PDA

View Full Version : What would cause this?

wildwood 1
02-14-2012, 07:18 PM
I have a liquid cooled 27 hp Kawasaki with about 1300 hrs on it. Late this last season, it started to run really bogged down at start up and could take anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes before it would kick in and run normally. It really has no power at all and the machine will just about stall if I try to move it and forget about turning the blades on. It sounds as if something is opening up inside when it kicks in, and then everything runs as it should. I don't know how to diagnose these symptoms, but I can fix it if I know what is causing the problem.
Thanks.

piston slapper
02-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Check your sparkplugs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Restrorob
02-14-2012, 08:09 PM
And make sure both are firing.

integrityman
02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
And check the plug wires...although this almost sounds like a fuel delivery issue.......Id clean the carb out good too.

If carbon deposits in the combustion chamber/ valves are absorbing a percentage of incoming fuel, the engine may run lean and stumble a bit????

let us know when you get it figured out...

Valk
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
Can you smell gas in the exhaust when it's misbehaving?

I had a similar scenario & with the above odor...turned out to be an intermittently bad coil with a mind of its own.

wildwood 1
02-17-2012, 12:12 AM
I have not had a chance to look at it over the past couple of days, but I will let you know what I find out. Spark plugs, really? That would be a nice easy fix.
Mike

Stan MI
03-19-2012, 08:29 PM
I have not had a chance to look at it over the past couple of days, but I will let you know what I find out. Spark plugs, really? That would be a nice easy fix.
Mike

wildwood 1, You get a chance to look at it yet ????? I have a similar issue and just changes the plugs. Helped, but it could be better. Just wondering if you found the fix ??????

rlitman
03-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Pull the plugs, and have a close look at them. There is a lot of diagnostic information about the internal operations of an engine you can get from just "reading" the plugs.
If you can get a good picture of the portion of the plugs that is inside the engine, I'm sure someone can tell you something useful.

P.Services
03-19-2012, 10:06 PM
all these guys are saying what i would say. I had a 22hp kawi liquid cooled that acted the same way. Was only running on one cylinder until it warmed up enough to detonate the gas in the other one. It would run the same if i unplugged the wire.

heather lawn sp
03-20-2012, 03:10 AM
I have found on a Kawi we have when the 'ignitor' on one side went bad the engine would drop to half power. I would check it by pulling the spark plug wires off one at a time, first on one side, re-install it and then on the other side. When the wire was off the 'good' side the engine would not start at all. (bad ignitor on one side and pulled wire on the good side, no spark at all). The fix was 2 bolts out and a wire connection. It took longer to go get the part than it did to install it.

Landrus2
03-20-2012, 06:50 AM
All what these guys said is right advice start by the plugs .

CS-LAWNSERVICE
03-20-2012, 07:30 AM
reading spark plugs (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp)

Compare your plugs to the pics in the link it will tell you if your lean or rich on which cylinders