PDA

View Full Version : Trailer tires

JMK Lawn Service
02-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Searched around and found a few guys running Carlisle and marathons and having good luck with them. I got some junk tires that barely lasted one season. I have heard bad things about carlisle so i am leaning toward marathons. What are you guys running and where do you guys usually get your tires? Thanks a lot

StihlMechanic
02-13-2012, 06:30 AM
I run a brand called Triangle. I did some research on ST (trailer) tires and they had good reviews for wear and tear and durability. So far so good, they still look new and I curb check all the time. Spent nearly $400 for 3 tires ( one spare) after tax.

Trailer Parts Superstore
02-13-2012, 12:28 PM
What size tire are you using an ST205/75/R14?

Eastern

JMK Lawn Service
02-13-2012, 03:47 PM
I belive its a 205/75/15. I was also thinking about going up to 215/75/15, slow them down a little bit but then my ramp angle would be greater.
Ill have to look into the tirangles. Thanks

Trailer Parts Superstore
02-13-2012, 05:13 PM
With the difference in the weight capacity and overall diameter you are not going to notice much of a difference between the 205 and 215 series. The ST215/75/15 is not nearly as popular of a size so finding the 205's is going to be much easier if you are in a pinch. We offer the 205 in radial and bias ply if you are interested.

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/trailertires/

DoetschOutdoor
02-13-2012, 06:49 PM
The carlisle tires on my new enclosed didnt even last a year for the back axle tires! I go through alot of culdesacs where they drag alot but goll dang for as expensive as they are they shouldnt be SHOT after a year! I now run cheap cheap used tires on my trailers. Spent $40 on a used car tire from a local shop and it held up perfectly fine being on the back axle. No need for talk about safety issues here, tires have held up fine and much better than spending $130 on a tire and having it get nails or beat up.

ParkWelding
02-13-2012, 08:25 PM
The carlisle tires on my new enclosed didnt even last a year for the back axle tires! I go through alot of culdesacs where they drag alot but goll dang for as expensive as they are they shouldnt be SHOT after a year! I now run cheap cheap used tires on my trailers. Spent $40 on a used car tire from a local shop and it held up perfectly fine being on the back axle. No need for talk about safety issues here, tires have held up fine and much better than spending $130 on a tire and having it get nails or beat up.

Just curious, do you have leaf spring or torsion axles?

GravelyGuy
02-13-2012, 09:03 PM
Trailer tires do not last, not even the good ones. Carlisle's are the worst.

Exact Rototilling
02-13-2012, 11:27 PM
What about putting truck tires and wheels on a trailer? Just truck tires of the same size?
Posted via Mobile Device

JMK Lawn Service
02-14-2012, 12:17 AM
What about putting truck tires and wheels on a trailer? Just truck tires of the same size?
Posted via Mobile Device

If i could find a good set the right size, i will buy them. Because they would look better and work better and last longer. BUT finding that would be way harder then just buying a decent set of trailer tires. Good idea though

Exact Rototilling
02-14-2012, 12:42 AM
If i could find a good set the right size, i will buy them. Because they would look better and work better and last longer. BUT finding that would be way harder then just buying a decent set of trailer tires. Good idea though

Actually I have tracked down P rated car.tires in the same size as my trailer but the load rating.is less. May have to look into this angle again and compare specs again.
Posted via Mobile Device

JMK Lawn Service
02-14-2012, 12:42 AM
LOADSTAR ST205/75D-15" Trailer Tire, Load Range C
this tire any good? looks like the tire i have and they suck!

DoetschOutdoor
02-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Just curious, do you have leaf spring or torsion axles?

To be honest, I'm not sure. Would leaf springs be like the springs on a truck? If thats the case, then they are torsion axles. 18' enclosed trailer. Along with the dragging of the azz end on the dual axle trailers, I kept having a problem with getting nails and other crap in the back tires. So now I use cheap used tires (inspecting them for no patches or dry rotting, etc.) and they seem to be holding up fine. Front tires on the enclosed trailer are perfect, back ones just didnt wear well at all when I bought it new.

jetta
02-28-2012, 10:04 AM
as i see it trailer tires have stronger side walls,, which may explain it being hard to find in trailer size.

Trailer Parts Superstore
02-28-2012, 11:47 AM
We are having a sale on all of the Goodyear tires and tire and wheel assemblies we offer.

http://www.easternmarine.com/GOODYEAR-MarathonTrailer-Tires/

ParkWelding
02-28-2012, 11:31 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure. Would leaf springs be like the springs on a truck? If thats the case, then they are torsion axles. 18' enclosed trailer. Along with the dragging of the azz end on the dual axle trailers, I kept having a problem with getting nails and other crap in the back tires. So now I use cheap used tires (inspecting them for no patches or dry rotting, etc.) and they seem to be holding up fine. Front tires on the enclosed trailer are perfect, back ones just didnt wear well at all when I bought it new.

Yeah, they would be like the springs on a truck. I only asked because it seems like I have done better over the years with tire wear on torsion axle trailers vs. leaf spring. I could go basically a whole year on cheap chinese 10 ply trailer tires on my 24' enclosed. Before that I would be eating up two sets a year of 16" 10 ply tires in what ever style I could get cheap (trailer tires, LT tires) on leaf spring open trailers.