PDA

View Full Version : Need help with pricing mulch by the quantity of yards

TimCFClandscape
02-14-2012, 12:01 AM
Hello, this is my first post in this forum and I'm excited to learn more and more! I'm stationed in Orlando and have done many mulch jobs, but think I might be missing out on some money. I had asked another landscaper in the past and he told me a good way to price it is about $65/yard for the 1-3 yards, and then drop it down to about $60/yard for say 4-9ish, and then bring it down a little more to $55/yard or so for 10+. After a little investigating on this site I've see people speaking of prices in the $80/yard range. Does anyone have any advice for a basic table I can use. **The job is 20 yards to be installed at a huge estate in Winter Park (big money area). Thank you so much in advance!

Dr.NewEarth
02-14-2012, 12:10 AM
I don't understand why he would decrease his price incrementally like that?

More mulch means more work, and the costs are still the same for labor and the product.

Landrus2
02-14-2012, 12:44 AM
What are the 20 yards going to cost you

Dr.NewEarth
02-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Just for reference, I pay wholesale $27.00 per yard. Plus $80.63 for delivery of up to a maximum of only seven metric yards per truck load. This is from my two closest suppliers.

So, $540.00 for the mulch and a whopping three 7 yard deliveries equals 241.89...=$781.89 plus we have 12 percent tax $93.82
Total for mulch is then $875.71 divided by 20 is $43.78 for a metric or cubic yard of mulch.
This is with a ten percent discount from the supplier too.

That's before I add on the labor, overhead, a return on investment and a profit.

The minimum I try to make per person, per hour of labor is 32.50.

Landrus2
02-14-2012, 01:22 AM
Just for reference, I pay wholesale $27.00 per yard. Plus $80.63 for delivery of up to a maximum of only seven metric yards per truck load. This is from my two closest suppliers.

So, $540.00 for the mulch and a whopping three 7 yard deliveries equals 241.89...=$781.89 plus we have 12 percent tax $93.82
Total for mulch is then $875.71 divided by 20 is $43.78 for a metric or cubic yard of mulch.

That's before I add on the labor, overhead, a return on investment and a profit.

The 250 for delivery is high on this job for you to make some money you got to charge 75-80 yard

TimCFClandscape
02-14-2012, 01:48 PM
Appreciate the responses guys! The price I'll pay per yard is $27.80 after taxes and $100 delivery/unloading with forklift. All in all that comes out to $656/20= 32.80 per yard delivered. Dr. NewEarth I just figured since they are getting a bigger quantity you could lower the price a little bit for them- I had no idea companies were charging as much as 75-80 per yard. I've been missing out on some money for awhile now (started the business with no prior knowledge in the industry). How long would it take 2 guys to spread all this if all the beds are pretty open and the wheelbarrels carry about 4-5 bags per load?

Dr.NewEarth
02-14-2012, 02:20 PM
Calculate how long it takes to do a round trip from the unloading point to each garden and back.

Also, make sure you write in your contract/and the client agrees to where the delivery will be put. You don't want some-one parking their car where you thought you would be starting from.

Some-times you lose alot of time having to carry the product from a far away spot that you didn't calculate or expect.

CUSTOMLAWN10
02-14-2012, 03:53 PM

Wow! You pay a ton for mulch. Is this just a hardwood or hemlock or what?

Dr.NewEarth
02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
I guess it's hemlock. It's expensive to live here. Every-thing is expensive, and customers don't want to pay what the work is worth.

We're paying for the winter olympics here besides...so that inflates alot of prices too.

CUSTOMLAWN10
02-14-2012, 04:16 PM
I guess it's hemlock. It's expensive to live here. Every-thing is expensive, and customers don't want to pay what the work is worth.

We're paying for the winter olympics here besides...so that inflates alot of prices too.

Well, I pay half that in 80 yd loads per yard, but our hemlock, which is glorified hardwood, stuill don't get it after 20 years, is comprable. One thing we do have in common is that people don't want to pay for the work, but that is the fun of the game. The ability to to sell ice to an eskimo. I still enjoy the challenge and the work at 43.

Dr.NewEarth
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
I brought in an 18 wheeler load of mulch one time, in the last century. Our mulch is bulk, not bagged by the way. We wheeled 75 wheelbarrows each a day for most of the week to install it. I do not recall what I paid.

Ever since, I only have the guys install a few yards by hand. For the big jobs I get a company to blow it in place. The mulch looks good and fluffy. It costs about the same once you figure in the labor...and the guys are much happier to do other tasks instead of hauling mulch and getting slivers.