PDA

View Full Version : Stihl HL75 gear head

WhitakerServices
02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
my long reach hedge clipper has a worn pinion gear.... the 2 sided pinion gear located in between the shaft pinion and the final pinion gear.

Has anyone here replaced this part before?
Should I replace all 3 pinion gears as a set? (MOST of the wear is on the 2 sided pinion)
Is it cost prohibitive to replace? IOW will I find that for an additional $50 I can replace the whole gear head?

thanks in advance for the help.

dboyd351
02-16-2012, 06:04 PM
IOW will I find that for an additional $50 I can replace the whole gear head?

Guess I'm old school, but I don't know what a IOW is. Is it too much work for you to write out 3 words?

WhitakerServices
02-16-2012, 07:07 PM
In other words....
Sorry to annoy, geez
Posted via Mobile Device

dboyd351
02-17-2012, 01:42 PM
I have rebuilt articulating hedge trimmer heads before and found it worthwhile. Mine had a broken case, not stripped gears, and it was a cheap brand, not a Stihl, but after the rebuild it works like new for less than 1/2 the cost of replacement. Stihl parts tend to be extra pricey, so I can't vouch for the cost effectiveness of your rebuild.
I think if you only replace some of the gears, the fix will not last nearly as long because the gear meshing with the worn gear invariably has some wear, even if it is hard to see.
IOW:laugh:, I think the rebuild will work fine, but you need to price the parts to see if it appears cost effective to do so.

WhitakerServices
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
cost is about 100 for the entire gear set, however the upper and lower pinions are pressed in (I think) which may cause me some problems replacing. the entire gear head replacement is about 250, i dont know which way I am going to go....

does anyone know for sure if the upper and lower pinions are pressed in?

dboyd351
02-21-2012, 02:19 PM
I don't know if they are pressed in, but if they are you may be able to put a block of pine (i.e, a piece of 2x4 or 1x4) on either side of the parts you are trying to press together, put it in a vise or use a drill press and press them together. The wood is softer than the metal gears, so it will save them from being crushed.