PDA

View Full Version : Hooked up Brake Controller and it throws sparks??

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Guys,

Got my Hopkins Affinity proportional controller several days back, and installed it in my 06 Dakota. Had the Dakota factory harness with the truck, and spliced the wires with the controller wires. Double checked it to make sure I wired it up right. Completely sealed the crimp and go connectors with black elec tape. Then I plugged the controller in., screwed the mounting bracket to the underside of my dash. Finally, I went to screw in the controller to the mounting bracket, and to my surprise, when I insert the screws, I get sparks?!? Huh?

Not sure what is happening, anyone have ideas? The controller appears to be working as I can activate my truck brake lights by pushing the override button on the controller. Have not tried it on my trailer yet as I do not have it yet.

Something that should have taken 20 minutes to do is now a pain.....

Fireguy97
02-16-2012, 04:08 PM
I went to screw in the controller to the mounting bracket, when I insert the screws, I get sparks

A short, or you mixed up pos and neg.

Mick

DoetschOutdoor
02-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Brake controller for pulling a 5x8 trailer? Or did you get a bigger trailer?

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-16-2012, 04:55 PM
Brake controller for pulling a 5x8 trailer? Or did you get a bigger trailer?

No I have on order a 7x14 dual axle enclosed.

Also, not sure how I could have mixed up the wiring, checked and double checked it. And my truck's brake lights are activated by pushing the override button on the controller, which suggests I did wire it up right. I am a bit confused by this.......

GravelyGuy
02-16-2012, 05:02 PM
And that's why everyone recommended the P3 with a $15 harness lol.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-16-2012, 05:05 PM

I suppose I deserve this....BUT I would expect the difference to be in performance if anything, not just hooking the dang thing up.

GravelyGuy
02-16-2012, 05:07 PM
I suppose I deserve this....BUT I would expect the difference to be in performance if anything, not just hooking the dang thing up.

Yeah, I agree. I was just giving you a hard time. I stick with what works and I don't do wiring, sorry.

ParkWelding
02-16-2012, 07:22 PM

Haha, damn you beat me to it.

Sounds like you have the brake output hooked up to the brake light input. Which would mean that you have at least one other connection f'd up too.

djagusch
02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
The chief of research has a issue. If wiring is good then the money saved for nothing. Hard to return electrical items.
Posted via Mobile Device

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
It may not be the unit IDK. Just wondering if anyone has had such an issue. It might be my truck too. So far u guys not much help but I'll keep the faith.....

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
I got to fiddling with the thing again tonight. My truck has some loose current running in the metal behind the dash, and the controller bracket contacts the metal hence the sparks.
I am for sure getting that checked out, not good. Not sure where I will mount the controller now.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-27-2012, 05:24 PM
Fixed my problem. I had popped a fuse under my hood and got that replaced. We then deduced that my first controller was defective and was grounding out. Sent it back and got a replacement. Installed and works and no grounding/sparking.