PDA

View Full Version : How To Kill Out Pampas Grass w/out Chemicals

CK82
02-15-2012, 04:18 PM
Hey fellas,

I have a customer who has an out of control 15ft.+ circle of pampas grass she'd like removed. I would normally kill it out with chemicals and till. In this case there are cable/telephone/and power wires all running through the area. She'd like the area killed off w/out chemicals and then reseed with ketucky blue/fescue/etc.

Would laying a thick tarp over the area during the growing season take care of this? Or will it just come back after the tarp is removed?

Any info would be great.

Thanks, Chris

Mark Oomkes
02-15-2012, 04:28 PM
Pampas grass in Wisconsin?

CK82
02-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I guess it could be a switch/reed grass of some sort as well. Either way, it is a larger ornamental grass.

Mark Oomkes
02-15-2012, 04:44 PM
Proper ID is always a good idea in trying to determine a method of control or eradication.

TJ LAWN
02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Gas and a Match......The Fire will burn off any Chemical Residue......:dancing:

CK82
02-16-2012, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the "helpful" replies. Its a large section of switch grass. If I was using a chemical and looking to selectively weed out something from a lawn or flower bed then your replies would be great.

So has anyone ever tried the tarp and let sit for awhile trick? Does it work, or would it come back? I would imagine it would choke it out, if during the growing season.

Thank you.

Dr.NewEarth
02-17-2012, 01:57 AM
If you have time to wait, Cut the grass right down to its mound. As close as you can get it to the ground, and keep it short. Continue to remove any-thing that pops up throughout the season.

This will deplete the energy in the roots. Also, if you are able to cut back during the winter and it freezes outside, then the plant usually dies as it has no protection.

Mark Oomkes
02-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the "helpful" replies. Its a large section of switch grass. If I was using a chemical and looking to selectively weed out something from a lawn or flower bed then your replies would be great.

So has anyone ever tried the tarp and let sit for awhile trick? Does it work, or would it come back? I would imagine it would choke it out, if during the growing season.

Thank you.

It would take time, just as any non-herbicide control will.