PDA

View Full Version : What Would the Charge Be?

Landscape Poet
02-13-2012, 11:20 PM
What would the Charge Be? That is the question. You must Trim both these washies - the photos give you a idea how dirty they are to start. You must hual away the debris because of the large amount. The owner simply wants the cleaned up to allow no yellow or brown fronds...no need to clean up the trunk. You should be able to determine the amount removed from the color of the trunk
So the question is what do you charge?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/395262_390139414334284_100000146856528_1738332_1304524587_n.jpg

jvanvliet
02-14-2012, 05:45 AM
What would the Charge Be? That is the question. You must Trim both these washies - the photos give you a idea how dirty they are to start. You must hual away the debris because of the large amount. The owner simply wants the cleaned up to allow no yellow or brown fronds...no need to clean up the trunk. You should be able to determine the amount removed from the color of the trunk
So the question is what do you charge?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/395262_390139414334284_100000146856528_1738332_1304524587_n.jpg

How far to the dump and do you have a truck/trailer that'll haul the debris?

I'd charge $90 to clean both, plust trip to the dump and tipping fee.

Landrus2
02-14-2012, 07:12 AM
No less than 250 my price:weightlifter:

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 02:32 PM
How far to the dump and do you have a truck/trailer that'll haul the debris?

I'd charge $90 to clean both, plust trip to the dump and tipping fee.

So you are at $45 a tree with a additional charge for dump fees. Dump Fees I would say can vary from location to location as the Dump fees on this project were way higher than normal because of the location of the closet dump. So lets exclude the dump fees just your charge for trimming and removing to your trailer = whats the charge? . What would you guys charge? Waiting on others answers.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
No less than 250 my price:weightlifter:

Hmmmm - another Yankee landscaper wacking the hell out of my palms :nono::nono:.....I am going to have to pass Yank! HA

jvanvliet
02-14-2012, 04:23 PM
So you are at $45 a tree with a additional charge for dump fees. Dump Fees I would say can vary from location to location as the Dump fees on this project were way higher than normal because of the location of the closet dump. So lets exclude the dump fees just your charge for trimming and removing to your trailer = whats the charge? . What would you guys charge? Waiting on others answers.

They're not that dirty, we'd clean up both in under an hour and have the stuff loaded. A Sthil MS190 (now 192) makes quick work of those. $90 bucks, plus the trip to the dump and tipping fee.

01thump
02-14-2012, 05:00 PM
The company i work for right now is charging 75 a palm tree to trim them up and haul away ..we just did 96 at one location we used an electric boom lift (not the right peice of equipment for the job took way to long for set up) but needless to say...75.00 a palm and i have to say that is a fair price...if you think about the time it takes and the expense of the tools and man power and insurance and the whole picture ..thats a fair price..and i really do not care that it will take 30 to 45 minutes for two palms with clean up..1 poll saw 600.00 bucks ...just sayin..hope this helps.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 05:07 PM
They're not that dirty, we'd clean up both in under an hour and have the stuff loaded. A Sthil MS190 (now 192) makes quick work of those. $90 bucks, plus the trip to the dump and tipping fee.

True but think about this - the property owner allowed them to get this bad - so instead of paying for a service to keep neat - they felt the need to allow them to get this out of hand and then call you...you going to let that slide?

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
The company i work for right now is charging 75 a palm tree to trim them up and haul away ..we just did 96 at one location we used an electric boom lift (not the right peice of equipment for the job took way to long for set up) but needless to say...75.00 a palm and i have to say that is a fair price...if you think about the time it takes and the expense of the tools and man power and insurance and the whole picture ..thats a fair price..and i really do not care that it will take 30 to 45 minutes for two palms with clean up..1 poll saw 600.00 bucks ...just sayin..hope this helps.

Valid points. The use of a pole saw does make quick work of it indeed. This took roughly 25 minutes of trimming and maybe 25 minutes of clean up, but if I had not invested in that pole saw which as you stated runs around $6 beans - then it would of took much longer. I am entitled to make money off of my investment correct?
I would say $75 a palm that is high enough that you have to use a cherry picker or JLG lift is a outstanding deal and am assuming that price is because of the volume of trees you guys did - should this person get charged less because they have less work?;):hammerhead: I personally feel that they should pay more because they allowed them to get this bad....they should of hired a lawn turd to take care of on a more routine basis is my opinion if they wanted a smaller charge.
Anyone else out there want to inform us what you would charge? Anybody???????

jvanvliet
02-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Are they your clients? Or is it a one time deal?

unkownfl
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Ladder and hand saw. About 20 minutes each. I have a burn pit and a dump trailer I wait to get full before I make a trip to the nursery that takes my clippings. Only charges me 30 bucks for 5 tons. I'd do it and clean up the lower trunk for about $80 for the set.

Florida Gardener
02-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok, I think we beat a lot of this to death in the last palm thread. First, we need to determine size of palm, type, and how messy or clean it is. A queen or coconut that is done 2x/year properly that is 18-20 ft or less should take anyone with a good hand saw less than 10 min in the tree and maybe 5 more for cleanup. To charge someone $75 for this is ludacris. If that same queen palm hasn't been cleaned in 2 years, sure charge way more for it. If we are talking any Phoenix palm minus Pygmy date, I would charge minimum of $100 just to remove the fruits. Mike, those washy's aren't that bad and for what the customer wanted I would have charged $35-$40 per tree depending on if it is a good client or not. That would be to leave them curbside. If they want to take away, add those fees. Btw, you could have got an awesome pole saw for 1/3 of what you paid.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Ok, I think we beat a lot of this to death in the last palm thread. First, we need to determine size of palm, type, and how messy or clean it is. A queen or coconut that is done 2x/year properly that is 18-20 ft or less should take anyone with a good hand saw less than 10 min in the tree and maybe 5 more for cleanup. To charge someone $75 for this is ludacris. If that same queen palm hasn't been cleaned in 2 years, sure charge way more for it. If we are talking any Phoenix palm minus Pygmy date, I would charge minimum of $100 just to remove the fruits. Mike, those washy's aren't that bad and for what the customer wanted I would have charged $35-$40 per tree depending on if it is a good client or not. That would be to leave them curbside. If they want to take

He can charge whatever he wants for those palms, if he has work, jack the price, if not get in the market. I'm not going to debate it with him... it's a dead horse here.

A Silky or a power pole? If your going to clean those up with either, you'll be there a long time; ladder. saddle and a Stihl MS190: 10-15 minutes a tree top, loaded as the stuff is coming down, clean up 5-10 minutes, done. 25 - 40 minutes.

Florida Gardener
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
He can charge whatever he wants for those palms, if he has work, jack the price, if not get in the market. I'm not going to debate it with him... it's a dead horse here.

A Silky or a power pole? If your going to clean those up with either, you'll be there a long time; ladder. saddle and a Stihl MS190: 10-15 minutes a tree top, loaded as the stuff is coming down, clean up 5-10 minutes, done. 25 - 40 minutes.

Silky. Power pruners are a waste of money to me. If I am doing a palm, I'm on a ladder in the tree. You can't successfully remove fruits while keeping live fronds from the ground with a polesaw. I strictly use hand saws on palms. Then again, I only do ones for regular customers that are done more than once/year.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
02-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Silky. Power pruners are a waste of money to me. If I am doing a palm, I'm on a ladder in the tree. You can't successfully remove fruits while keeping live fronds from the ground with a polesaw. I strictly use hand saws on palms. Then again, I only do ones for regular customers that are done more than once/year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Power pruners have their place. I take care of a lot of oaks that need the use of a power pruner. I would have to carry a pretty large A frame to get to it with a hand saw. A hand pruner is to hard to use on small limbs that move when trying to saw.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Are they your clients? Or is it a one time deal?

One time deal.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 06:05 PM
IF you guys do not think those are dirty - I simply do not know what to say. Do you know how much stuff can be living in those things, not to mention the fact if you get hit by one - it is not a good thing.

Florida Gardener
02-14-2012, 06:08 PM
IF you guys do not think those are dirty - I simply do not know what to say. Do you know how much stuff can be living in those things, not to mention the fact if you get hit by one - it is not a good thing.

From the pics I didn't see any brown fronds. What do you consider dirty? You said the person didn't request cleaning up the trunk so all you needed to do is remove fronds....using a pole saw on these is hard. Get in the tree with a handsaw.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
02-14-2012, 06:09 PM

If you use a hand saw and work on the backside of the tree you will not get hit. If you rope the tree and drop the frowns you won't break any windows or damage plants too. If you drove a truck with a real bed you could haul 10 trees worth of palms in the back LOL. It saves a lot of room if you cut the branches off the frowns themselves. I don't leave debris at the curb at customers houses. It's against city and county ordinances.

01thump
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Wow strong posts from everyone ...i guess it comes down to what do YOU want to charge them for the palm work there really is no scale to justify the correct charge for this job or any job for that matter...charge what you think they will pay and you can cover your expenses and make a few bucks then sit back and listen to people tell you how ludicrous 75 a palm is or how cheap 75 a palm is or what tool to use to do the job and how you over paid for the tool you are doing the job with....lol

Florida Gardener
02-14-2012, 06:30 PM
If you use a hand saw and work on the backside of the tree you will not get hit. If you rope the tree and drop the frowns you won't break any windows or damage plants too. If you drove a truck with a real bed you could haul 10 trees worth of palms in the back LOL. It saves a lot of room if you cut the branches off the frowns themselves. I don't leave debris at the curb at customers houses. It's against city and county ordinances.

We have it good down here. Most areas you can leave vegetation. Some neighborhoods pick up vegetation 2x/week.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
Wow strong posts from everyone ...i guess it comes down to what do YOU want to charge them for the palm work there really is no scale to justify the correct charge for this job or any job for that matter...charge what you think they will pay and you can cover your expenses and make a few bucks then sit back and listen to people tell you how ludicrous 75 a palm is or how cheap 75 a palm is or what tool to use to do the job and how you over paid for the tool you are doing the job with....lol

Kind of my point - it is all over the board what you will get charged. And this is from professionals on this forum that actually take the time to read and contribute here. Imagine what Hose A and Hose B would charge.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 06:47 PM

I can assure you that you are not fitting what came off those two trees in any pickup bed. You are working in Orange County not city of Orlando now right? The city does not like stuff left but Orange does not have any issues if bundled properly which in this case is why they got hauled off, too much labor to tie them all up.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 06:48 PM
From the pics I didn't see any brown fronds. What do you consider dirty? You said the person didn't request cleaning up the trunk so all you needed to do is remove fronds....using a pole saw on these is hard. Get in the tree with a handsaw.
Posted via Mobile Device

Let me see if I can find a dirty photo of them for you. Then I think you will see what I am talking about dirty.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 06:53 PM
This dirty enough for you guys? This is obvious neglect and nasty things are waiting for up inside there. In fact the front one appeared to have what appeared to be a vacant rats next. Yuck - but coons, snakes, spiders etc etc all kind of good things await you in something like this.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/376435_340631109285115_100000146856528_1578791_232228497_n.jpg

Florida Gardener
02-14-2012, 06:56 PM
This dirty enough for you guys? This is obvious neglect and nasty things are waiting for up inside there. In fact the front one appeared to have what appeared to be a vacant rats next. Yuck - but coons, snakes, spiders etc etc all kind of good things await you in something like this.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/376435_340631109285115_100000146856528_1578791_232228497_n.jpg

Haha, well that is a different story. Mike, you should have showed this pic. I would charge $75 each for those. Dump fees if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Haha, well that is a different story. Mike, you should have showed this pic. I would charge $75 each for those. Dump fees if needed.
Posted via Mobile Device

That is more of the fee I feel is appropriate. This person let this go this long and expects a good price for it? Not likely - they know they have neglected it and let it go. The issue I have is that I know there are people out there that would most likely do them for $20 bucks each and would of if I had went as high as I wanted. Total charge was $140 and a disposal fee of $50 buck. I really felt I should get more but knew that was a reasonable request and any more and I would get kicked to the curb. These type jobs should be the bread and butter on top of our bread and butter IMHO but instead as a industry we keep driving the prices down, down , down. Not saying that anyone here does...but in general it keeps getting lower and lower. If I am climbing (did not have too on these) you are damn right you are going to pay a small fortune.
My point I guess is this. If this person had employed a lawn service all along - that would of created how much income for someone every month? That is money in a lawn turds pocket that this property owner decided not to spend. Over the couple of years it took for those palms to get that dirty - they saved how much?
They should have to pay - we as a industry should ensure that they do when we come across neglected stuff like this. If we don't we are just hurting ourselves and teaching them it is ok because it will save you money to not have the lawn turd do it on the regular, it is cheaper to have it done once a decade:rolleyes:

Florida Gardener
02-14-2012, 07:45 PM
That is more of the fee I feel is appropriate. This person let this go this long and expects a good price for it? Not likely - they know they have neglected it and let it go. The issue I have is that I know there are people out there that would most likely do them for $20 bucks each and would of if I had went as high as I wanted. Total charge was $140 and a disposal fee of $50 buck. I really felt I should get more but knew that was a reasonable request and any more and I would get kicked to the curb. These type jobs should be the bread and butter on top of our bread and butter IMHO but instead as a industry we keep driving the prices down, down , down. Not saying that anyone here does...but in general it keeps getting lower and lower. If I am climbing (did not have too on these) you are damn right you are going to pay a small fortune.
My point I guess is this. If this person had employed a lawn service all along - that would of created how much income for someone every month? That is money in a lawn turds pocket that this property owner decided not to spend. Over the couple of years it took for those palms to get that dirty - they saved how much?
They should have to pay - we as a industry should ensure that they do when we come across neglected stuff like this. If we don't we are just hurting ourselves and teaching them it is ok because it will save you money to not have the lawn turd do it on the regular, it is cheaper to have it done once a decade:rolleyes:

Mike do you really want to even work for people like that? If they feel it's ok for those palms, their attitude is prob the same for the rest of the landscape. Palms are bread and butter, but I only do them for regular clients who want them done 2x/year. I don't really want to even bother with the one-timers. There's a reason they got that messy....cheap people.
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
02-14-2012, 08:38 PM
We would do those two for anywhere from 75-100 a piece. Trimming and cleanup would be done in under 30 minutes. My min for tree work is 200. Travel time has to be accounted for. Regularly cleaned palms are a different story. We have commercial customers that we charge 15-20 a piece, but a 3 man crew can do 100 plus per day. We do these 3 or more times per year.

Why did you leave stubs of all sizes down the trunk?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Mike do you really want to even work for people like that? If they feel it's ok for those palms, their attitude is prob the same for the rest of the landscape. Palms are bread and butter, but I only do them for regular clients who want them done 2x/year. I don't really want to even bother with the one-timers. There's a reason they got that messy....cheap people.
Posted via Mobile Device

These were done way early in winter.....during one of the first couple of "off" weeks. So I do not mind working for people like that on a one time basis if the price is right. That is not a account I would try to attempt to keep year round knowing the habits of the property owner.

Landscape Poet
02-14-2012, 08:55 PM
Why did you leave stubs of all sizes down the trunk?
Posted via Mobile Device Pure laziness my friend. I was not going for "purty" as I simple did not care. I wanted to get in and out as fast as I could. I had not intentions of attempting to gain work in that neighborhood nor did I care if the property owner asked me back to ever service there property again. I simple wanted a quick few bucks on my day off on a off week. :clapping::clapping:

zturncutter
02-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Pure laziness my friend. I was not going for "purty" as I simple did not care. I wanted to get in and out as fast as I could. I had not intentions of attempting to gain work in that neighborhood nor did I care if the property owner asked me back to ever service there property again. I simple wanted a quick few bucks on my day off on a off week. :clapping::clapping:

Well Ahhhhh I will give you an A for honesty anyway :dizzy:

Ric
02-15-2012, 08:25 AM

Washingtonian Palms are just plain nasty to trim. IMHO any price under a Hundred each or $ 200 for both is cheating your self. BTW I am not even talking a De-booting at that price. However the boots need trimmed if you aren't going to de-boot. I hate trying to price off of pictures because you really can't see every thing. Therefore upon seeing the job in person My price won't go down but might double or more.

If I am high bidder and don't get the job, OH Well no biggie. Trimming these palms is hard work and a few of cuts on your hands from the thorns. It is Not the type of fast buck work I want to do.

unkownfl
02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
That wasn't fair the first picture did no justice on what the job entailed. I would have charged $300 and removed both palms and did them a favor of getting rid of those maintenance hogs. I wouldn't have trimmed those for less than $150 a piece if I had to haul it away. I assure you that it would have fit in my truck if it fit on your trailer.

jvanvliet
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
:hammerhead: Bait and switch; should have shown those pictures first...

01thump
02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Just did six palms today they where not as bad as those pix but charged 65 each (cause it was a regular)hauled away the crap and had two rats drop out of them landfill 18 bucks will charge 40 for that helps with the gas to get there ...took us 1 and a half hours with a complete clean up then we where off to the next job...

Landscape Poet
02-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Just did six palms today they where not as bad as those pix but charged 65 each (cause it was a regular)hauled away the crap and had two rats drop out of them landfill 18 bucks will charge 40 for that helps with the gas to get there ...took us 1 and a half hours with a complete clean up then we where off to the next job...

Welcome to the LS thump!:waving::waving::waving:

01thump
02-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Thank you sir... i have been looking and learning from this site...i just bought out the company i was working for as of tomorrow i am a new owner and will be picking up all my new equipment tomorrow from the shop ..i will post some pix of it in the picture section i am very excited about this i have all commercial accounts that basically got handed to me ..i have been servicing these clients since july of last year so it was easy for them to take me on i am all about customer service and i guess it shows they are keeping me.. :)

Landscape Poet
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Thank you sir... i have been looking and learning from this site...i just bought out the company i was working for as of tomorrow i am a new owner and will be picking up all my new equipment tomorrow from the shop ..i will post some pix of it in the picture section i am very excited about this i have all commercial accounts that basically got handed to me ..i have been servicing these clients since july of last year so it was easy for them to take me on i am all about customer service and i guess it shows they are keeping me.. :)

Hey Thump ....congratulations on your new company. Link us into your picture thread when you get it up and going from here so we get to know you. This site is full of good people so I am sure you will enjoy it. You will get as much out of it as you put into it.

GreenT
02-16-2012, 11:23 PM

Whazzup Mike?

You were bidding $100 each on these not too long ago....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225595&stc=1&d=1310606612

Dunno.... the ones in this thread look even worse.

Anyway, didn't we agree 25 bucks a pop was the going rate in FL?.....

Landscape Poet
02-16-2012, 11:25 PM

Whazzup Mike?

You were bidding $100 each on these not too long ago....

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=225595&stc=1&d=1310606612

Dunno.... the ones in this thread look even worse.

Anyway, didn't we agree 25 bucks a pop was the going rate in FL?.....

Learning my friend learning from my mistakes.

Patriot Services
02-17-2012, 09:36 AM
That's what happened in the last thread. We all got murdered wanting to charge appropriate prices for this work. Then the 20 dollar a tree hoard makes it not even worth the bother. 3 flyers in my drive this week alone. You see them. Old rigs, high plywood sides, extension ladder sticking out. Can't compete with that and don't want too.:usflag:

Florida Gardener
02-17-2012, 11:27 AM
That's what happened in the last thread. We all got murdered wanting to charge appropriate prices for this work. Then the 20 dollar a tree hoard makes it not even worth the bother. 3 flyers in my drive this week alone. You see them. Old rigs, high plywood sides, extension ladder sticking out. Can't compete with that and don't want too.:usflag:

The problem with that thread was people were comparing apples to oranges. A 35 ft messy washy is going to go for a lot more than a 15 ft routinely cleaned queen.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Learning my friend learning from my mistakes.

Look at the difference in height, I would't do those trees for $45, you'd need a bucket or spike the trees.

Landscape Poet
02-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Look at the difference in height, I would't do those trees for $45, you'd need a bucket or spike the trees.

I know at that time of that thread I had a guy that would climb those boogers and do them with out a cherry jlg lift......I am not sure the price i ended up giving her now but I know I did not get a call back:nono::nono::nono:

LGL
02-18-2012, 05:25 PM
$125 Total. Stihl HT 131, locate waste on my own curb.

jvanvliet
02-18-2012, 05:49 PM
$125 Total. Stihl HT 131, locate waste on my own curb.

We have Stihl HT 131's. I don't think you can reach those fronts. Fully extended it bounces too much for big jobs, couple of beanches sure but tose trees are way dirty. It's also too heavy to use safely from a ladder. Spike or Bucket.

unkownfl
02-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Ladder and pole saw could get it done but it's an easy 3 to 4 hour job in summer with fatigue.

Patriot Services
02-18-2012, 08:42 PM
Not enough money to take an ant shower.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-19-2012, 08:34 AM
Ladder and pole saw could get it done but it's an easy 3 to 4 hour job in summer with fatigue.

Those trees are too tall for a ladder job; besides standing @ the top of a ladder with a pole saw is dangerous, even with a saddle.

Look at the house, from the ground to the peak it's between 16 & 18 feet. Those trees are way higher than that.

How tall of a ladder are you going to use on it knowing the further you move it up, the more spring and instability in the ladder? We don't go more than 20' which puts us about 16' up the tree, and we secure the ladder and employ a saddle. The other option is to spur the tree.

No matter what method, I'd still use a Sthil MS210.

Not enough money to take an ant shower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Been up those before eh? :laugh:

That's why it's good to employ young men braver and with less brains than your self.:p

Some work is not worth doing!

Ric
02-19-2012, 09:10 AM

IMHO it would be less labor to remove those trees than to trim them correctly with a complete debooting.

Landscape Poet
02-19-2012, 09:37 AM

IMHO it would be less labor to remove those trees than to trim them correctly with a complete debooting.

What is everyone's obsession with debooting this poor guys down here? Does it serve some purpose other than cosmetic? I simply think if they come off freely then great but pulling and cutting off boots to make it "more appealing" to you does not make much sense, it is protection for the tree and if it did not want them it would let them go.

Am I missing something or is there a reason behind this or is this just one of those things like crepe myrtle's getting their little heads wacked off?

Patriot Services
02-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Cosmetic and less places for pests to nest. It looks bad when you spend time cleaning up a customers yard and next day more boots are littering it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
02-19-2012, 10:57 AM
What is everyone's obsession with debooting this poor guys down here? Does it serve some purpose other than cosmetic? I simply think if they come off freely then great but pulling and cutting off boots to make it "more appealing" to you does not make much sense, it is protection for the tree and if it did not want them it would let them go.

Am I missing something or is there a reason behind this or is this just one of those things like crepe myrtle's getting their little heads wacked off?

Mikey

Keep Reading.

RoyalTree
02-19-2012, 11:25 AM
The right equipment makes easy work of these. I would not try using a ladder and silky. A bucket truck and a chipper allows you to do these for less and still make more money.

I am stunned to see the attitude of the op. No wonder we all get a bad rep. That is pure crap work
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
The right equipment makes easy work of these. I would not try using a ladder and silky. A bucket truck and a chipper allows you to do these for less and still make more money.

I am stunned to see the attitude of the op. No wonder we all get a bad rep. That is pure crap work
Posted via Mobile Device

Average LCO isn't going to have a bucket and chipper. If you do have that equipment you won't be charging 25 a tree either.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-19-2012, 11:51 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Some of these guys are insane and will stretch their butts on trees like that.

I'm with you, bucket. We pass on work like that because we don't have the equipment to do it right. There's some work you just don't want.

Also, Patriot is right, those trees need to be de-booted.

greendoctor
02-19-2012, 04:59 PM
Average LCO isn't going to have a bucket and chipper. If you do have that equipment you won't be charging 25 a tree either.
Posted via Mobile Device

No person that services trees here is without a lift and chipper. The ones that will do the work without those tools are unlicensed, uninsured and cash only. Leaving debris curbside is also not allowed, so whatever is cut down must be disposed of. Which is why palm tree service is not cheap here.

Landscape Poet
02-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes Yes, I know you do not do anything ever but pure true perfect works right....you and every lawn turd on LS here with there stories about how they never do anything but perfect work and adhere to perfect standards....even if that means your profit is less than perfect because you are a good lawn turd right? :hammerhead: There is most likely a thread somewhere on here talking about how each lawnturd on here makes perfect stripes too....why don't you go tell them about your top notch work there?

As for me.
This owner wanted the trees trimmed. I had wasted my time to go to the property and give a bid during a off week. I took a swing on what price I thought the owner would go for and they took it. I took there money and walked away with them being happy. Did you think that owner was expecting Disney after waiting that long to have it trimmed? Do you think that is where his standards are?????? :confused:

Patriot Services
02-19-2012, 08:55 PM
Mike~ so what your saying is you met the guy in the middle? Did as much as you could for what the customer wanted to spend?
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-19-2012, 09:31 PM
Mike~ so what your saying is you met the guy in the middle? Did as much as you could for what the customer wanted to spend?
Posted via Mobile Device

Essentially. There was no need to press the issue and play games. I had already taken the time and resources to go give the estimate. A free estimate mind you as that is standard business practice as you well know down here.

When I arrived and seen those....I could do two things. Swing for the fences and insist that I deboot, trim and that he pay me top dollar and most likely go home empty handed after wasting my time to drive there, talk to him and using my fuel to do both. And I think you know that the same kind of customer that allows their property to get like this in the first place...is not interested in top quality work. They are interested in getting the HOA off there back or wife or whatever else finally brought this to his attention.

Or ---I could listen to what the guy wanted.....get a feel for him.....and give him the best price I could do get the job and go home with money in my pocket and not making the day a total waste. So that is what I did. I explained to him what I would do...gave him the price.....he agreed....the job got done in roughly a hour solo and put close to $200.00 in my pocket for my efforts of getting up in the morning.

Now as already stated in the thread....if I had wanted extra work in the neighborhood....if I thought the guy was going to give me good leads that would lead to more good work.....maybe I would of did it different. But I am good on accounts and only care about getting them in neighborhoods that we are in as route density is how I will grow this year as we are very full and I am not spending fuel driving all over gods green earth to gain a extra account with fuel at soon to be $4.00 a gallon.

I accessed the situation......made the most out of it. Most of all I am not afraid to admit that unlike many turds on here that claim they only do top notch work! Top notch work is fine....get it when you can....but you have to work harder to get that fruit at the top of the tree. Sometimes it is much easier and quicker to just grab the fruit hanging on the bottom of the tree and be on your way!

Patriot Services
02-19-2012, 09:37 PM
No arguement from me. Profitable work is profitable work.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Essentially. There was no need to press the issue and play games. I had already taken the time and resources to go give the estimate. A free estimate mind you as that is standard business practice as you well know down here.

When I arrived and seen those....I could do two things. Swing for the fences and insist that I deboot, trim and that he pay me top dollar and most likely go home empty handed after wasting my time to drive there, talk to him and using my fuel to do both. And I think you know that the same kind of customer that allows their property to get like this in the first place...is not interested in top quality work. They are interested in getting the HOA off there back or wife or whatever else finally brought this to his attention.
Or ---I could listen to what the guy wanted.....get a feel for him.....and give him the best price I could do get the job and go home with money in my pocket and not making the day a total waste. So that is what I did. I explained to him what I would do...gave him the price.....he agreed....the job got done in roughly a hour solo and put close to $200.00 in my pocket for my efforts of getting up in the morning.

Now as already stated in the thread....if I had wanted extra work in the neighborhood....if I thought the guy was going to give me good leads that would lead to more good work.....maybe I would of did it different. But I am good on accounts and only care about getting them in neighborhoods that we are in as route density is how I will grow this year as we are very full and I am not spending fuel driving all over gods green earth to gain a extra account with fuel at soon to be $4.00 a gallon.

I accessed the situation......made the most out of it. Most of all I am not afraid to admit that unlike many turds on here that claim they only do top notch work! Top notch work is fine....get it when you can....but you have to work harder to get that fruit at the top of the tree. Sometimes it is much easier and quicker to just grab the fruit hanging on the bottom of the tree and be on your way!

See I don't agree with you on all this. Yea, it's harder to get the fruits but that is part of trimming palms. So you charged this guy $200 to do these(which is good) but your not gonna remove the fruits bc it requires more work? This guy could of had a company with a bucket do those for less than you charged and got all the fruits out. I just don't agree with that logic. I'm not making what I want but I'm gonna short change the job. But when you get done quicker than expected, you don't give a refund, right? I've bid jobs that would take me longer than I budgeted for, but I didn't leave the job 80% done. Sorry, I just don't agree with that line of thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
02-19-2012, 10:21 PM
See I don't agree with you on all this. Yea, it's harder to get the fruits but that is part of trimming palms. So you charged this guy $200 to do these(which is good) but your not gonna remove the fruits bc it requires more work? This guy could of had a company with a bucket do those for less than you charged and got all the fruits out. I just don't agree with that logic. I'm not making what I want but I'm gonna short change the job. But when you get done quicker than expected, you don't give a refund, right? I've bid jobs that would take me longer than I budgeted for, but I didn't leave the job 80% done. Sorry, I just don't agree with that line of thinking.
Posted via Mobile Device

Again, where did I ever say that I left the guy's job short changed. I told him what I was going to do, he agreed to the price, I completed the actions that I said I would do, collected my money and got the hell on down the road.

Now if I had bid a big install job and I ran over budget at 80% of completion. I am most likely like you, I will eat it if I can afford to as I was the assjack that bid it that low without taking all things into consideration. Now if there were issues that were out of my control or situations which the home owner caused the delay....I have no issue explaining to the home owner and asking to meet in the middle. It would be hard I would imagine as I have not had this happen yet but I know I would explain and try to cover my own butt not just keep on driving the sinking ship.

Florida Gardener
02-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Again, where did I ever say that I left the guy's job short changed. I told him what I was going to do, he agreed to the price, I completed the actions that I said I would do, collected my money and got the hell on down the road.

Now if I had bid a big install job and I ran over budget at 80% of completion. I am most likely like you, I will eat it if I can afford to as I was the assjack that bid it that low without taking all things into consideration. Now if there were issues that were out of my control or situations which the home owner caused the delay....I have no issue explaining to the home owner and asking to meet in the middle. It would be hard I would imagine as I have not had this happen yet but I know I would explain and try to cover my own butt not just keep on driving the sinking ship.

I read you agreed to things, but you didn't mention removing fruits so I figured that was something you were going to do. I never give a set price on installs. My estimates state that they are just that, estimates. If I need more, they get billed for more. If less, less.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-20-2012, 06:31 AM

Good for you. Just out of curiosity, how did you do the job?

Landscape Poet
02-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Good for you. Just out of curiosity, how did you do the job?

Stihl HT 131 - like another poster said. It reached far enough and I am fortunate to be large enough and strong enough to hold it steady even at those heights without too much of a issue. No ladder even needed. That is the original pictured palms.

We never did get a call back on the two picture Green T posted. I figured we would be out of budget for that person. And that was bid was essentially a bid that was put in for a guy that does some work for me from time to time and what he said he would do it for. I am too damn big to be shimming my butt up a palm of any size. Big Boys make big noise when we fall. Not going to happen....but this guy is a skinny little guy and has no issue with it.

rob7233
02-20-2012, 09:36 PM
No person that services trees here is without a lift and chipper. The ones that will do the work without those tools are unlicensed, uninsured and cash only. Leaving debris curbside is also not allowed, so whatever is cut down must be disposed of. Which is why palm tree service is not cheap here.

Not to get off track here but I understand there in HI you guys use something else called palm tree spikes (which do not harm the palm). Can you tell us more?

greendoctor
02-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Palm tree spikes do harm the trees. They provide entry points for insects and diseases. However, they are the only option for trees planted in inaccessible locations. Whether the tree is spiked or accessed with a lift does not change the price.

jvanvliet
02-21-2012, 06:59 AM
Not to get off track here but I understand there in HI you guys use something else called palm tree spikes (which do not harm the palm). Can you tell us more?

Spurs, actually. They damage the palm, but hackers use them anyway.

jvanvliet
02-21-2012, 07:05 AM
Stihl HT 131 - like another poster said. It reached far enough and I am fortunate to be large enough and strong enough to hold it steady even at those heights without too much of a issue. No ladder even needed. That is the original pictured palms.

We never did get a call back on the two picture Green T posted. I figured we would be out of budget for that person. And that was bid was essentially a bid that was put in for a guy that does some work for me from time to time and what he said he would do it for. I am too damn big to be shimming my butt up a palm of any size. Big Boys make big noise when we fall. Not going to happen....but this guy is a skinny little guy and has no issue with it.

You mean the Palms in the 2nd. picture?

I didn't think the HT131 would extend to more 11', plus 6' for height = 17' max; those trees go to about 35'. What you do, just take off the dead stuff near the bottom?

Patriot Services
02-21-2012, 07:23 AM
Jvan that other photo was from a previous much debated thread. Those were way too tall for a ladder or ground attack.
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
02-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Palm tree spikes do harm the trees. They provide entry points for insects and diseases. However, they are the ONLY option for trees planted in inaccessible locations. Whether the tree is spiked or accessed with a lift does not change the price.

Not true. Hire a real tree guy and let him use ropes to climb.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Not true. Hire a real tree guy and let him use ropes to climb.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can you elaborate please? How exactly do you use ropes on trees with a smooth trunk and no branches to throw a line over?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
02-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Can you elaborate please? How exactly do you use ropes on trees with a smooth trunk and no branches to throw a line over?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot

Certain types of rope when tied right can used on you feet like climbing spurs. Manila Rope works best. I can't really explain marlinespike etc here, it is an art unto it's self.

In Edit

The rope is used as a slip Knot that grabs the tree or the smooth steel Flag pole etc. Going up is the easy part. Coming Down can be tricky.

Ric
02-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Patriot

Certain types of rope when tied right can used on you feet like climbing spurs. Manila Rope works best. I can't really explain marlinespike etc here, it is an art unto it's self.

In Edit

The rope is used as a slip Knot that grabs the tree or the smooth steel Flag pole etc. Going up is the easy part. Coming Down can be tricky.

Patriot

Maybe a better explaination is you have two Slip Knots that go around the tree trunk, one in each hand. The left one is attached to a loop for your left foot and Right One Etc. You left hand moves the rope up the tree as your foot comes up at the same time. Then you put weight on the slip knot with your foot until it grabs the Tree and you climb up and do the same with your right hand. You should also have a safety belt from your waist to around the tree allowing you to lead back and work with both hands.

Getting up there can be the easy part. Doing the work can be an other story. No everyone can hang by their butt while starting and running a chain saw. Coming down is or can be very dangerous just like regular Tree Spikes which require more energy to come down the tree safety than going up.

Ya'll might want to consider my earlier post about less labor to remove the tree than to trim it correctly. It was a tongue in cheek post to see if anyone would pick up on removing the tree like it should be. Fact is these tree can be a real danger in a hurricane. I love trees but I sure don't need a 80 to 100 footer dropping on me or my house. These tree are excellent Habitat for all kinds of rats and bugs even more so than other palms because of all the Vegetation Debris hanging on it.

Sure the first few years these trees grow fast and add height quickly to you landscape design. But if your design is to stand the test of time don't use Washington Palms.

RoyalTree
02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Can you elaborate please? How exactly do you uiose ropes on trees with a smooth trunk and no branches to throw a line over?
Posted via Mobile Device

You set a climbing line over the top and climb up on the rope, not the palm. I highly recomend you never try going up tje trunk of a very dirty washingtonian as the skirt can dislodge and fall and trap you against the tree. There had been many fatalities where people suffocate from the skirt while spiking up.

Look up srt climbing palm on youtube to get an idea on how to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Looks like a workout and a half. You don't learn those skills overnight. Hats off to you guys that do that on a regular basis.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Jvan that other photo was from a previous much debated thread. Those were way too tall for a ladder or ground attack.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ah, I C. So the shorter ones then. Now I understand.

Not sure about using rope to climb palms, specially with a chain saw.

RoyalTree
02-21-2012, 04:39 PM
Its not for most people. Each job requieres a certain set of skills and equipment to be done properly.

Each company should focus on doing what is in their abilitied and not be a jack of all trades.
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Its not for most people. Each job requieres a certain set of skills and equipment to be done properly.

Each company should focus on doing what is in their abilitied and not be a jack of all trades.
Posted via Mobile Device

You ain't lying :drinkup:

Ric
02-21-2012, 06:08 PM
You set a climbing line over the top and climb up on the rope, not the palm. I highly recomend you never try going up tje trunk of a very dirty washingtonian as the skirt can dislodge and fall and trap you against the tree. There had been many fatalities where people suffocate from the skirt while spiking up.

Look up srt climbing palm on youtube to get an idea on how to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Royal

I watched the U Tube and saw what I call Ballooning. Same idea only a Balloon or a bow and arrow are used to send a light sting up a structure to be climbed. The sting is light and goes high. Then the sting pulls heaver rope up until the desired size is in place. These is more of a Steeplejack method than tree trimmer method.

Yes Never climb a Washingtonian palm that has boots. While some boots are hard to get off, most are loose enough to kill you in a fall.

RoyalTree
02-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Ric, i am not sure what you saw but srt climbing is one of the main ways in modern tree climbing. It is done the same way in a tree as in a palm tree. Line is set with a throw ball and you go up the rope with body thrusting, footlocking or ascenders. A top notch climber can get to the top of a sixty foot palm in less time then setting up and operating the bucket truck. I operate a bucket crew and a climbing crew. When i have more time i will get some good videos.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
02-21-2012, 07:00 PM

I'm sure these guys do them @ 25 a pop....

8sg39Yu0u5s

I'm still @ $200 each based on the first thread. I know, I'm such a ripoff....

Florida Gardener
02-21-2012, 07:04 PM

I'm sure these guys do them @ 25 a pop....

8sg39Yu0u5s

I'm still @ $200 each based on the first thread. I know, I'm such a ripoff....

Nobody said 25 a pop for messy palms, do you like to be an annoyance?
Posted via Mobile Device

RoyalTree
02-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Hmm...why is he wearing spikes. They make it more complicated then it has to be. I hope people understand how dangerous these palms can be. I am tirred of paying a fortune for workers comp for tree service because this field is full of hacks. Construction hard hats are not made for climbing...
Posted via Mobile Device

jvanvliet
02-21-2012, 07:33 PM
Out of my league:dancing:

GreenT
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Hmm...why is he wearing spikes....

Agreed. I also noticed the wrong head gear and the fact he wasn't wearing gloves...

But the point is that we've had a couple of threads here recently were all sorts of 'professionals' kept throwing around quotes on work they have no idea how to do correctly/safely.

And, most importantly, without proper insurance. Thus your high WC rates....

01thump
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
If i can not get it with a ladder or a lift someone else can have it....i would end up falling with all that gear on and hanging myself...

Landscape Poet
02-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Agreed. I also noticed the wrong head gear and the fact he wasn't wearing gloves...

But the point is that we've had a couple of threads here recently were all sorts of 'professionals' kept throwing around quotes on work they have no idea how to do correctly/safely.

And, most importantly, without proper insurance. Thus your high WC rates....

T - Shall we leave you Pro-FESH-ionals alone to discuss how to properly do things?

GreenT
02-21-2012, 10:37 PM
T - Shall we leave you Pro-FESH-ionals alone to discuss how to properly do things?

I am not a tree pro, not even close. That's why I sub all my work to someone with the proper experience, manpower, equipment, and coverage.

Don't take this the wrong way Mike but, you're a solo op, correct? If you fall down or get hurt in any way that can prevent you from working for some time.... how much are those couple of palms worth to you and your business then?

I see people doing this all the time. Hey, it's a couple of quick bucks in my pocket, right?.... and then they get hurt, or worse.

Yes, leave it to the pros..... It. Is. Not. Worth it.

Landrus2
02-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Hmmmm - another Yankee landscaper wacking the hell out of my palms :nono::nono:.....I am going to have to pass Yank! HA

Did you make any money on those palms.:laugh::laugh:

Landscape Poet
02-22-2012, 01:14 AM
I am not a tree pro, not even close. That's why I sub all my work to someone with the proper experience, manpower, equipment, and coverage.

Don't take this the wrong way Mike but, you're a solo op, correct? If you fall down or get hurt in any way that can prevent you from working for some time.... how much are those couple of palms worth to you and your business then?

I see people doing this all the time. Hey, it's a couple of quick bucks in my pocket, right?.... and then they get hurt, or worse.

Yes, leave it to the pros..... It. Is. Not. Worth it.

Not solo anymore T = I am a growing business man and did not see the long term sustainability of being solo. Made the switch to grow.

As far as the trees. I myself do not climb. Never have and never will. JLG lift...yes if the money is right and I feel comfortable with the situation. But yes - tree work as in true trees or palms higher than this fat boy can reach with the pole saw on a ladder are not getting done by me. Again and go back and read the post. I said if I won the bid for the two tall washies that was I had someone ready to sub that out too. Again fat boys like me will not climb because we hit the ground hard.

Landscape Poet
02-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Did you make any money on those palms.:laugh::laugh:

Made enough for me...you would know that if your yankee but could read and actually read the thread!;););)

jvanvliet
02-22-2012, 06:32 AM
As far as the trees. I myself do not climb. Never have and never will. JLG lift...yes if the money is right and I feel comfortable with the situation.

I don't know about your area, but If you use a lift around here you'll need an arborist lisence.

That stuff is just not worth it, we draw the line at 20ft, it's what we can handle safely, and not for $25.00. We start at $35 and up.

Florida Gardener
02-22-2012, 06:34 AM
A lift also classifies you as a tree company in the insurance companies book meaning higher insurance. Ladder work is cheaper insurance costs.
Posted via Mobile Device

zturncutter
02-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Here is some workers comp. info, you can't leave the ground and still be covered under these two classifications here in Florida.

Class Code 0042 – Applies to employees primarily engaged in planning, clearing, grading, laying of sod, seeding, and planting necessary for landscape installation operations. Planting of trees, shrubs, and flowers are classified to this code along with general gardening activities.
Class Code 9102 – Applies to employees that perform maintenance of lawns, grounds, and gardens. “The maintenance may involve lawn mowing, raking, application of liquid or granular fertilizer, spraying and trimming of shrubs or small trees from the ground, and thatching or aerating. If any one or all of the above operations are performed by a lawn maintenance risk classified to Code 9102, then minor and incidental landscaping operations performed by the same risk, such as the replacement of dead shrubs, the planting of a few flowers, and the placing of rock or brick as edging designs are included under Code 9102. This minor landscaping operation is distinguished from work performed by an insured at a job or location where the primary work at the job or location is landscaping. Since lawn spraying is a maintenance operation, a risk engaged exclusively in work of this nature is classified to Code 9102.”

zturncutter
02-22-2012, 07:11 AM
Big difference in rates for these two class codes, Tree work done off the ground is much higher than these two codes.

In Florida, the 2011 rates for theses class codes are 7.14 for code 0042 and 3.47 for code 9102. For businesses in the landscaping industry, this emphasizes the importance of distinguishing between the two classification codes.

Ric
02-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Zturn

I believe the new worker comp law came into effect Jan 1 of 2004. At that time I was paying approx 12.9 % of payroll for landscape installers. That was only 0.3% higher than Lawn mowing so I kept all employees on the higher rate. BTW Spray tech was a little less at I believe 12.3%.

Today spray tech Workers Comp is only 4.4% or about 1/3 of what it was 8 years ago. Of course now as a one man part time semi retired guy I don't carry Worker comp.

BTW The DACS BEPC of pesticide inspection people are now checking employee tax records as part of their inspection. The reason is centered around Rent A License or Card holding on non real employee for purposes of Sitting for the test.

Florida Gardener
02-26-2012, 01:35 PM
I submitted a bid a few days ago for a $1700/mo. Resi. They wanted everything included in the price. 2 Sylvester palms@$100 ea., medjool @$150, 3 royals@$50 ea., and 2 queens @$25 ea. without giving any other info, it would be hard to tell if these prices are too low or high. This was my initial point. To say $25 is too low for a palm, more info needs to be provided.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Did 9 Coconuts today for a customer. They hadn't been done in about a year. They are usually $25/ea., but since they were full, I charged $35/ea. We had all them done in 3 hours. Debris was left curbside at customers house. Came out to $52.50/MH.

Before
http://i41.tinypic.com/dpjssl.jpg
After
http://i39.tinypic.com/30k7k8h.jpg

Landscape Poet
02-28-2012, 09:23 PM
. Debris was left curbside at customers house.

That is not very professional of you! :)

Florida Gardener
02-28-2012, 09:28 PM
That is not very professional of you! :)

Yea, yea, story of my life. If I don't have to make a trip to the dump, I am happy. It's such a waste of time to me. This HO specifically wants vegetation left at the curb. I rarely have anyone request taking the garbage to the landfill.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenT
02-28-2012, 10:04 PM

6 hours? ;)

Florida Gardener
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM

6 hours? ;)

Yup, they were all very full and when a bunch hit the ground tons of coconuts went everywhere. Each tree prob had 10 open fruits to remove, 6 of those were full bunches, then prob 2-3 unopened stalks...
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
02-28-2012, 10:10 PM

6 hours? ;)

I was a little surprised myself it took that long, but I made good money on the job. Coconuts that are done routinely(2x year) I am done with a tree in 5 minutes...
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
02-29-2012, 01:16 AM
J/W what do you do about all the berries that fall off queen palms if you leave them curb side? Do you come back and clean the up or bag those pods? Real answers not what should be done but what you guys actually do.

Florida Gardener
02-29-2012, 04:21 AM
J/W what do you do about all the berries that fall off queen palms if you leave them curb side? Do you come back and clean the up or bag those pods? Real answers not what should be done but what you guys actually do.
Yup, I clean em up. I try to get all my customers to let me do the palms before they get to that point. Coconuts like the ones in the pic are very dangerous to people, animals, and plants. Queens are just plain messy when the fruits get everywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
02-29-2012, 09:10 AM

Rake, shovel and bag. Real pita when its a pine nugget mulch bed under a group of them. Along with acorns and gumdrops its my least favorite task.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
03-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Did another 8 coconuts yesterday. These are priced into the monthly price to be done 2x/year. They are a tad bigger than the ones in the pics above, but were nowhere near as messy. Had all done in 1.5 hours(3 MH total). 6 were done on an extension climbing the tree and two taller ones were successfully done with a 21' Silky removing fruits only. Came out to $90/MH.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-06-2012, 11:22 PM
hmmmm. #1 reason i couldnt work in Florida. I hate palm trees. they work for yalls areas. i cant stand it here when someone plants a bunch of palms around a yard with a magnolia in it. ok my rant over lol

Florida Gardener
03-06-2012, 11:26 PM
hmmmm. #1 reason i couldnt work in Florida. I hate palm trees. they work for yalls areas. i cant stand it here when someone plants a bunch of palms around a yard with a magnolia in it. ok my rant over lol
I love them. It gives our landscapes a certain look you don't find anywhere else except desert like climates(Texas, az, cal). Plus, if you price them right they are a great source of additional income. I have one property with 9 coconuts and 3 queens that get done 2x year. It's great extra money. Some of the more labor intensive ones to trim(Phoenix palms, washy's, etc) you can charge way more for.
Posted via Mobile Device

KrayzKajun
03-06-2012, 11:30 PM
I love them. It gives our landscapes a certain look you don't find anywhere else except desert like climates(Texas, az, cal). Plus, if you price them right they are a great source of additional income. I have one property with 9 coconuts and 3 queens that get done 2x year. It's great extra money. Some of the more labor intensive ones to trim(Phoenix palms, washy's, etc) you can charge way more for.
Posted via Mobile Device

i maintain a resturant and they have 7 queens on the property. that reminds me they need to be cleaned up for the spring. should make a nice load in the new dump trailer.

Florida Gardener
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
i maintain a resturant and they have 7 queens on the property. that reminds me they need to be cleaned up for the spring. should make a nice load in the new dump trailer.

Only remove dead fronds, fruits and flowers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Day off?
03-11-2012, 07:11 PM
Sorry to get off the topic but take a close look at your liability insurance. If you are insured for landscape install or maintenance, there is a good chance that your policy will not cover any tree work or if on a ladder.

Florida Gardener
03-11-2012, 07:15 PM
Sorry to get off the topic but take a close look at your liability insurance. If you are insured for landscape install or maintenance, there is a good chance that your policy will not cover any tree work or if on a ladder.
Mine only covers ladder work. No buckets, stump grinders, etc. That is basically what separates a tree company vs a maintenance company.
Posted via Mobile Device

Day off?
03-11-2012, 07:35 PM
Mine only covers ladder work. No buckets, stump grinders, etc. That is basically what separates a tree company vs a maintenance company.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's good. I just didn't want to see any of you find out the hard way. This forum seems to have the very few companies in FL that actually know what there doing. Rather see a company like yours do good. If you don't mind me asking... Who do you use? I have a million dollar policy and I'm not covered for ladder work.

Florida Gardener
03-11-2012, 07:42 PM
That's good. I just didn't want to see any of you find out the hard way. This forum seems to have the very few companies in FL that actually know what there doing. Rather see a company like yours do good. If you don't mind me asking... Who do you use? I have a million dollar policy and I'm not covered for ladder work.
Can't remember the carrier but they are AA rated. I have a 2M policy. The broker who I use is very professional. You may want to give them w call they are located in Boca.
Posted via Mobile Device

Day off?
03-11-2012, 07:56 PM
Can't remember the carrier but they are AA rated. I have a 2M policy. The broker who I use is very professional. You may want to give them w call they are located in Boca.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds good. Thank you!

Florida Gardener
03-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Sounds good. Thank you!

Sena and Whitney LLC is the broker.
Posted via Mobile Device