PDA

View Full Version : Stone walkway

Mowinfasterthanu
02-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Ok so i was asked by one of my accounts to do a stone walk way. I have been cutting grass for a long time but have never done this kind of work... The walk way is allready dug out and stones in place .... its just falling apart because the one who did the job before didnt use a border. So all i will have to buy at most is a few stones , sand and a border.

The walk way is 37 feet long and about 3 feet wide.... From what i can guess the stuff i need should run me around 50-75$ . Only thing i need help with is how to price it. Its a company and the want it done at night or early in the am . I was hoping someone on here could help a guy out with a ballpark of what i should charge.... Thanks in advance!!!

Smallaxe
02-16-2012, 08:11 AM
13 yards long... How much time would it take you to correctly edge, 1 yard? How much time and mileage to secure the materials?

I'm concerned that if you're getting sand along with more stone, that this could turn into a real nightmare. Can't you just place the edge and finish off with stone? Is there a barrier under the stone?

Mowinfasterthanu
02-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Well as far as getting supplys theres a landscape supply and a home depot very close . Within 2 miles.... I just have to re edge it. It was a walk way 2 years ago , someone just never put a border and the sand washed away.

I only need a few stones and sand .... Take everything out and redo it . Materials i need should be in the 50-75$ range i think. I just need a few stones to fill in some gaps and sand ...Oh and the border should be fairly cheap... I thinking for me and one other person maybe 4 hours.

Thank you for your help.... Hope this helps so i can shoot this guy a good quote... Im just worried ill bid to low and screw my self....

Gilmore.Landscaping
02-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I am not sure you are understanding what causes walkways to fail. A picture would help greatly, but you are going to be into more then just boarder stone I think. Sounds like you should stick to mowing for now and learn from someone with more experience doing this.

Dr.NewEarth
02-16-2012, 02:31 PM
You should look on the Hardscape forum.

You will probably want a landscape fabric under the rocks to prevent weeds.

Mowinfasterthanu
02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
I am not sure you are understanding what causes walkways to fail. A picture would help greatly, but you are going to be into more then just boarder stone I think. Sounds like you should stick to mowing for now and learn from someone with more experience doing this.

Its not that hard of a project really .... Most of the work has allready been done i just have to redo it.. No i might not understand what causes them to fail , but thats why i asked here for some help . I have a son to feed and i really need this work!

The walk way is large{ 1footx1foot to 2foot x 1 foot sizes ) flat stones . They used to have sand to fill in the gaps and make it look nice. Then the stones started to spread and someone used pea gravel in a half way attempt to fix it. They just want me to remove whats there get leveling sand and redo the stones so it looks nice again... I was going use steaks and some plastic roll top border to make it look really nice....

I am just not sure where to start the bid....

Mowinfasterthanu
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
You should look on the Hardscape forum.

You will probably want a landscape fabric under the rocks to prevent weeds.

Thank u sir....! i didnt think of that...doh....So now its looking like 100$ in materials

Hughes Landscaping
02-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Thank u sir....! i didnt think of that...doh....So now its looking like 100$ in materials

Are you in Kennesaw, GA? If so, we can help you with the walkway.

Mowinfasterthanu
02-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Yes ... i am in kennesaw ga... Please any help would be great !

Mowinfasterthanu
02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
I put in a bid of 450$ ... 150 for things needed then 4 hours work at 60$ a hour plus a little extra if i need more if end up needing a little help....

jansenjp
02-21-2012, 09:35 PM
Its not that hard of a project really .... Most of the work has allready been done i just have to redo it.. No i might not understand what causes them to fail , but thats why i asked here for some help . I have a son to feed and i really need this work!

The walk way is large{ 1footx1foot to 2foot x 1 foot sizes ) flat stones . They used to have sand to fill in the gaps and make it look nice. Then the stones started to spread and someone used pea gravel in a half way attempt to fix it. They just want me to remove whats there get leveling sand and redo the stones so it looks nice again... I was going use steaks and some plastic roll top border to make it look really nice....

I am just not sure where to start the bid....
There's your problem.....steaks can be expensive

Smallaxe
02-22-2012, 08:59 AM
OK, that is a whole different stone walkway than I envisioned. Some kind of edging may be called for, but I can't imagine 'stakes' being anything but tacky...
Will it take you all day to haul stuff around and fix it up? Don't use plastic for any part of that job... landscape fabric, is also, an unnecessary expense...

Five Points
02-26-2012, 12:54 AM
I just skimmed alot of replies. I do some stone work. I do alot of repairs like this. If it fell apart or moved. I usuallyfind it easier to rip it out and start over. Maybe not dug out deep enough or not enough base material, compacted well or not at all.

I'm not sure of your situation, just some things to consider. If a job is worth doin its worth doin right. (especially the second time)

I also think when you deal with what you can't see or maybe not enough expierience in you may want to go time and materials, with a estimate of time to to do.

Cloud9Landscapes
02-26-2012, 03:55 AM
You said they want this work done at night? If I understanded that correctly, that automatically will raise what you need to charge for this work. I can see this becoming challenging because the environment will be hard to work in because you will have to provide lighting for the area. Another factor is that if you run into any additional supplies that you may need, any supply house will be closed.
There are borders made for this application, wooden stakes will rot and I think the "roll top" border you are referring to is made solely for separating lawns and flowerbeds.
Any base material that is there will have to be graded and compacted with a plate compactor which you will have to rent, don't forget to factor that in.
Jointing sand is what you use for in between the pavers after they're laid, it hardens and adheres the pavers together, unlike regular sand which washes away.

Wrong forum section btw, prolly not a bad idea to post it here unless you are prepared for some intense advice haha

Pressedun
02-26-2012, 10:41 PM

Totally agree with this one, don't try to learn how to be a hardscaper over night... leave it to someone that knows exactly what they're doing.

NC Greenscaper
02-27-2012, 07:34 PM
Why don't you let them know that you don't have much experience doing this kind of work, but would like to give it a try. Give them your estimate and work your way through the job. Most of these types of repairs are going to be more involved than your prepared for, so its going to be a learning experience for you.