PDA

View Full Version : Keep and update or run til it dies 1988 F250 7.3 4x4

J.R. Services
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
I have a 1988 F250 4x4 7.3idi reg cab 5spd with a dump bed insert. Over the past couple years I have invested some decent money in the truck mechanically, brake lines, brakes, all new front end parts, exhaust, 4x4, all new steering assembly, pump, gear box etc... this truck is pretty much a beast, its done everything I ever asked it to, now its starting to show its age with typical ford fender rust, small hole in floor board, needs a new driver door, and a decent paint job, I only use it when I need it now b/c I'm almost embrassed to be seen with it, my other trucks are in nice shape. So I'm figuring on about 3-3.5k in body work and maybe 1k-2k in misc mechanical and interior upgrades to get where I would want it. so I guess I'm asking for your alls opinion on whether I should do that or just slap some bondo on it do a maaco paint job and just run for a few years or even get rid of it and buy another truck. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Danscapes
02-13-2012, 04:56 PM
If that 7.3 is a turbo, keep it. You won't find a better engine to put in a truck. As for body work, panels are cheap for those trucks and I would ditch the bed and build (or have built) a nice flat bed with stake pockets. Do some body work and send it to maaco. I've seen some pretty nice things come out of maaco. A GOOD paint job is 90% prep and body work and if you do it yourself you can make it nice, and save a ton.

Marek
02-13-2012, 05:03 PM
If the truck is tight , keep running it ! If your letting your guys drive it they will trash a new truck as fast as they will an old one.

J.R. Services
02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Some pics of the damage

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/reyncreed/IMG_20120213_172932.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/reyncreed/IMG_20120213_172917.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/reyncreed/IMG_20120213_172911.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

J.R. Services
02-13-2012, 06:36 PM
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/reyncreed/IMG_20120213_172855.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/reyncreed/IMG_20120213_172847.jpg

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w86/reyncreed/IMG_20120213_172842.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

DoetschOutdoor
02-13-2012, 06:40 PM
I would not feel comfortable putting 5 grand in that truck like you mentioned...sell it for a few grand and put that money towards a newer truck with less headaches. But only you know what will really work out best for you.

J.R. Services
02-13-2012, 07:06 PM
I also found a donor truck, with a solid body for 600, I could probably scrap what I don't use and break even. Then the body work would probably only be 1000 to 18000
Posted via Mobile Device

Deori
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
No offense, but I think you're making a bigger deal of it than need be. It's not going to win any beauty pageants, but it doesn't look THAT bad. It sounds like it's mainly a backup truck for you and especially if it's being driven by your guys and not you personally then there's no way I would dump 4-5 grand into it just to make it look nicer. If you plan on keeping it for years and years maybe, but it sounds like it's just old trusty dusty in your fleet and you'll probably get rid of it in 5 years or less. If it's mechanically sound I say keep it as your reliable backup and don't put anymore money into it than need be. Maybe pick up that donor truck for some cheap odds and ends.

People on here often make too big of a deal out of the looks of their work trucks some times or having all of their handhelds be the same brand so they "match", weird stuff like that. Believe me, your customers are NOT paying that much attention to your trucks and equipment. I think the only way they notice a beater truck is if it's BAAAADDD and even then they really don't care as long as you come out and do a good job. All they care about is the work getting done. Just my .02, good luck!

Marek
02-13-2012, 10:46 PM
You can buy beds for that truck all day long for 1k with a tail gate. Run that truck for another year or two. It will not loose much more in value

J.R. Services
02-13-2012, 11:23 PM
This reason I'm. Playing with this idea is because for past couple years I've been using my 1ton dodge to mow with, which I feel is kind of over kill even if I'm towing 2 kubotas and an exmark, but this year I'm looking to make my company more effiecent, so I want to try and run just a two man crew as much as possible, and I would like to keep my dodge for heavy loads and my 150 for estimating and small jobs, so I'm looking into the feasability of getting this truck "presentable" and using it to mow, I figure it could still last me awhile because our service area is pretty tight and we don't tack a lot of mileage a year. And I like having a dump bed with me for maintenance because you never what you'll need to haul and when.

Deori
I definitely get you're saying, I guess it is probably more for my satisfaction than anyone elses

Thanks for the opinions, keep em coming
Posted via Mobile Device

Swampy
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM
Honestly I'd keep it, when you stand back about 100ft do you see your rust problems? If your worried about image clean up the rust around the rear wheels and front fenders, and pick up some taller fender flares. Get a junk yard door, and shoot/roll on bed liner along the bottom of the panels. Take it to macko.

Deori
02-14-2012, 02:32 AM
Out of curiosity, how many miles on that truck?
Posted via Mobile Device

StihlMechanic
02-14-2012, 06:07 AM
I have a 1992 F250 with the 7.3 IDI (non turbo). Great truck, mine has 225k and runs perfect.
Personally I wouldn't drop one penny in it other than what it needs to start, run and drive safely. Its an old truck and you are in an area of the country where everything has rust, so it will get rust again one day no matter what money you throw at it now. Vehicles are the worst possible place to sink money, good money after bad. Drive it til it explodes.

Landrus2
02-14-2012, 08:26 AM
The 7.3 engine is great the body will fall off and the motor will keep going

clydebusa
02-14-2012, 09:02 AM
Do share with what decision you have made. I have chose to run older stuff in the last few years and believe I have made more money. The part of being embarresed would sway me to do something to update it. I agree with one statement of buying used bed and panels. Might take sometime but buy a truck down south and use the parts for yours. Good Luck

jsslawncare
02-14-2012, 10:28 AM
In the south we have plenty of these trucks that are still in good shape. Look on Craigs list and pick you one out, come and buy it. Get the body items you need, Maaco it and crush the donor truck. I would keep the truck until it dies and then I'd put a 6bt cummins in it.

ecurbthims
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
I just did a 97 chev plow truck that had a big dent in the box .I bought another truck for under $300.00 ,with a solid box,front fenders,doors ,toolbox ,hood ,350 ,used the parts I needed for my truck .sold a few odds and ends,then scrapped the rest of it for $400.00 .That truck is a perfect candidate for a $100.00 rustoleum paint job ,you can spray it or roll it on at home .

J.R. Services
02-14-2012, 03:52 PM
StihlMechanic
I personally like the 7.3idi better than the powerstroke. I turned my pump up a little and it has more than enough power.

Deori
The truck has right around 200k on it

JSSlawncare
I like your thinking

Lefet
02-14-2012, 04:03 PM
I would keep it. Do what I could via junk yard, or maaco on the inexpensive. I wouldn't dump 4-5k into it.

But I'd definately keep it, and no, it doesn't look THAT bad.

It's a work truck.

clydebusa
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
StihlMechanic
I personally like the 7.3idi better than the powerstroke. I turned my pump up a little and it has more than enough power.

Deori
The truck has right around 200k on it

JSSlawncare
I like your thinking

Same here I have a 94 with 240k and still has good compression.

unkownfl
02-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Just change and use good/appropriate coolant in the IDI for the cavitation issues. Bondo and weld the body and shoot some paint.

jp@absolute
02-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I agree keep the truck due some upgrades on it as the IDI motor it has in my opinion is the best diesel motor Ford ever put in the diesels those things will run forever with proper maintenance. I would pick that motor over any of the new motors out there!