PDA

View Full Version : Can I draw unemployment in the winter as a Solo?

WHIPPLE5.7
02-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I've got no idea but if I can draw unemployment when there is no work shouldn't I be doing it. I never see anyone talking about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Basically no. Do you realize who pays for the unemployment checks?

Tyler7692
02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
That's because you can't do it.

Landrus2
02-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I've got no idea but if I can draw unemployment when there is no work shouldn't I be doing it. I never see anyone talking about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

You can if you work for your company as an employee :laugh:

JB1
02-13-2012, 10:49 AM
probably can

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 10:50 AM
UE is a type of insurance paid for by employers and subsidized by tax dollars. The rate an employer pays is also variable by the number of claims a company has. Since you can't pay into it on yourself, the answer is no. You might be able to file based on a previously held job, but not likely.
Posted via Mobile Device

ncls
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
In Ohio, your business keeps a zero account. If the previous year the state paid 5000 to someone for unemployment, and you only had 3000 in your account, your rates went up to the 5000 amount, plus they re coup the extra 2000.
The short answer is yes you can, but it's your money they make you pay in.

wbw
02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
It depends.

djagusch
02-13-2012, 11:10 AM
UE is a type of insurance paid for by employers and subsidized by tax dollars. The rate an employer pays is also variable by the number of claims a company has. Since you can't pay into it on yourself, the answer is no. You might be able to file based on a previously held job, but not likely.
Posted via Mobile Device
The only way I see the gov subsidizing it is if they payout claims and the employer goes out of biz. Without any unemployment claims my rate has gone up due to other biz claims. Who knows how much they take out of the funds for admin costs.
In Ohio, your business keeps a zero account. If the previous year the state paid 5000 to someone for unemployment, and you only had 3000 in your account, your rates went up to the 5000 amount, plus they re coup the extra 2000.
The short answer is yes you can, but it's your money they make you pay in.
This is how it's been explained to me for MN/WI also. It also shows how the employer pays for it directly.

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Of course the federal government subsidizes it. Who do you think paid for the benefits when Congress extended the time you can collect.
Posted via Mobile Device

djagusch
02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Of course the federal government subsidizes it. Who do you think paid for the benefits when Congress extended the time you can collect.
Posted via Mobile Device

All the federal government does is spend someone else's money.

They may pay for it up front but don't believe for one second they won't increase our rates to pay for it. And ever dollar that goes into the gov comes out less than a dollar because it costs them to handle it, borrow it, etc.

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Of course it's our money their spending. It ticks me off when someone asks if they can use my tax dollars for a winter vacation.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass-scapes
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
I, too, am an employee of my business. I pay unemployment on my paycheck earnings. NC said I am NOT exempt from paying UI for me, but I am exempt from claiming unless the company goes out of business.

my FUTA is double this year because NC didn't pay back the feds for money borrowed to extend claims last year.

djagusch
02-13-2012, 12:19 PM
my FUTA is double this year because NC didn't pay back the feds for money borrowed to extend claims last year.

Just proof of the employer paying for the dumb politicans vote buying.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Obama subsidizes it. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

djagusch
02-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Obama subsidizes it. Don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Wait until you have unemployment insurance for employee's then you will understand who real pay's for it. It is the employers not Obama's magic wand.

turf hokie
02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
Wait until you have unemployment insurance for employee's then you will understand who real pay's for it. It is the employers not Obama's magic wand.

exactly, we got a surcharge in January...retroactive for the entire 2011 year, payable all at once, to cover the cost of Obama's wonderful unemployment extension.......

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 05:17 PM
Perhaps this will help explain how every taxpaying employer and employee contribute. Whether we like it or not.:usflag:

http://www.ehow.com/info_7754084_actually-pays-unemployment-benefits.html

Patriot Services
02-13-2012, 05:24 PM
In the end here is the answer the OP. As usual it depends on location and circumstances.:usflag:

http://www.ehow.com/info_8606442_can-unemployment-selfemployed-contractor-work.html

jsf343
02-13-2012, 05:39 PM
in Oregon you can... IF... IF you are incorporated. As others have mentioned though it has its drawbacks, the biggest of course is your rates you pay will go up.

In the end I am not sure why you would want to, just stretch your contracts out to 12 months and that allows you income year around.

LindblomRJ
02-13-2012, 06:59 PM
First question you ask... Did you pay in unemployment insurance? As a business owner I doubt you did. Simple answer is no.