PDA

View Full Version : touching up shrubs with string trimmer

williams lcm
02-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Who touches up shrubs with a string trimmer? If I see a stalk shooting up on a shrub I with hit with my string trimmer when in the area weed wacking. This helps it look better a littler longer between trimmings with a hedge trimmer. I seen a guy trimming a complete shrub at a commerical burger king with a string trimmer. Acutally it did not look to bad. I would not trim a complete shrub this way but he was.

Ric
02-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Who touches up shrubs with a string trimmer? If I see a stalk shooting up on a shrub I with hit with my string trimmer when in the area weed wacking. This helps it look better a littler longer between trimmings with a hedge trimmer. I seen a guy trimming a complete shrub at a commerical burger king with a string trimmer. Acutally it did not look to bad. I would not trim a complete shrub this way but he was.

William

What can I say??? A real Class act that I could only read about on LS.

Florida Gardener
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM

Wow....your joking, right? Have you heard of felco?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark Oomkes
02-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Who touches up shrubs with a string trimmer?

Scrubs?

Hacks?

Fly-by-nighters?

Lawnboys?

Lawnturds?

I better stop now.

I know, I'm in Michigan, but I saw the title and couldn't believe what I was reading.

fl-landscapes
02-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Scrubs?

Hacks?

Fly-by-nighters?

Lawnboys?

Lawnturds?

I better stop now.

I know, I'm in Michigan, but I saw the title and couldn't believe what I was reading.

And people who don't belong in this industry, and who won't be for long

Mark Oomkes
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
And people who don't belong in this industry, and who won't be for long

What's even worse is admitting in public on a forum dedicated (allegedly) to the bettering of the industry that one uses this technique.

williams lcm
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
I see guys do that alot around here in between shrub trimmings.Just hitting a little stalk here and their that appear after a week or 2 of complete hedge trimming with a hedge trimmer on the virburium. I thought it was odd to see the guy trim the shrubs with a string trimmer. It blew my mind.

jvanvliet
02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Weed wacker? Oh no :nono::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Get a hand clipper (Felco pruning shears) and clip them off.

Glad you came here to learn, I'm not going to harangue you about it.

Listen and learn :waving:

Keith
02-15-2012, 07:11 PM
To Williams. You had to know what kind of replies you were going to get with this :D

But the answer is no, don't do it. It will leave an unclean cut that invites problems. That said, I bet almost everyone here is guilty of lifting up the string trimmer to catch that one lone wolf shoot growing out of that otherwise perfectly level hedge when no one is looking :)
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
02-15-2012, 07:16 PM
I edge the Jasmine with it once in awhile. How do others edge Jasmine. I'm not going to stick my hedge trimmer into the dirt.

Tri-City Outdoors
02-15-2012, 07:53 PM
I edge the Jasmine with it once in awhile. How do others edge Jasmine. I'm not going to stick my hedge trimmer into the dirt.

We started to use the WW on the jasmine. Ever since my knee got cut open using an HS45. We'll also use the edger to trim by the dirt.

Landscape Poet
02-15-2012, 09:03 PM

Depends on the height and density of the Jasmine. If it does not exceed the height of the edger blade I will use a edger on the sides. If it is taller than the blade of the edger the trimmer is getting used. I (try) not to use the trimmer on the top as it can leave a browned damaged appearance....but sometime you got to do what you got to do. *trucewhiteflag*

jvanvliet
02-16-2012, 06:36 AM

Don't blame you, it'll dull the blades; dull blades on the hedge trimmer will do as much if not more damage than a weed wacker.

Why not maintain the Jasmine to keep it from gowing out down to the dirt?

unkownfl
02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Don't blame you, it'll dull the blades; dull blades on the hedge trimmer will do as much if not more damage than a weed wacker.

Why not maintain the Jasmine to keep it from gowing out down to the dirt?

The Jasmine is only 6 inches tall under oaks usually.

integrityman
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
To Williams. You had to know what kind of replies you were going to get with this :D

But the answer is no, don't do it. It will leave an unclean cut that invites problems. That said, I bet almost everyone here is guilty of lifting up the string trimmer to catch that one lone wolf shoot growing out of that otherwise perfectly level hedge when no one is looking :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Guilty- I've definitely "eliminated" the odd stragler with Stihl Kombi - but never ever anything beyond that. I will say it works ok for taxus- but not on anything woodier like viburnim or euonymous.:hammerhead:

jvanvliet
02-17-2012, 07:07 PM
The Jasmine is only 6 inches tall under oaks usually.

Ah, I see, Sahara drench; problem solved :p