PDA

View Full Version : Who has Insurance???

Mike1977
02-15-2012, 07:56 AM
This is year 2 for me and I feel I need to have insurance for my 15-20 clients I mow. I dont think Statefarm offers this for my business. If I shoot a rock and break a window or worse yet, someone gets hurt from one of my mowers.... I want to know it will be covered.

Can you tell me who you use and perhaps the monthly (or yearly) price? Also, do you need fulll year round coverage?

When I had a mortgage it was O&E insurance I needed to have. I dont know who or what type of insurance is needed.

Crimson Lawn
02-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Mike,
Shop around for general liability. $500,000 to $1 mil in coverage.
Its not to expensive. I carry $1 mil with an upgraded coverage and blanket.
It runs about $75.00 a month. I shopped Allstate,State Farm and Shelter
before I setteled on American Family. Just remember cheap insurance only
saves you money til there is a claim, then you cant find them.

MOturkey
02-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Any insurance agent can advise you as to what coverage you need. My 1 million general liability business policy with $25,000 inland marine (covers your equipment) runs about $800 per year. Rock through a window coverage is actually not what you need, unless it is an extremely expensive window, because I think you'll find most all have a $500 deductible, and most guys will just pay small damages rather than file a claim. What is important is the high limit liability in case of bodily injury, which could potentially keep you from losing everything you have.

Insurance is not that expensive, and virtually every company out there offers installment payment options, so it is quite possible to get a policy in place for $100 or so. You are smart to do so.

Wecutgrass
02-15-2012, 10:18 AM
your not cutting your 20 clients by your self? i don't see the need for insurance with only 20 accounts.

orangemower
02-15-2012, 11:28 AM
your not cutting your 20 clients by your self? i don't see the need for insurance with only 20 accounts.

One or twenty, it only take one accident.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dr.NewEarth
02-15-2012, 12:20 PM
We ALL SHOULD CARRY THE MINIMUM LIABILITY INSURANCE AND WORKERS COMPENSATION. JOIN YOUR LANDSCAPE ASSOCIATION AND GET A DISCOUNT.

J & D Greens
02-15-2012, 12:21 PM
When I started I did not have insurance for the first year. I only had twenty or so clients and worked very hard at a full time job also.
I decided I needed insurance so at the beginning of the season I was going to get the insurance out of what I was making on the early odd jobs. Now I was edging the side walk in front of one of my best clients. I caught a rock and shot it right through the rear side window of her fiends cars, if that would have been a person that would have been the end of my family financially. So as soon as I could I got the insurance.

We shopped around and got our policy from American Family Insurance, I can't off the top of my head tell you how much it covers, but it does cover at least 1mil general liability and covers my equipment against theft up to the amount that if I lost my everything I would be able to replace enough equipment to keep things going. It also covers things you may have to rent. The policy runs us around $800 per year.

On my truck we stayed with our Allstate agent. It is a older vehicle 85 Ford F-150 4X4 with a plow. They cover it for another $800 per year for commercial use.

I hope this is helpful because if you are like me I want to do things as legit as possible. We just did our taxes and things went very well. Remember most of these expenses are detectable. I feel that I should keep these expenses in the biz. side of things so you can really be able to count the costs of running your Biz.

Gatewayuser
02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
This is 8th year, been with Grange, State Auto and State Farm. So far I like State Farm the best. I have a 4 mil policy and it costs around $60 per month. They can't insure you in all states though.

clydebusa
02-15-2012, 03:46 PM
One or twenty, it only take one accident.
Posted via Mobile Device

So true.. get insurance.. you will sleep better.

J & D Greens
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Yeah, Insurance, paying Taxes, and any licensing necessary, I sleep much better!!!

360 Lawn Service
02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
State Farm gives me a contractors policy which has a 2 million liability, and I have a 1 million vehicle rider added. Some companies require 1 mill on your vehicles when on their property. This cost me $40.00 per month. I have workmans comp. for $900.00 per year. This is in Indiana
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike1977
02-15-2012, 08:08 PM
sweet, thanks for the replies and the prices.
I made a mistake, Im with Farmers. I called and they dont offer bus ins, or my agent doesnt know whats what. I think Ill check around the larger ins companies. bundle everything, house, 4 vehicles, motorcycle.... bet my agent knows who I can talk to when I tell him that.

jsslawncare
02-15-2012, 08:37 PM
Insurance- I wouldn't leave home without it.

JimLewis
02-16-2012, 03:06 AM
Insurance is cheap, dude. Just get it. And then you know you are covered and also you are a professional. Only pikers run a business like this without insurance. Get legit.

We have 28 workers, do $2Mil. a year in sales and our liability policy ($1Mil. Aggregate) is under $3,800 a year.

For someone like you, it should be more like $50-$100 a month. CHEAP! Just do it. It's part of being a legitimate business.

lawnsbybrown
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Anyone in Maine, how's your insurance costs and who do you find to be the best?
Posted via Mobile Device

jrsimpson77
02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
I pay about $1100.00 for my commercial truck policy and 1Mil general Liab Insurance but it doesn't cover trailers, or equipment....Do most General Liab policies cover your equipment and trailer?