PDA

View Full Version : help wiyh hydro pump please

swoods33
02-12-2012, 09:11 PM
hope someone can help,I have been rebuilding a older exmark turf tracer and I have ran into a problem a wheel stopped turning.We found 2 stuck springs in the pump after freeing them and cleaning and a seal kit,proceeded to replace bearings in wheel motors.
ok now all was well for about a hour and noticed rt. wheel getting sluggish and slower to the point of at a low idle you can almost stop the wheel,not so much at a high idle. I have tried repeatedly to get any air out and now I have noticed more heat in the system than i care to feel.
Please help it's my only mower and i am just tring to get started with a small business.

I know most everyone says replace things but i can't afford the 600 for a new one and can't find anyone to rebuild or sale re mans,any other suggestions Thanks

sorry I knowmy grammer stinks

djagusch
02-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you clean the lines and wheel motor out really well? If not the pump is probably gunked up. Doesn't take much.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Did you clean the lines and wheel motor out really well? If not the pump is probably gunked up. Doesn't take much.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have flushed 4 quarts of oil through it and when it was apart cleaned both wheel motors and the one pump that had the stuck springs. I have also noticed that that the controls are very easy to squeeze,witch is nice buth the other side is normal feeling but a little more noisy. Makes no since to me. Could it be possible the springs in that cylinder block froze up again and creating a little cavition and the weak pressure like before. I only cleaned it up I did not replace it doing everything I can to spend as little as possible till I get more work and Mabey a new or at least a newer one and have this as a spare, but till then this is my only sorce of income. Thanks for any and all help
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Most likely the springs are shot. The other thing is the piston to bore shouldn't be swapped between them.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-14-2012, 11:35 AM
So each piston has its own home that it should go back in to.could this also be the creamy looking oil in the resivor or charge lines breaking down. If line are sucking closed couldn't this be part of the problem to. If so do they have to be replace with OEM or can I use other high pressure hose
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
02-14-2012, 12:37 PM
If a line is sucking closed....that's bad
Did you replace the hydro filter?
Creamy oil is air in the system.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
I have replace filter twice and ran 4 qts. of oil through it trying to flush it. It's pulling strait just weak at the low idle. Someone told me its moisture. So that's why I have been flushing with new oil. I am just lost.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-14-2012, 01:53 PM
New symptom - just noticed with machine turned off and in neutral the left wheel is real easy to turn not quite free wheel but not far from it. The rt one is hard to turn. Thought by pass screw was loose but it's not. Even swapped the screws and still the same. Wow what's next??
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Does the wheel motor turn freely with the hoses disconnected? If so the problem is in the wheel motor. I would recommend not running it too much trying to figure out what is going on, its just moving crap/filings around which isn't good.
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
02-14-2012, 02:57 PM
Is the left side pump the one that had the stuck pistons?
Sounds like they're stuck now, and pumping air into the left wheel motor.
Id look inside that pump again.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
Well I believe I figured it out,somehow during rebuild a poppet was left out of the side of valve body. Have no clue how but it's gone. Now the bad part is I can't get enough part numbers of the dang thing to find a new one. All I have is hydro gear 10L-117p and local exmark say not enough info. Holy crap what's next
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Well I believe I figured it out,somehow during rebuild a poppet was left out of the side of valve body. Have no clue how but it's gone. Now the bad part is I can't get enough part numbers of the dang thing to find a new one. All I have is hydro gear 10L-117p and local exmark say not enough info. Holy crap what's next
Posted via Mobile Device

BD-204 is the j thomas part number. Its $2.48 in the catolog. Shipping will be $10 so if you needs blades/belts/filters order those also. Do you have a j thomas catolog? If not go to their website and request a free one. You can order the parts online from them also.

Pretty sad the dealer can't figure out a simple hydro gear part.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks Gettin right On it
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks Gettin right On it
Posted via Mobile Device

Disclaimer, double check the part number etc before ordering. I picked it out by the discription on here, spring/ball assembly off the charge pump.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I am looking now. What I need runs of the side of pump their are two one on each side. Never been on this site and it doesn't help at all that there are no numbers on this mower. O what fun I have gotten my self into. This "hybrid " of mine is driving me crazy. Sure hope it runs half the year so I can up grade. LoL
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-14-2012, 10:53 PM
Then your talking another part. For hydro parts just search hydro gear 10L they don't break it down by toro, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-15-2012, 06:37 AM
I was on their web site found the pump and all but they showed 3 different sizes I have to get me a micromiter and do some measuring to get the right one. I know a local company that has a few junk stags and lessco going to see if any way might have the part to match. Knowing my luck it won't. Would you have any idea if you can mix a ball with the poppet or change it to both sides having a ball ?
Once again thanks for all your help. It has been amazing all the help I have been getting with this mower.
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
Did you lose a ball or a poppet?
I've seen the ball fall into the porting inside the head when attempting to install it.
This could explain why you had a hose collapse and why there was no ball when you pulled the relief valve.

swoods33
02-15-2012, 08:18 AM
Did you lose a ball or a poppet?
I've seen the ball fall into the porting inside the head when attempting to install it.
This could explain why you had a hose collapse and why there was no ball when you pulled the relief valve.

Poppet disappeared somehow I can't figure it out
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
02-15-2012, 09:49 AM
I guess its possible that the poppet fell into the ports before reaching its seat.
Stranger things have happened.
Im sure you would have noticed it missing when you installed it.......

swoods33
02-16-2012, 08:45 AM
Well I guess it just time to give up. Put a poppet in the pump fired it up for about 5 minuets and no different,the figured probably still had a little bit of air to get out. So I let it run in the house for about 5 min and come back out to smoke and hydro pushing out the vent hole in the cap for the tank. Shuit it off and it had gotten so hot I couldn't believe it. Now what It's for sure something wasn't right with the poppet I got. I suppose it's time for a stick of dynomite!!! What the crap was I thinking. Me a small business owner yeah right
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
The missing poppet is probably lodged in the head somewhere,
Or it traveled thru the head and is obstucting a hose, fitting, or wheel motor.
Time to take it apart and have a look.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Have you taken apart the pump since the first rebuild? if not that is what needs to happen to see what yoy can find.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Found the poppet stuck in the line for the wheel motor got it back together and presure still not right you can still stop the wheel at low idle and low speed. Got the wheel motor apart now and not finding anything wrong yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
If the poppet didn't get into the wheel motor, the wheel motor is probably ok.
The poppet obstructing the high pressure line would strain the pump and overheat it.
Is the pump groaning? If not ...try bleeding the hydro again...this time try to turn the wheel
Backwards while it is moving forward. This sometimes forces the pump to prime and bleed the air.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-16-2012, 07:32 PM
Found the o-ring that is in the washer on the tail end of the wheel motor ate up an off. I put the stupid thing in backwards. Boy I make one hell of a mechanic don't I. LoL. Hope Parker has one to fit. Find out in the morning. Thanks for all the help and support
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-18-2012, 08:06 AM
ITs ALIVE !!! The beast runs. Replace the Teflon washer al back together ,fluid and filter. Still has a little air in the other side but I am getting less and less air bubble every time I run it. Ran it up and down the street pulling very good now. Thanks to everyone who helped. This place has some great people. Now off to exmark dealer got to get someone with knowledge of these older machine so I can get about what year and model it is to get some belts all of the are oil soaked.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-18-2012, 08:29 AM
It sounds like you are going for cheap so ill give you short cut. You can take belts to the auto store and they can match them up normally. They will work but not constructed they same so they don't last as long normally. Also jthomas has decent belts cheaper than the dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-18-2012, 09:07 AM
I have a jthomas book was planning on using them but there are like 3 options for 52's and the main drive belt from engine to blade engagement is wrong so I was trying to find a starting point. Then I can order correctly. We also have a local company that Carries any belt and makes hoses at very good prices.
You are also correct on going cheap I am trying to go low budget and nurse it for a year and upgrade next year if I get enough bussiness,this is the plan. I did pick up a older scag maybe 03, this week for back up. Has a 09 15hp law 52. Runs very sweet. But momma told me know more. LoL. But as long as I get a little luck I am "ALL IN" on this and no body can say I haven't worked my rearend off to try and make it work. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
02-19-2012, 08:03 AM
If you're as tenacious in running your business, as you are in figuring out and fixing your mower,
You'll do just fine....glad we could help.
Posted via Mobile Device

swoods33
02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
LoL. I have been told of the years I run "90 or nothin". Hope it helps make things happen
Posted via Mobile Device