PDA

View Full Version : Hedge Trimmer sharpening tool

piston slapper
02-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Finally got around to taking a few pics on sharpening hedge trimmers.
You can buy the belt sander at Northern Industrial tools .Cost about $65.
Be sure to buy extra belts as it only comes with 2.
It may take you a few belts to get comfortable with it..

Offset the blades and sand the blade edge....once its shiny ,its sharp.
When you get all the edges you can get to, rotate the blades and get the rest of them.
Dont forget to snug the adjustment bolts.....not so tight that the blades dont rotate.

Landrus2
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Nice tool I use a disk grinder on mine

grassman177
02-13-2012, 01:33 PM
by damn, if i would have known about those, i would have got one instead of the 90 degree angle triangle vibratory sander i got. it works well, but that looks better!!!!! howmuch>?

dutch1
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice get up, Slapper. I gave some thought to one of those back in my shop days but passed on the idea thinking clearances might be a problem. Of course, when you're dragging in the big $$$ or you get the shop to buy one, it's easier to take a chance!:laugh:

I've tried about every thing possible--carbide bits, 4" air disc grinder, etc. I've finally settled on the miniature 1/16"x3" cut off wheels in a right angle die grinder. Offset the blades as you pictured and use the side of the cut off wheel. It sure cuts the job down to size--using a carbide bit was too time consuming.

piston slapper
02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Nice get up, Slapper. I gave some thought to one of those back in my shop days but passed on the idea thinking clearances might be a problem. Of course, when you're dragging in the big $$$ or you get the shop to buy one, it's easier to take a chance!:laugh:

I've tried about every thing possible--carbide bits, 4" air disc grinder, etc. I've finally settled on the miniature 1/16"x3" cut off wheels in a right angle die grinder. Offset the blades as you pictured and use the side of the cut off wheel. It sure cuts the job down to size--using a carbide bit was too time consuming.

How did you know I got the boss to buy it?....actually got them to buy one for the shop and one for myself. With extra belts of course.:cool2:

It only takes about 5 mins to completely sharpen a set of blades.
Sanding only takes off the leading edge and never gouges the blade.

Still looking around to see what tool the shop might need next....

BigFish
02-13-2012, 03:09 PM

Bingo!! Yeah, that's definitely the hot set-up. It's what I've used for quite a while. I usually use a big 3/4" dia carbide cylinder burr for mower blades. You can lay into 'em and no burn.

piston slapper
02-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Fish...I used to use a die grinder , but it seemed to eat too much off the blades.
The expense of replacing the blades and the labor to do it was a good money maker when I ran a repair shop.
Now that I'm on the other side of the counter,I'm trying to earn that big paycheck,and save the boss a few bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-13-2012, 07:34 PM
Anybody ever try using a Dremel hand tool with the sand tip?

WhitakerServices
02-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I usually just go old school and use a file

StihlMechanic
02-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I absolutely hate sharpening hedge trimmer blades. Usually the blades are just fine but coated in sap, so I soda blast them and they come out looking like new. Nicked and dull blades I use my chain sharpener set at 0 degrees. I have thought about buying that tool, looks like it works well.

LCPullman
02-17-2012, 02:22 AM

I use a dremel with a grinding tip, works quite well for me, probably not as fast though as what was mentioned above.

Patriot Services
02-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I use a dremel with a grinding tip, works quite well for me, probably not as fast though as what was mentioned above.

I used to use the little sanding drums. Now I have 5 different hedgers to maintain. I picked up one of those that Slapper has from Northern. should be much faster.:usflag:

piston slapper
02-17-2012, 08:54 AM
I used to use the little sanding drums. Now I have 5 different hedgers to maintain. I picked up one of those that Slapper has from Northern. should be much faster.:usflag:

It took me a few belts to get used to it....Found alot of things not to do with it.
Dont let the side of the belt catch the blade.
The tension screw needs to be snug but not too tight.
Thinking of installing an oring on the screw to allow the tension to increase as the belt stretches..
An interference thread would be perfect.
After sharpening a few trimmers....I dont know how I worked without it.
Takes about 5 minutes to sharpen a set...I have over 20 hedgers to keep sharp.

Patriot Services
02-17-2012, 09:01 AM
Im looking at it right now. The adjustment design could be better. :usflag:

Patriot Services
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Used it today, did great on all my equipment. Thanks for the tips slapper. Ran into a problem with father in-laws weedeater brand hedgers. The teeth are finer and the tool won't fit in well. I'm thinking this may relate to some commercial units as well. I know some brands have power shears and power pruners.:usflag:

piston slapper
02-19-2012, 07:57 AM
On the hedgers where the blades are too close,
Sharpen them from the side rather than over the top.
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
03-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Update....
Installed an Oring on the tension adjusting screw.....used it as a washer.
Problem solved...sharpened 5 hedgers without the screw backing off, as well as the tension remaining constant as the belt stretched.

Now if I could just stop being lazy and stop hitting the side of the belt against the sharp blade.

zspeed130
04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
Impressive inginuity! I took mine all apart last year and used a file! Time consuming and I put them back together wrong (DOH!)

Good post! (harbor freight has that belt sander cheap)

piston slapper
04-01-2012, 01:00 PM
Zspeed....does harbor freight carry the replacement belts....they have a local store in the area....
Posted via Mobile Device

zspeed130
04-04-2012, 01:36 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

piston slapper
04-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

What happened zspeed ?????
No lead in your pencil?????
Posting in your sleep??????

piston slapper
05-03-2012, 12:01 PM
The belt sander is on sale at Harbor Freight for $20.....till end of the month...
Looks the same in the ad....
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
06-11-2012, 07:26 PM

I've used it, but you have to be careful or you'll grind the blade down PDQ.