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Blue skies here, winds out of the NNE @ 5, IF they stay up probably no frost.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=34265

Johnagain
02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
I think it will be a hard freeze tonight. 8:15 and it's already 33 deg. Not a cloud in the sky. Going to turn on the last irrigation zone and run overnight to keep pipes from freezing. I think it might get down to 20-22.

Tri-City Outdoors
02-12-2012, 10:58 PM
31.5 degrees at 10pm looks like a long hard freeze tonight

Keith
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Still 41F here at my place. High clouds cleared out, but have moved back over after 10 pm. Not much breeze, but it's out of the east now. Humidity is up to about 70%.

GrassmasterB
02-12-2012, 11:38 PM
up here in north florida, it was 32 at 7:00. at 10:35 its 25 and headed to around 20 or upper teens. so much for the green grass. http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=30.292274851024256&lon=-81.90032958984375&site=jax&smap=1&marine=1&unit=0&lg=en

Florida Gardener
02-13-2012, 12:04 AM
It's crazy how much of a difference the 3 parts of Florida are. Here in north palm beach county(s fl) we are getting 46 tonight.
Posted via Mobile Device

Keith
02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Heck, outlying areas 10-15 miles from me routinely will be 20F when we never get below freezing.

zturncutter
02-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Got down to 31 overnight, luckily the wind picked up from the NE just a bit and we are back up to 35 about 12 miles ENE of Port Charlotte.

jvanvliet
02-13-2012, 08:12 AM
The weather in Florida is extremely prejudiced to location. We can have as much as a 10 degree difference within 15 miles, or rain across the street and bone dry on the other.

The Diamond is about 25 miles North of me and can freeze, while we haven't seen it touch freezing for about 20+ years.

Landscape Poet
02-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Here is what my front lawn looked like around 7:00 a.m this morning. This will slow things down and make a good lawn turd more money :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Ric
02-13-2012, 11:36 AM

The Freeze Missed my house and more than likely all my customers also. But I have a rule of thumb were I won't leave the house when it is 50 degrees or lower. I won't work outside in less than 60 degrees. OK you Yankees reading here can openly Laugh while crying deep inside because your are freezing.

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
We had frost here at the house just north of Tampa. Traffic is lighter so I am assuming its too cold for even the snowbirds to make their way to the breakfast buffets. Early day, heading off to the fair. No Krispee Kreme donut burger for me thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

billslawn89
02-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Frost on the truck and grass here this morning. Got to the freezing point and I can tell my green bermuda grass turning color already. I was suppose to go run my route this week too, some yards I have not been to in 2 weeks. You all know what grass that is, lol, bahia. Well, at least its sunny and about 65 degrees out now.

Ric
02-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Frost on the truck and grass here this morning. Got to the freezing point and I can tell my green bermuda grass turning color already. I was suppose to go run my route this week too, some yards I have not been to in 2 weeks. You all know what grass that is, lol, bahia. Well, at least its sunny and about 65 degrees out now.

Bill

I am Thinking you don't live 5 miles from me, 10 at the most. Kind of shows how selective Mother Nature can be with her house cleaning.

I say House cleaning because freezes help control exotic pests like Tropical Snakes as well as Plants. BTW the USDA has reclassified Cold Hardiness zones and we are not suppose to freeze being Zone 10A.

myblacktruck
02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
We just got back from vacation at Disney, and it was kinda funny to see people in heavy winter coats while we were in shorts and T-shirts on sat , and shorts and sweatshirts on Sunday. That was normal to us though it would be like the people north of us laughing at us for what we think is cold. We landed at the airport with a little snow on the ground and a wind chill of 17 sun night

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Here is what my front lawn looked like around 7:00 a.m this morning. This will slow things down and make a good lawn turd more money :clapping::clapping::clapping:

If my next door neighbor had grass like that brown mess to the right I'd build a wall too.:usflag:

Ric
02-13-2012, 08:09 PM
We just got back from vacation at Disney, and it was kinda funny to see people in heavy winter coats while we were in shorts and T-shirts on sat , and shorts and sweatshirts on Sunday. That was normal to us though it would be like the people north of us laughing at us for what we think is cold. We landed at the airport with a little snow on the ground and a wind chill of 17 sun night

Or Florida people laughing at you running around Naked in the Middle of Winter.

myblacktruck
02-13-2012, 08:29 PM
Or Florida people laughing at you running around Naked in the Middle of Winter.

Thats funny almost made me spit my pizza up:laugh:

Landscape Poet
02-13-2012, 08:57 PM
If my next door neighbor had grass like that brown mess to the right I'd build a wall too.:usflag:
That is actually a conservation lot to the right of me, not that with the amount of foreclosures that we have had in recent years has not made me want to build walls around some of them. That conservation lot is suppose to increase the value of my home, however I have found that it is essentially a breeding grown for common Bermuda that wants to make its way into my St. Augustine.:confused:

Keith
02-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Managed to get down to 32.5F No sign of any damage at my house. Well, couple of weeds in the Captiva got burned. Saw lots of burned bermuda around while driving. I'd like to have a couple more of these before it turns hot.

Florida Gardener
02-14-2012, 01:05 AM
Managed to get down to 32.5F No sign of any damage at my house. Well, couple of weeds in the Captiva got burned. Saw lots of burned bermuda around while driving. I'd like to have a couple more of these before it turns hot.

be happy you got those temps....we only had 46 which does nothing to the grass and plants.....

at this time of year, i just dont see any more cold snaps happening...i hope i get proved wrong.....

GrassmasterB
02-14-2012, 01:30 AM
last night in jacksonville, we bottomed out at 18 with frost. my yard turned back to mostly brown. its currently 32 with more frost in the forecast.whatever was still green will probably be brown tomorrow. was hoping for an early start to the 2012 season, but now i have to wait a few weeks for my lawns to recover. at least this last freeze might help with the mosquitos that have still been out, since we was below freezing for at least 12 hours.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 09:09 AM
be happy you got those temps....we only had 46 which does nothing to the grass and plants.....

at this time of year, i just dont see any more cold snaps happening...i hope i get proved wrong.....

I believe the statistical no freeze date here is March 15 - so we have a possibility for another month. Don't see it happening but with the north having such a mild winter - they very well could get a cold front that hits us as well in March.

The last round from what I have seen has not did much damage. I am getting ready to leave the house for the first time since the freeze so I will see more today.

In edit. The best thing it has done for us is lower the ground/soil temp....soil is currently sitting at 59 degrees....not idea for our southern turf vigor.